Mu Shu Chicken (C-)

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Ok, we've had some discussion in a few threads recently about how things don't always turn out the way you planned. Tonight was one of those nights for me, as I tried to make Mu Shu Chicken for the first time. I have some good thoughts about what I can change, do differently, or just about why it didn't go well.....

I used THIS RECIPE, including the linked recipe for Mandarin Pancakes (I mean, what's mu shu without pancakes?!?!) So, pancakes first..... the dough came together fine, and even rolled out ok with two dough balls stacked on top of each other to make two pancakes at a time. However, when it came time to peel the pancakes apart, well......let's just say that didn't go quite as described in the recipe. :) So, I ended up with six pancakes instead of 12, they were thicker than I wanted (lots of spring back when rolling, and I was on the clock, so didn't have time to let things rest), and, candidly, once we got to eating them they were bland and a bit tough. Lessons learned: reduce kneading time as there was too much gluten development, roll single pancakes at a time, and make them earlier and just keep warm.

Next up.....the star of the show, the Mu Shu. I should point out here that I deviated from the recipe as written. Since I'm not likely to use dried wood ear mushrooms or dried lily flowers much, I really didn't want to (a) hunt them down, and (b) have them in my pantry. So, I used some fresh shiitake mushrooms I found at the farmers market today (conveniently, right next to the Napa cabbage!) :) Everything with the stir fry went ok, however, I was lacking heat today. Same setup as I've used before with a full chimney of lit coals, and a nice preheat on the wok, but wind is the enemy of stored heat (as we all know from running WSM's in the wind.) So, nothing went as quickly as it should, the chicken steamed more than anything else, and I couldn't cook the liquid in the recipe off quickly enough to have a drier dish (you know, so the pancakes don't fall apart when you look at them), but I didn't want to cook it any longer for fear of ending up with rubber chicken. So, lesson learned on this portion is I need to consider the wind when I'm wokking outdoors, or I need to fire up the stove top!

The meal was not a total loss, as the flavors were there (if a bit more muted than I'd like......), and I think I can make some tweaks to come out with a more successful dish the next time. I did get a few photos, so.....

Mise en place (Chicken, cabbage, bamboo shoots, garlic, Shaoxing wine, cooking sauce, egg, mushrooms)

1655087224543.jpeg

Shrooms, garlic and bamboo in the wok

1655087232115.jpeg

Everybody in the pool!

1655087238277.jpeg

Finished dish

1655087244408.jpeg

Side note, the dried wood ear is actually pretty good. Ranch 99 has them and you should have a Ranch 99 nearby.

Heat up some water in the microwave and then place one or two dried wood ear shrooms in the heated water.

When hydrated, thinly slice the wood ear and use the mushroom liquid in your sauce for this dish. It adds a nice flavor.

You could also run smaller wood ear pieces in a spice grinder and sprinkle the powder into the wok’s liquid. Again, more flavor and umami into the dish.

Good looking cook, even with all your challenges today.

Not a total loss, and it still looks pretty good. Learn, remember and nail it the next time.

+1 on dried mushrooms. They keep very long.
No need to microwave. Just soak in hot water. I use the soaking water as well.
One thing you can do, if you see too much liquid, it to pour it off, but that my change the taste.
Alternatively, remove chicken etc with a skimmer (?) And boil the liquid till reduced.
A wind shield may work as well. I use one made from a piece of roofing sheet ;)

But your meal looks wonderful and tasty!

Rich,
Bummer on your meal not coming together as planned. I didn’t realize you were human when it came to cooking. It is nice to see that even you have an average dish once every century. Side note you could never tell by the photos, it looks great.

Back