More Shorty's.

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
I was asked instructed by the CFO to do beef short ribs today.
Trimmed & SPOG'd overnight in the fridge. I didn’t have the real estate to get the 5-bone plate on the 14.5 Bullet. (I only cook on the top grate). Had to adapt,(see 1st pic). Heat Beads & Whisky stave wood chunks for fuel & smoke.
All going grate until 1.5 hrs in. Pit temp started to plummet. I have no idea why. It’s a bit cool and breezey with sunny spells. Nothing at all to worry about. I’ve cooked in hell of a lot worse. Pit prep was the same as always. Pit temp probe not touching the meat.
Gave it a few kicks in the shins, and opened up the throttles. No joy.
Time to do the hot-squat to see if there was anything untowards going on in the charcoal ring. WTH!? It looked as if the briqs were going out! Firm action required. Gave the charcoal ring a good shake, and a few vigorous wafts with a piece of cardboard. The pit took off like a scolded cat! Chucked another chunk of whisky stave on. Now sitting pretty at 265F. Back later....hopefully with good results.

IMG_1249.JPG IMG_1250.JPG

Last edited:
Well folks, that whole cooked sucked from start to finish.
I had trouble all day trying to keep the pit stable. I have no idea why. My prep was the same as always. I had to top up with briqs....twice, to keep it around 270F, all lower vents literally at warp speed. I've never, ever had to do that before. Weather was not an issue. My fuel was not an issue, as I keep it in sealed plastic containers. It all went pear-shaped form the get-go @1.5hrs in.
I eventually, after 8hrs, got the shorts up to 205IT. They probed nicely, and had a good wobble, but hardly any pull-back on the bone. I knew then it was crap. We managed to salvage a sandwich each. I'd rather have chewed my work boot. The rest will go into a soup. C- at best.
When I was trimming them I had reservations. It didn't look like a good cut. The cook returns were pitiful. I think the product was below par.
I'm not a happy camper. :(

Sorry to hear the bad news. I had the same experience cooked up a rack of baby backs on the camp chef the same exact way I've done the last 10 or so racks. We ended up throwing the whole rack, out dry as a bone inedible.
Hate it when I'm the bug instead of the windshield.

Sorry to hear that Hephaestus frowned on your cook, it happens from time to time, you and I have swapped stories about the one that went sideways before, it happens.

Yep, Big H works in mysterious ways. It just seems odd that everything went South from the get-go. Weird.

Last edited:
Well damn... Your methods are bullet proof, just one of those times the BBQ Gods wasn't looking your way

Back