Mondays Brisket Cook

MichaelD

TVWBB Fan
Today’s cookout on the 22 Weber Smokey Mountain. I went with a simple kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic rub. Cooked with a empty, wrapped water pan over a blend of Kingsford blue, cowboy lump and pecan chunks for 11.5 hours. I wrapped in pink butcher paper once it looked the way I like it to and it stayed there until it was probe tender. I usually don’t get such a nice smoke ring and I’m not sure I got a good one this time because of the lack of water or the addition of lump coal.

What is your opinion. Was the better smoke ring a side effect of the empty water pan? The addition of lump coal? A combination of both?

R7SFzYk.jpg

K7J6aN6.jpg

IEIYN4O.jpg

CoiRALv.jpg

What is your opinion. Was the better smoke ring a side effect of the empty water pan? The addition of lump coal? A combination of both?
CoiRALv.jpg
I have no clue but I do know when I see a killer cook and that's a killer cook Michael! Excellent!!!

Man that looks good and the smoke ring is amazing! I fight with getting a good smoke ring. Theoretically, water in the pan should help so I have no idea why that's so good. I also can't see why lump charcoal would matter.

Man that looks good and the smoke ring is amazing! I fight with getting a good smoke ring. Theoretically, water in the pan should help so I have no idea why that's so good. I also can't see why lump charcoal would matter.

Thanks! I don’t understand it either. Until this cook I’ve always used the water pan filled with water and I find my briskets with minimal smoke ring, if any. I’ve never added lump coal along with the usual briquettes until this cook. I think next time I’ll use the water pan filled with water and also add lump coal to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Don't have a clue about the smoke ring other than it looks great. I have never used water in my WSM and sometimes I get a nice smoke ring and sometimes nothing at all.

Great looking ribs and smoke ring. Like Rich said we get the smoke ring one time and not the next. They're still good anyway.

That is some tremendous bark on your briskie. Congrats on that smoke ring too. I find a good and consistent smoke ring to be elusive for me as well. Keep notes or a journal on your cooks and repeat successes to see if you're on to something.

Last edited:
That's a fine looking brisket. Love the smoke ring.

Low, slow & high ambient humidity for that smoke ring?

Back