Mofongo Asada

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
If you been to the D.R or Puerto Rico you probably have had this bit of heaven, for those who have not or who want to make it thought I would post.

Skirt, with the medieval treatment, then dusted with Chef Merito's Carne Asada Spice. Then in to the bag with OJ, onion, orange and lemon slices.

DSC_1628_zpsc71d0633.jpg

DSC_1629_zps25a50ada.jpg

DSC_1631_zpsec42317d.jpg

Next the Mofongo, first a lot of garlic diced up, in with a pinch of Kosher and some EVOO. Mashed together real good

DSC_1635_zpsfb759647.jpg

Green Plantains (not ripe) peeled. A little tip if you do this, after peeling use your knife and scrape the outer layer off the Plantain. It comes out much nicer if you do, just a little, you'll see what I mean, cut into slices about 3/4". Then fry for about seven or eight minutes, you want them golden just slight browning starting. Then remove and dry on paper towels.

DSC_1636_zps5a81b203.jpg

DSC_1638_zpscbe2195f.jpg

DSC_1640_zpsa346d633.jpg

Crush the Plantains, with the garlic mix and most of a medium bag of Chicharrones, add a little EVOO and chicken broth to get the consistency that will let you form them into a mound. Oh yea, fry one piece of bacon and dice that up and add it too.

DSC_1641_zps08ee2dd7.jpg

DSC_1642_zps532c67a3.jpg

Next page

Last edited:
Carne on the OTG after the first turn

DSC_1643_zps03d7253a.jpg

Your plate, poured the juice from the resting meat on the Mofongo

DSC_1645_zps8f229e73.jpg

Time to chill

DSC_1648_zps38b02096.jpg

I'm going to give that a try this week!!!
The meat prep is much the same as some of the local Mexican meat markets do around here when I buy carne asada, except they don't tenderize the Arranchera Preparada.
& they only add the OJ (narangia agria?), orange slices & cilantro when they feel like it.

Bill
May i ask what you do for a living?, because you must have a cooking background to post such a different variety of recipes with excellent results and presentations.

Bill
May i ask what you do for a living?, because you must have a cooking background to post such a different variety of recipes with excellent results and presentations.

No Jeff just a love of food from around the world, lot of great stuff out there and I try everything. I retired from the Police Dept after thirty years and went right to work again. I am the Constable for two counties here in NJ. Keeps me busy but I am my own Boss.

Plantains, garlic, and chicharrón on top of skirt steak? Yes, please! Another phenomenal culinary endeavor, Bill.

Bill, you never cease to impress! I cook a lot of my meals the same way over-and-over. With 2 little ones in the house, I stick with what I KNOW will get eaten at dinner time. But I LOVE your variety and multi-cultured background. Gotta start trying some of your cooks I've saved :)

No Jeff just a love of food from around the world, lot of great stuff out there and I try everything. I retired from the Police Dept after thirty years and went right to work again. I am the Constable for two counties here in NJ. Keeps me busy but I am my own Boss.

Thanks Bill for the response, who knew The Fuzz/Constable could make us drool with his cooking expertise.;)
Keep the cooks and new recipes coming.:cool:

I tried something similar........way before I found Chef Merito's on Tony's recommendation....... I LOVE that stuff!

I think about getting this skirt steak every time I go to (or past) the store.

Pass me a plate and a drink please :)

Back