Mods Complete - Maybe?

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I have modified every smoker that I've owned and when I ordered my EX6 in 2020 I told myself that I wouldn't modify it. Before I ever put pellets in it, I had made 2 mods to the pellet hopper. Since then I have added bigger casters, a folding front shelf, and replaced the cooking grates. I think that I have also finished the mods to the used EX4 I picked up in January. Both grills have the Gen2 upgrades, new casters, a folding front shelf, and I think that the grate configurations fits how I use the grills. The EX6 got the Joe's Grill Grates 14" expanded metal top grate and that's my main cooking grate on it. The vast majority of EX6 cooks are low and slow. Last winter, I found a great sale on the 24" Weber Spirit 300 stainless GBS grates and put them on the right side of the EX6 and they completely cover the EX4. I wanted to go all stainless on the EX4 because that's primarily for hot and fast cooks. I had almost given up on finding a stainless 14"X24" upper grate when there it was. It was here 4 days after I ordered. https://grillpartssearch.com/usa-made-cooking-grid... and it's a perfect fit. I really like the 4 inches of extra depth and my GrillBot works on the 14" grate. :) .Cooking Grates EX4.jpgCooking Grates EX6.jpg

Lew,
I think all your upgrades are spot-on. Still looking for an EX-4 I can get grudgingly approved by the high command when we already have too many pressing house and other needs.

That stainless grate for the EX-4 looks wonderful, not that I don't like the expanded metal one on your EX-6. The GrillPartsSearch place needs to promote that grate for the SmokeFire. I know if I land a SmokeFire EX-4 that I will get that grate. Like you, I also have some of those stainless GBS grates which also seem a perfect fix for the EX-4 to me. I like that the GBS part sets right above the firepot. I even have an old cast iron version I could conceivably use.

Lew thanks to you I have the expanded metal top grate, which is so amazing for smoking. I also have the GBS and a 3rd stainless grate for the bottom. I also have a couple CI grates for the bottom I miss cooking on. I’ve done some quick easy stuff on the SF recently and l love it.
That stainless grate in your EX4 is awesome!!
Got a couple shoulders in the freezer waiting for opening day of the Niners season. Can’t wait!!

Last edited:
Lew,
I think all your upgrades are spot-on. Still looking for an EX-4 I can get grudgingly approved by the high command when we already have too many pressing house and other needs.

That stainless grate for the EX-4 looks wonderful, not that I don't like the expanded metal one on your EX-6. The GrillPartsSearch place needs to promote that grate for the SmokeFire. I know if I land a SmokeFire EX-4 that I will get that grate. Like you, I also have some of those stainless GBS grates which also seem a perfect fix for the EX-4 to me. I like that the GBS part sets right above the firepot. I even have an old cast iron version I could conceivably use.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Jon, that grate is a replacement for a Charbroil gas grill but it's a perfect fit. The Weber Spirit 300 grates gas grill fit the EX4 like a glove. I think you will appreciate this. My love of stainless grates started with my RT-300. That was my first stainless grate and WOW! Good luck with your search.

Wish I could help Larry, but my wife doesn’t want me to make any road trips today, (it’s my birthday) I have a couple or errands but, nothing that would get me close enough to help. Sorry buddy!

Wish I could help Larry, but my wife doesn’t want me to make any road trips today, (it’s my birthday) I have a couple or errands but, nothing that would get me close enough to help. Sorry buddy!
It's OK. I'm gonna check with one of my neighbors and see if someone can help me lift it.

Offer a plate of food from the first cook and you'll have neighbors lining up to help assemble :)
Well the neighbor helped me last week get the replacement Z Grill up and out. Then we got the old one to his place. He was so excited we ended up having a hot dog party. Good beers and then over to my place and enjoyed some VERY nice bourbon on the deck in front of my new to me Weber Flame and then another neighbor came by. Was a nice evening.

Good! Friends and neighbors that are willing to help are a godsend!
Some years back, we had some awful straight line winds that hit after we had left for the cottage. My brother said “You need to come home right now!” I called a couple of long standing Friends, they came over and checked the house (NO damage) and cleared the blown down fence to help with flower bed damage. I got a call, “Mix up another batch of Manhattans and enjoy the time away, nothing is “that bad”.”
Those guys have been friends through some of my toughest times, still ones I know I can count on.
The repayment with feasts is wonderful time with them. One has moved to Virginia, the other is still in town.

Back