Mod for top vent cap (for shielding rain)?

Harry S

I have searched around but didn't find any good hits, but I was looking to see if anyone has done a top vent mod to act as a rain shield (besides the clamp on umbrella that's on the cold temp page) :)? Some other smokers come with this standard and I would love to have something for my WSM.

Currently I make an aluminum foil shield that wraps around the lid handle to suspend it above the vent, but that's not a great solution because the wind likes to blow it out of place...

Harry.

How about a tin can that will fit over the vent tab? Punch some holes in the side to allow the smoke to escape & maintain the draught. Mind you, the wind could also blow it off.

I removed the original post as it was eclipsed by tiomothy's simple jar cap idea. KISS won the day! :p

Last edited:
In a heavy rain l could see it as a problem but in a light rain (lMO) there would be no affect. Really in the short time l've had mine l am more worried about water collecting around the midsection and getting into the lower bowl. I guess l haven't spent a lot of time on the vent though.

How about one of those popup shade covers. Would protect against rain and also sun when you are sitting near the cooker. Just a thought. In the spring when Costco has those popup shade covers, I will get one of those for general use.

I did look at the BBQGURU idea a month ago and contacted them to see how loose or tight it is and they said it would not fit in my WSM22 since I have the SS hinge and handles on the middle section.

Looks good, but overkill for me living in Georgia. :) I'm just looking to keep rain out of the top vent...

How about one of those popup shade covers. Would protect against rain and also sun when you are sitting near the cooker. Just a thought. In the spring when Costco has those popup shade covers, I will get one of those for general use.

That's what I use Bob. From Harry's thread post it sounds like he didn't want to go this route.

Here's my solution. When I use it the forecast is almost always wrong and not a drop of rain falls from the sky.

You could try this
jULqDbw5t4AzubRCQhDa3xVHZ-WGQV--p6BnfZEgg6msU_pg3HD6owjza4zA8MDUtJnxv187CJLGMGDhj8sfQohSxyzg-_7bncPUjln5hAVeQNQ_tjZauL_VnzOBnLYgBI1s_vnf4tK9syfKUEssS39C4q1yzyw50UiP7z-SSETS_95-OrKQ1agVY8FOfrzjMXDSt47gjRCUPBUPCYzZtQMr6MRxbwouD40jioBymi1F-Ko0dJUcpPKvb0m-mOM8yB7jLFrFKy_T88v92PQZNzrO-MXBZgz3ZsDLme6wKhQq3H83x5Kp7GWHXLfR1uNBZRPx_I1a4FzO8FwFeYA_d6c55SjF8ZRUTvqOhjDrFJ01hGWMFCa-MPK86-y2QaQaCt2tSFNe1rdh1ThwEWgLKdmDt0KMcDgt2ISKAt74fbUehrOQQtsDEtzG1Cil38TdWiHE7N34GHq1r9-VHiqnoV8wihss_7wo1ZtV_I88c-Uk4bFmbBdNHH9k7gHHwpmjIPL0Te8PhFhxh7AwgwNt9f0QWfgdC-nkjuMyaYTJrm4SpdMkySmzdIZruAZIYex8hDlLqs8WRNXougOd1uTg0cjBMHzwqvFRdZCdi1ITGapTerSc=w556-h988-no

Zl7ECznx8dvP8WenT3wP872fVuAAorUyxfAhBZfr-UBvriwbsdGEZsOrwkcBMVBzf52DgKlhsCz9PjaShI0hyl6mCv_5Jyv7b3Lj50XrRHF0Cmn7tbbR7OktKzJ76yzwpMrQNnFO-9thdSqrr5fUKomyU6QqIV7HQiwi_h_id2ZBSF6eEisXEwoBZnW3Fv_5bOH9uQzPc5ns2h3cnR9j2yTrewxoOV-sEOvYy3lUvyYP_xOpQZ-uQAAhr2R2YTZfNMYKV6rFqfEna7AzgaYIgz2WaYzJ0r1NmzKSMaR_jecRVf1xqlJ5MJVd_jvqObmB3Bl3Fvp8F7lA7xUH7NzzWVikGzNwBKd5Smewd3WwG6RCZnPAbDLU8ihzZYXQNILg0BH8fIpq8oPplJHGqHAk_tsIvqmeJeIxoDvicGKlZ1IRxObFtBPGAX9c6eH8nlJM_rzsIVFDOVEyhJWQjpgO5LNb0ewHIf9nH0-1B5-4qj6FCtu32HGp0C2CAN586K9G29cG56PgOaXKlHrql-zulEyKDlzYVCJgxs373GFZ5Z3gXuyocFHnezsjCP96Fb40PYCZZ2qm_maPOWJJfuRhFKh9oA87EMMhUBzn7fXZZjKjbsy8=w556-h988-no

Tim

Ten points Tim!!!!
We are all so quick to go overboard, that is a fine option!

Thank's Timothy!
I saw this post today and started to see what I had laying around. Tried a mason jar cap and that was too small. Looked in the fridge and grabbed the pickle jar lid and my wife looked at me with that WTH are you doing look as I walked out the door. LOL
For the record I keep my Weby's under an enclosed area but this might be useful on very windy days.

Tim

Perfect "recycling" easily replaceable when you finish the next jar of pickles! I seriously like the simplicity. Well done. Will visit the question with my brother (my "smoker" guy) tomorrow. He has changed up his "station" from inside his garage to outside, more environmental variables.
Reason for the change in venue is boatbuilding project which needs the garage space, nice boat, with luck it will be done by next season!

Back