Memphis rub St Lous ribs and sides

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Been in the mood for some Memphis ribs. Read a bunch of recipes and settled on this:

Whipped up the rub. It tastes pretty good. A nice balance between savory and sweet with a small amount of heat.

Trimmed up 3 racks. Tossed the trimmings into some homemade beans.

I omitted salt from the recipe and salted each rack to my liking.

Put the rub on and let it sit for an hour as I readied the WSK.

Cooking with plum wood. First time using it.

1716150035184.jpeg

1716150048707.jpeg

Lit some B&B briqs atop the plum wood.

1716150082399.jpeg

Got the ribs up and going. Target is 240-275°F

1716150124467.jpeg

Started the macaroni salad yesterday. Mixed in celery, red bell pepper and mayo today.

1716150171709.jpeg

1716150188951.jpeg

1716150203977.png

1716150388030.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good, that is my plan for next weekend, smoke day. I am going to go with a vinegar base mop, old school, no wrap, SPG only.

great! like the bean dog tie me over prior to the main course!!
That’s a spicy onion dog topping. Old school NY recipe from my grandparents.

Yellow onion diced, lightly sautéed in neutral oil with SPG and a dash of cayenne and a good heaping of paprika. Add in some ketchup, yellow mustard and a few dashes of Tabasco to your desired heat level.

Heat through and serve. Goes great on Nathan’s dogs or any burger too.

This was my kickoff to summer grilling. Quite a filling meal.

Nice Ribs, Dogs and sides. The spicy onion dog topping sounds great but how was how was the plum wood?
the plum wood was real nice. very light and slightly sweet. lighter than oak, by far. more along the lines of apple and cherry but less sweet than cherry. and the color imparted was gentle, not a very darkening smoke. i'd definitively do it again for pork or chicken. i don't think it'd add much for beef. but to me oak is the standard for beef.

the onions are a real version of these:

my recipe above will yield a great result. i've been making these onions for 30+ years now; respecting my grandmother whom i watched her make 'em but she didn't know i was mapping that recipe in my brain as a kid....

Looks great! How long did it take at 245? Did you flip, or bones down the whole time?
Four hours total cook. The ribs never moved. The key to keeping the ribs moist is the mop. Mop often and mop when you pull them to rest them. I also served some mop with dinner for added moisture.

If you run out of mop, just whip up 1:1 dwv to water and add two teaspoons of sugar. Warm in the microwave for 1.5 minutes to dissolve the sugar into the water and then add the dwv.

Back