membrane or no membrane on ribs?

Saw on cooks illustrated they recommend leaving on membrane to keep in rendering fat. I've seen that before on food network but 99% of info out there says remove it. My question is has anyone tried it both ways at the same time and compared the two? Does the membrane remove easily after the cook or not? I always remove it but am curious.

No membrane for me.Some people say you can remove it after the cook but it's hard enough to get it off before the cook.I also do not believe it holds moister in as some people may say.

if you like to use rub on your ribs, both sides... I say remove it.
if you do not give a hoot one way or the other... I say leave it on.

when you eet ribs in this household, it will not be present(period)

I hate taking the membrane off so I have tried it both ways. To me the quality of the ribs were not affected either way other than that slight crisp that reminds you its still there. But the membrane on, to me seems "Unprofessional"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To me the quality of the ribs were not affected either way </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
sorry, i do disagree
icon_smile.gif

Take it off. Take it off. Take it all the way off. Then look at it. You want to eat that?

Membrane off for me. Had ribs at a bbq joint with the membrane, I bit into it and the entire membrane came off like a sheet of paper. Not an experience I would like to repeat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Take it off. Take it off. Take it all the way off. Then look at it. You want to eat that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
TOTALLY agree with you Dave. I don't like it. I want my spice rub to be all encompassing. I have never had a problem with dry ribs because I take the membrane off.

Take it off.

I subscribe to the theory that rub does not absorb through the membrane. Plus, I can't stand the texture. I do not want to eat that plastic-like substance, cooked or not. I think a good rule of thumb would be...
- if you are cooking at home, you don't mind the texture and believe it has some benefit (such as it retains moisture) leave it on.
- If cooking at a comp, take it off.

If I'm cooking ribs for just myself I don't take it off because it doesn't bother me. If I'm cooking ribs for company I take it off.

I also question the argument that you want the rub on both sides of the ribs. When you bite into a rib are you actually just biting the top part off and on the second bite taking the bottom part off? Most people I see eat ribs bite right through both layers so as long as you have rub somewhere on the rib your going to taste it.

I'm in the habit of taking it off now, didn't use to.
I did score it, and really don't notice a difference in taste with it removed.
Never even thought of it as being gross, we're dealing with eating dead animals here.
icon_biggrin.gif

Well for YOUR taste, you should make one rack with and make one without and make a decision based on your tastes.

I take it off because I like to think the rub can penetrate the meat from the underside as well as the top. More rub=more flavor in my book.

Back