Meatloaf

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Had to retire our Weber kettle that travels around with us in our RV, too beat up. We belong to a couple of RV camping groups and do potluck pretty much every time we get together so decided to replace the grill with the 14.5 WSM. Big enough to cook for a group and small enough to tote around.

Leah at 4 months old posing next to my spanking brand new 14.5 WSM

Used the tried and true Griffloaf recipe. The recipe is a little dated but still a good one. Place the meat in a loaf pan and in the fridge to firm up for a couple of hours before placing it on the WSM

The little guy doing his thing!

Done

and sliced

Very nice meatloaf John and I see you've mastered it already. So Leah is four months old, she sure has grown and what a pretty lady.

That is one of my bucket list to smoke, Meatloaf... as my dad always said, don't let your meatloaf... Excellent Cook...

Awesome looking meatloaf John, my question is did your friend get to try any!!!!! ;) PLEASE BOSS

Mouth watering meatloaf John! Going to have to find that recipe. Congrats on the new WSM. Your pup is a cutie for sure.

Here is the recipe to the meatloaf I copied and pasted to my computer about 5 years ago. Its a simple recipe, probably why I like it. About the only changes I make is that I use 2lbs beef and I always have Panko around but not Italian bread crumbs

Griffloaf

1/2 cup bread crumbs (I use Progresso Italian)
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onions, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 pounds ground beef
1 pound Jimmy Dean Hot sausage
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
5 or 6 dashes of Worchestershire
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Saute the diced onions in the oil until they turn golden (about 10 minutes). Soak the bread crumbs in the milk for a couple minutes. Mix everything together and form into loaf. I smoke the loaf on a piece of parchment paper cut as close to the size of the loaf as possible. With the WSM that allows all the grease to drain into the water pan and the smoke penetrates the bottom of the loaf making a smoke ring there as well. I smoke at 300-350* until the loaf hits 170-175*. Sometimes I put a red sauce (ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard to taste) on top for the last half hour or so.

The best part of meatloaf are the sandwiches made with the leftovers.

Back