Meatloaf Night!

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Gold Member
Man, I love meatloaf. Always have. Almost any recipe. Throughout my life, as is likely true with many others, I've cooked dozens of types and none has ever been the same. I love the versatility of this cook, maybe more than any other cook.

A few roasted peppers, some onion sautéed in bacon, and several other ingredients. Mostly improvised.

Peppers roasting. Bacon starting. 2 C chopped onions joined the bacon soon after.

20220615_171738.jpg

20220615_172806.jpg

When ready, I added beef broth and a bit of red wine. Also some tomato paste and a splash of Vidalia onion sauce. I use it on hotdogs, but this added a nice depth.
20220615_174832.jpg

When I got this consistency, I moved it off heat.

20220615_181019.jpg
Blended three meats with spices, some beef broth and 2 eggs in the stand mixer. Added the roasted peppers, onion-bacon mixture, and a pomade of white bread, milk, and panko. Loafed it and put in fridge for 2 hours. JD lump with 2 small cherry filets, one in each basket. Aluminum pan beneath loaf with 3/4C beef broth, 2 bay leaves, and some more red wine.

20220615_200940.jpg

Temped-off around 155°. Resting.
20220615_214042.jpg

Potato and asparagus
20220615_221033.jpg

Twice-baked the spud. During the last 20 minutes of cooking, I glazed the loaf with a coating of Blues Hog, bourbon, and 1 T ketchup. Finished loaf: definitely not the prettiest I've made.

20220616_215947.jpg

Cut two slices for browning.
20220616_223535.jpg
20220616_224145.jpg

Some gravy...
20220616_223951.jpg

Plated. This got divided between me and my wife.
20220616_225019.jpg

Pretty good stuff. Glad there's three pounds left!

Attachments

• 20220615_174832.jpg
    20220615_174832.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220615_181019.jpg
    20220615_181019.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220615_174838.jpg
    20220615_174838.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220615_171748.jpg
    20220615_171748.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 2
Reminds me of the amazing meatloaf dinners we had after a full day’s skiing at Killington back in the early 90’s. I sure do miss those days and body warming meals. You’ve taken meatloaf up 100 notches.

Bravo 👏 bravo 👏 bravo 👏. Very nicely done.

Reminds me of the amazing meatloaf dinners we had after a full day’s skiing at Killington back in the early 90’s. I sure do miss those days and body warming meals. You’ve taken meatloaf up 100 notches.

Bravo 👏 bravo 👏 bravo 👏. Very nicely done.
That rocks, Brett. Believe it or not, I was a snowmaker at Killington in '96! I do not miss that job, but we skied for free.

Man, I love meatloaf. Always have. Almost any recipe. Throughout my life, as is likely true with many others, I've cooked dozens of types and none has ever been the same. I love the versatility of this cook, maybe more than any other cook.

A few roasted peppers, some onion sautéed in bacon, and several other ingredients. Mostly improvised.

Peppers roasting. Bacon starting. 2 C chopped onions joined the bacon soon after.

View attachment 53125

View attachment 53127

When ready, I added beef broth and a bit of red wine. Also some tomato paste and a splash of Vidalia onion sauce. I use it on hotdogs, but this added a nice depth.
View attachment 53140

When I got this consistency, I moved it off heat.

View attachment 53139
Blended three meats with spices, some beef broth and 2 eggs in the stand mixer. Added the roasted peppers, onion-bacon mixture, and a pomade of white bread, milk, and panko. Loafed it and put in fridge for 2 hours. JD lump with 2 small cherry filets, one in each basket. Aluminum pan beneath loaf with 3/4C beef broth, 2 bay leaves, and some more red wine.

View attachment 53022

Temped-off around 155°. Resting.
View attachment 53029

Potato and asparagus
View attachment 53030

Twice-baked the spud. During the last 20 minutes of cooking, I glazed the loaf with a coating of Blues Hog, bourbon, and 1 T ketchup. Finished loaf: definitely not the prettiest I've made.

View attachment 53132

Cut two slices for browning.
View attachment 53141
View attachment 53142

Some gravy...
View attachment 53143

Plated. This got divided between me and my wife.
View attachment 53144

Pretty good stuff. Glad there's three pounds left!
Nice looking plate!

Comfort food at its finest.

Looks great! I'm a meatloaf junkie and Barb is a meatloaf master chef. A marriage made in heaven. She has about a gazillion meatloaf recipes. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Wow, Tim, that's an amazing looking meatloaf!! Ya know, it's weird, but I don't think I've ever made a meatloaf. My mom made them relatively often when I was a kid (as I recall, only beef, with onions/spices mixed in, and "studded" with chunks of cheddar cheese.....pretty sure the sauce was a ketchup based concoction.) Your meatloaf is a whole different animal!

Question.....I see red and green bell pepper....are the smaller ones Poblano? Looks like the shape.

I might have to experiment, though, to get my wife on board, I might have to call it a (large) meatball......a loaf of meat would be a turn off for her! 🤣🤣

R

Thanks, Rich! Given your talent, you would absolutely nail meatloaf.

Yes, two small poblanos. Added a nice smokiness. Tbh, I don't think I would use the stand mixer again. Texture was too dense. Live and learn.

Maybe you could shape the loaf into her favorite animal? 😍
Yeah, the stand mixer would take you into more of a sausage mix, which would be way too dense for a meatloaf. When I do meatballs, I hand mix VERY gently, as I like a pillowy meatball that can barely hold its shape when I'm browning it in a skillet. I would think that something between a sausage mix and my light meatball mix would work......you do need some structure in there.

Hmmm, a turtle shaped meatloaf?? 🤣

Thanks, Rich! Given your talent, you would absolutely nail meatloaf.

Yes, two small poblanos. Added a nice smokiness. Tbh, I don't think I would use the stand mixer again. Texture was too dense. Live and learn.

Maybe you could shape the loaf into her favorite animal? 😍
I LOVE meatloaf. But the first time I smoked a loaf was a new revelation. I've got recipes, but almost always start winging it. Thanks to your post it's bumped on the priority list.

As for the mixer, yes. I've seen over and over that, as with burgers, don't mix even by hand too much. Work it just enough to mix.

Now I just want to sit a bit and dream about this. Thanks!

Yeah, the stand mixer would take you into more of a sausage mix, which would be way too dense for a meatloaf. When I do meatballs, I hand mix VERY gently, as I like a pillowy meatball that can barely hold its shape when I'm browning it in a skillet. I would think that something between a sausage mix and my light meatball mix would work......you do need some structure in there.

Hmmm, a turtle shaped meatloaf?? 🤣
Yeah, the hand mix is definitely the way to go. Next time I do this, I will avoid the mixer.

1655490040668.png

Back