meat temp monitoring on rotisserie?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
Those of you that rotisserie regularly, how do you monitor temperatures in your foods? I see that Maverick makes a remote thermometer specifically for rotisseries, but it just screams unitasker to me, esp. since I have not one but two perfectly good remote probe thermometers already. I'm thinking I could probably just snake the probe through the collar that goes around the spit (I think there's plenty of room there for the cable, if I run it through before putting the collar on the spit) and then fasten the transmitter to the handle or counterweight somehow (read: duct tape or zip ties) so it would rotate along with the spit.

I'm thinking I could probably just snake the probe through the collar that goes around the spit (I think there's plenty of room there for the cable, if I run it through before putting the collar on the spit) and then fasten the transmitter to the handle or counterweight somehow (read: duct tape or zip ties) so it would rotate along with the spit.

Chad, that is exactly what you should do. I do it when I cook a roast-type item on the rotisserie and it works very well.

I use the caveman method! It's heat applied to meat, when it's ready, you eat.
For some reason we all have gotten on a horse with regard to immediate, irrefutable temperature knowledge. I'm not saying safety doesn't count but, if you can't "feel" and be confident with how, what and, when you are cooking something, start going to any "All you can eat buffet"
Think, it's cooking, remember the finest meal you will ever cook will end up in the same place as the failure!
I had a failure tonight, a whopping success last night, I know of what I speak!

For some reason we all have gotten on a horse with regard to immediate, irrefutable temperature knowledge. I'm not saying safety doesn't count but, if you can't "feel" and be confident with how, what and, when you are cooking something, start going to any "All you can eat buffet"
Think, it's cooking, remember the finest meal you will ever cook will end up in the same place as the failure!
I had a failure tonight, a whopping success last night, I know of what I speak!

Yeah, I get all that, and for some things, it's easy enough to stop the spinning and poke it to check. I'm thinking big stuff, like the Thanksgiving turkey, where finding the "right" spot to take it's temp can be tricky. Not to mention I'm usually doing a dozen other things at the same time, so being able to just glance at the receiver rather than run out to the patio would be immensely helpful. I wouldn't bother to rigging this up for every cook.

For some reason we all have gotten on a horse with regard to immediate, irrefutable temperature knowledge....

AMEN!!!!!!! Put the toys away and start playing with your fire and food instead!! Teach yourself to cook by feel and you'll never regret it.

boy, I wouldn't want to try to balance a 15-20 lb turkey on a rotisserie. Burn that motor out real quick. Just spatchcock it and it'll be done in an hour or so.

really? I have problems with a 5 lb chicken. Guess it's cuz of the basting I do internally before trying the balancing act ;) Just one thing I have problems with. I did like the result but I'm not comfortable with it. I hear that motor whining after 3/4 turn and i get nervous.

Take it off and rebalance. Back on. Whines. Back off and rebalance. On--whines. I try to avoid it if I can. Can never find that perfect "balance" point.

Last edited:
Any tips on how a spinning turkey, chicken, or roast should "feel"?? :rolleyes:

I'm glad you asked!

Poultry's easy - when the leg bone freely wiggles back and forth independent of the thigh meat, it's done.

As far as roast, you didn't specify what type, how large, or how well you'd like it done, but yes that can be cooked by feel too.

My oh my - however did the hundred generations of live fire cooks that came before us ever get by without Maverick dual probe remote thermos? It's amazing our whole species didn't just die out from starvation...

I'm glad you asked!
My oh my - however did the hundred generations of live fire cooks that came before us ever get by without Maverick dual probe remote thermos? It's amazing our whole species didn't just die out from starvation...
They also didn't have running water, electricity, inside toilets, motor vehicles, central air and heat, but I'll be damned if I'll go without those either.

This discussion is about meat on a rotisserie and my guess is the legs of poultry will be trussed and won't wiggle much no matter how done.
I have a dual probe Maverick, but usually only use it to remotely keep a check on smoker or grill temps.
Meat temps get taken with an instant read thermometer when it looks nearly done.
I do not feel like less of a man for using it, and I won't make fun of those who do or don't use them or any other gadget they deem a benefit.

I do not feel like less of a man for using it, and I won't make fun of those who do or don't use them or any other gadget they deem a benefit.

We seem to be headed down the wrong road here. I interpreted our exchange as us both having some fun with words and a little debate between differing culinary perspectives. You made a good-natured joke and I countered. There are no personal attacks here and I apologize if that's how it came off.

My only point is that anybody passionate about learning grilling/BBQ actually "needs" very little by way of equipment to do so, and in my humble opinion the more one relies on toys or gadgets the more it diminishes the experience. As far as what any given individual deems beneficial, that's completely up to them. My issue arises when people start advising others what they "should" or "must" have when they don't need it.

No problems here Darren.
I think we're pretty much on the same page about keeping things simple.
I've personally never felt the want or need for an ATC, iGrill, Vortex, etc.
But I also didn't see anyone on this thread pushing any gadget as a need, or must have.
Chad already has a rotisserie and a probe therm and was looking for a way to monitor temps on a spinning piece of meat.
I can relate to that, but don't mind stopping the spin to check for doneness.

A few years back someone asked "What equipment do I need to get started?"
My reply was charcoal, and a set of tongs.
That's all I used for decades, but that's not to say I don't like sitting inside when it's cold or hot outside and glancing over to see what's going on out there.
Necessary? No.
Nice to have? Yes, in my opinion.
Do I push it, or anything else, as a need or must have?
No.

Last edited:
I'm with you Bob, less is considerably more comes to grilling projects.
The more layers of "stuff" the more chance of something going wrong. Actually the more old school I go, the better the product seems to turn out. Do we really NEED much of the gadgets and gizmos offered? NO! Are they fun? Absolutely!!!
Do I need a Vortex? No. Will it be fun, maybe. But until someone gets me one as a gift, I can do just fine with no more than what I have.
Oh, and what Clff said!

My problem is I like projects and trying new things. Everything I have I use, but do I need nine grills and smokers, no, but they all get used, no lawn ornaments. But except for the one new performer I stole off of Craig's list they all are rebuild projects that I paid next to nothing for. I enjoyed building the four grill and smoker carts I made also.
As for gadgets the only thing I really have is the vortex which I really like, and I have a maverick and two thermopops which I do use a lot.
Our cooking style is basically simple fare. Barb and I love trying new recipes and do a lot of that. We have everything we need to enjoy our hobby.
As Bob said what basic things do you need to get started, a grill, tongs and charcoal.
So everybody does it their own way and if your happy with what you do you're right.
Also agree with Cliff.

Last edited:

Back