Me and my bright ideas....pulled pork for a crowd question(s)

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello there!

I'm hoping you can guide me. I'm planning a get together next week and the dish I'm preparing will be pulled pork sandwiches. (Dustin's post was the inspiration) Well of course word got out and now the head count is up to 50 (i know smh right? Lol) thankfully I have a 22" wsm apparently for this reason so I hope I can pull this off. Plus I need to see what this puppy can do!

My plan is to get 4-5 pork shoulders my guess would be that they weigh 7 lbs each, and prep them the Chris Lilly way. should this be an overnight cook? Or should I start it at around 3:00am. I do plan on wrapping them at like 170ish. Also they would rest in a cooler for at lease an hour. I'm having a hard time trying to decide bc the last pulled pork recipe took like close to 16 hours on a 14" wsm.

I'd like to serve them no later than 6 pm (they would be going in warming trays after being pulled)

If any of you have any experience with cooking more than 2 shoulders at once I would love to hear your process.

Wish me luck! Lol

I have only done 2 butts but at the same time I did a full packer brisket all on a WSM22. I started at 10PM the night before. The meat went on about 11PM and all were done about 12 or 13 hours later. All the meat was in the cooler for about 3 hours and when I took it out to cut and pull, I could barely hold them. The point is to start early so you have time and will be able to enjoy your guests. Another option would be to cook everything a day early so you are not stressed the day of the party. PP reheats very well and you will be able to enjoy yourself and your guests. Something that Harry Soo told us in class was that "BBQ is done when it is done". In other words, give your self as much of a head start as you can. That way is you do run into problems, no one else will know and you will look like a hero no matter what. Enjoy yourself and enjoy the compliments you will definetly get. Good planning is your best friend.

Hello there!

I'm hoping you can guide me. I'm planning a get together next week and the dish I'm preparing will be pulled pork sandwiches. (Dustin's post was the inspiration) Well of course word got out and now the head count is up to 50 (i know smh right? Lol) thankfully I have a 22" wsm apparently for this reason so I hope I can pull this off. Plus I need to see what this puppy can do!

My plan is to get 4-5 pork shoulders my guess would be that they weigh 7 lbs each, and prep them the Chris Lilly way. should this be an overnight cook? Or should I start it at around 3:00am. I do plan on wrapping them at like 170ish. Also they would rest in a cooler for at lease an hour. I'm having a hard time trying to decide bc the last pulled pork recipe took like close to 16 hours on a 14" wsm.

I'd like to serve them no later than 6 pm (they would be going in warming trays after being pulled)

If any of you have any experience with cooking more than 2 shoulders at once I would love to hear your process.

Wish me luck! Lol

I'd even start it earlier. Not much risk of overcooking, and if you're way ahead of schedule you could let the cooker temp settle around 190-200F when it hits one of the stalls. That's a lot of people to be waiting on food :)

Size-wise, you could fit that many (3 per grate) on an 18", cook-wise, my DIY 14" cooks very differently than my 18"er (the 18" is much more forgiving).

If you're getting them at Costco they have case prices where it drops the price per pound by 30-60 cents per pound... the cases weigh somewhere around 44 pounds in my limited experience. I say cook 3-4 butts per shelf! (i think you should cook more & have leftovers to give or freeze)

I'd also recommend going heavier on the smoke wood, and running a dry water pan, if you cook a large amount.

Last edited:
I haven't done more than 2 at a time in an 18.5, but I can give you some insight into the rest period. Pork butts will rest in a cooler for 5 or more hours and still be quite hot when you pull them. Like most barbecue, it's best when eaten within minutes of pulling/slicing. When I have a number of folks over for pulled pork, I give them a little show by pulling it, then piling it directly on their bun. It's very juicy and appetizing and they can add sauce, pickles and slaw to their taste. It's an authentic and memorable experience for them. Doing it for 50 may require you to draft a couple of additional "pullers", but it sounds like it could be a fun event.

Jeff

If you are cooking at home, you could just put smoke on all the butts on your WSM for 4-5 hours, set the bark, pull them all off, wrap and put them all in the oven to lessen the stress of fuel and temps and rotating between grates.

Last edited:
One more question, what would be the best way to reload charcoal? take it apart? Or just feed it sparingly through the door? (nomex will be considered after this cook)

I haven't done more than 2 at a time in an 18.5, but I can give you some insight into the rest period. Pork butts will rest in a cooler for 5 or more hours and still be quite hot when you pull them. Like most barbecue, it's best when eaten within minutes of pulling/slicing. When I have a number of folks over for pulled pork, I give them a little show by pulling it, then piling it directly on their bun. It's very juicy and appetizing and they can add sauce, pickles and slaw to their taste. It's an authentic and memorable experience for them. Doing it for 50 may require you to draft a couple of additional "pullers", but it sounds like it could be a fun event

Jeff

Goodness I hope so. This sounds like an awesome idea!

I have only done 2 butts but at the same time I did a full packer brisket all on a WSM22. I started at 10PM the night before. The meat went on about 11PM and all were done about 12 or 13 hours later. All the meat was in the cooler for about 3 hours and when I took it out to cut and pull, I could barely hold them. The point is to start early so you have time and will be able to enjoy your guests. Another option would be to cook everything a day early so you are not stressed the day of the party. PP reheats very well and you will be able to enjoy yourself and your guests. Something that Harry Soo told us in class was that "BBQ is done when it is done". In other words, give your self as much of a head start as you can. That way is you do run into problems, no one else will know and you will look like a hero no matter what. Enjoy yourself and enjoy the compliments you will definetly get. Good planning is your best friend.

I wish I could but I have to work on Friday. The party is Saturday. Worst case we order pizza lol

I'd even start it earlier. Not much risk of overcooking, and if you're way ahead of schedule you could let the cooker temp settle around 190-200F when it hits one of the stalls. That's a lot of people to be waiting on food :)

Size-wise, you could fit that many (3 per grate) on an 18", cook-wise, my DIY 14" cooks very differently than my 18"er (the 18" is much more forgiving).

If you're getting them at Costco they have case prices where it drops the price per pound by 30-60 cents per pound... the cases weigh somewhere around 44 pounds in my limited experience. I say cook 3-4 butts per shelf! (i think you should cook more & have leftovers to give or freeze)

I'd also recommend going heavier on the smoke wood, and running a dry water pan, if you cook a large amount.

I went to Costco the other night just to see and I think I'll have to speak to someone at the meat department to get it from the back. (We have all 3 wholesale clubs within a 10 mile radius)

I went to Costco the other night just to see and I think I'll have to speak to someone at the meat department to get it from the back. (We have all 3 wholesale clubs within a 10 mile radius)

That's what I had to do. I'm sure they could talk to you over the phone.

I had to reload for an overnight cook last weekend and I just went through the door. I used a scoop something like an ice scoop and it worked fine. Assuming you catch it before there is no more lit coals, just dump them in on top of the lit. Also, when you do this, very gently agitate the existing coals before you put the new charcoal in. By the time you do this, you will have probably wrapped the butts in foil so you will not have to worry is coal dust is created. Good Luck.

One more thing, many sides can be prepared days ahead and refrigerated. That could also save you some grief the day of the party.
Another thought, invite your boss and maybe get Friday off. Just a thought. I'm lucky in that regard, i'm self employed and don't have a lot of work now.

One more question, what would be the best way to reload charcoal? take it apart? Or just feed it sparingly through the door? (nomex will be considered after this cook)

My plan is to get 4-5 pork shoulders my guess would be that they weigh 7 lbs each,
I think you might be a bit light on finished product for 50 people. If you're buying at Costco I assume you're getting boneless so yield is likely to be about 60-65%. That would be just shy of 23 pounds. That should be enough for 50 people, but if more show up or they really love it or your yield is on the low side, you could come up short. Plus, if you're going to go to all the trouble of a long cook like that, certainly you want some leftovers.

I think you might be a bit light on finished product for 50 people. If you're buying at Costco I assume you're getting boneless so yield is likely to be about 60-65%. That would be just shy of 23 pounds. That should be enough for 50 people, but if more show up or they really love it or your yield is on the low side, you could come up short. Plus, if you're going to go to all the trouble of a long cook like that, certainly you want some leftovers.
I think you are right. I'm going to do 6 for good measure. I hope to get it at a decent price.

Hey Jo, a few thoughts.
My experience with crowds is limited to a couple of cooks for a Sr. Citizen center. That said, here goes my experience. An 18" WSM can easily handle 50 people so no worries with a 22". My regular cooks with 2 butts run 12-13 hours at 250 & no water. I put butts in straight from the fridge. When cooking more butts-say 4 or 5, you are introducing a big 'cold sink'
because of the temp of all that meat. That would suggest at least adding an hour to your cook time.
Next in regard to resting, my experience has taught me to rest butts 2 hours or more. They can only IMPROVE as they rest. Do pre-heat your coolers with the hottest tap water you can muster. For a crowd I would plan at least a 3 hour rest.
There is a trend here...reduce your stress. Plan for a longer cook and plan a longer rest ( I have done 4-5 hour rests with no problems ).

Serving. I have waited to pull until 30-45 min before serving. My only focus is pulling pork. No sides, no interruptions. I can keep up with the crowd.
The other plan is to pre-pull and keep warm. I have not used that process. I'm sure many here have and can comment.

Have plenty of No.5 Sauce and some Lexington for the vinegar fans. Hope this gives you some direction.

remember, after 4-5-6 hr, you could always just pop 'em your oven at 225 to finish up the cook. No more smoke is needed at that point so the oven is a great stress reliever and no fuel refill required.

Hey Jo, a few thoughts.
My experience with crowds is limited to a couple of cooks for a Sr. Citizen center. That said, here goes my experience. An 18" WSM can easily handle 50 people so no worries with a 22". My regular cooks with 2 butts run 12-13 hours at 250 & no water. I put butts in straight from the fridge. When cooking more butts-say 4 or 5, you are introducing a big 'cold sink'
because of the temp of all that meat. That would suggest at least adding an hour to your cook time.
Next in regard to resting, my experience has taught me to rest butts 2 hours or more. They can only IMPROVE as they rest. Do pre-heat your coolers with the hottest tap water you can muster. For a crowd I would plan at least a 3 hour rest.
There is a trend here...reduce your stress. Plan for a longer cook and plan a longer rest ( I have done 4-5 hour rests with no problems ).

Serving. I have waited to pull until 30-45 min before serving. My only focus is pulling pork. No sides, no interruptions. I can keep up with the crowd.
The other plan is to pre-pull and keep warm. I have not used that process. I'm sure many here have and can comment.

Have plenty of No.5 Sauce and some Lexington for the vinegar fans. Hope this gives you some direction.

I think I should play it safe by lighting the fire at 11:00pm wait until it comes to temp and put the meat on at about midnight (I don't want to start at 3:00am bc I may have the fire department at my door) and let it run all night and wrap at 165-170ish until 200* then wrap and leave in the cooler for a couple of hours.

There will be other food but I always have the fear that it's never enough.

Lexington dip will be made along with bottled sauce too. I wanted to make Carolina mustard but at this point it maybe too much for the first time.

Everyone here is so helpful. Thank you, I'm so greatful! I hope I remember to get someone to take pics to share.

This all goes down Friday night!

Best check your local Costco. Mine only carry boneless butts. If you plan to rub it first to get the rub into the interior of the cuts (I do) you might want to tie the roasts, which can get a bit floppy during the process, with ends wanting to poke out. Get a BIG ball of 100% cotton thick kitchen string. I've read that others don't bother tying them and simply press them together on the grates, but they will probably take up more room. If you choose not to tie the boneless roasts, I'd expect for them to cook a little quicker.

Someone once suggested using the stretchy netting for meats but there is so much shrinkage in the butts that I doubt it would ultimately be useful.

<snip>I wanted to make Carolina mustard but at this point it maybe too much for the first time.

Everyone here is so helpful. Thank you, I'm so greatful! I hope I remember to get someone to take pics to share.

This all goes down Friday night!

This one's super easy if your hands aren't too full. I always spice it up a bit but people seem to like it.

We're wishing you luck!

Miss Piggy Mustard Sauce
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39043-Miss-Piggy-Mustard-Sauce

If you do it with the minion method you probably won't have to reload. But if I have to I just reload with unlit through the door using my wife's gardening shovel.

As for timing unless you are a real early riser, I'd start the night before and let it rest in a cooler. It will stay hot for at least 4 hours.

Back