Marathon smoke for wife's bday

S Riddell

TVWBB Super Fan
As I said in my last post, its been a while, but it felt so good to get back to cooking with the WSM!:wsm:

It was my wife's birthday last week so we had some family coming in for dinner on Saturday. And we were also out of turkey for lunch meat, so that sounded like a good way to start a long day of cooking! (Warning pic heavy post!)

It was a cold one up here on Saturday...and I also got to try out one of my new toys that I bought this winter!
P3160629_zps5bfda55c.jpg

The first set of players
P3160625_zps1762e00a.jpg

One turkey breast was rubbed with Plowboys Yardbird rub, the other was injected with Stubbs Chipotle butter marinade and rubbed with my own rub

All rubbed up, the one on the bottom is the injected one
P3160627_zps9207c186.jpg

On the WSM with a couple chunks of hickory and a couple of apple. This was also my first smoke using lump and an empty water pan. Thought I'd experiment a little!
P3160628_zps210b7918.jpg

While the breasts were going I got some ABTs ready for later
P3160630_zps5d3083da.jpg

I had too many jalapenos for the bacon I had, so I wrapped a few up in prosciutto and dusted with some Butt Rub. I figured since I was experimenting with these and wasn't sure of the results that these needed to go on early and be a snack for the cook:cool:
APTs on with the breasts
P3160631_zpsb0c655b2.jpg

And some ribs
P3160632_zpsc34ec4fa.jpg

Had to make some room for the ribs...there's 2 half racks peeking through from the bottom
P3160633_zps5b545a5e.jpg

All coming along nicely
P3160634_zpsc58a7aee.jpg

APTs off and ready for the experimental taste! These were really good ...I'm going to start to do these more often. The prosciutto got nice and crispy
P3160636_zps491b1c32.jpg

Turkey and ribs....breasts ready to come off
P3160637_zps8401faa8.jpg

Breasts resting
P3160638_zpsf71fa55f.jpg

And sliced for a taste
P3160640_zps7ef07aff.jpg

Chicken wings on using another one of my new toys...the Weber large fish basket. I forgot to take a prep shot but the wings only got dusted in S&P
P3160643_zps78badc38.jpg

Ribs sauced up with a homemade bbq sauce
P3160645_zpse42f518f.jpg

Ribs done. I think these are the best ribs I have done so far. I basted every once in a while with apple juice and sauced them up about an hour before pulling them
P3160646_zps85f2635d.jpg

Wings ready to be pulled. I had too many and shouldn't have done them this way as I piled the extras on top of the basket. They cooked ok but the skin was chewy. I should have finished them on the grill after saucing. They were still a hit, but I wasn't happy with them. They were sauced in my tequila lime bbq sauce.
P3160647_zps39db8137.jpg

And finally plated. Ribs, wings, some fries made in my Actifry and a homemade mac and cheese which was delicious.
P3160648_zps602032b6.jpg

Sorry about the long post, but its been a long winter and I took lots of pics!

And there goes my diet!:wsm:

It all looks fantastic! I don't worry about crisp skin with smoked wings. Your fish basket looks real handy for the "piled wings method". Good job!

Lemme tellya something Scott, NEXT year, when she celebrates ANOTHER birthday, I'll bring gift-wrapped presents for her IF i can sit down to JUST taste a bit of that wonderful barbeque~you~do!

and, how do you like your Weber fish basket? Pros/Cons....?

P3160647_zps39db8137.jpg

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!

Jim - the basket has been good so far. Chicken wings are actually the main reason I got it. That way I won't need to turn each one individually. The only con so far is that some of the skin got caught in the wires, but I think that may be because I had wings in the basket and also on top

It all looks fantastic! I don't worry about crisp skin with smoked wings. Your fish basket looks real handy for the "piled wings method". Good job!

Yea your method with the basket looks like a great idea. How many wings are you able to get inside?

Back