Man Cave

many times Bob... many times.
our winters may not be as extreme as Buffalo's winters... but we freeze our asses damn often.

Hi...not sure if this design is what you are looking for...it certainly is great for BBQ in the Snow
LoUPNY

I need to build my outdoor kitchen. The design is very loose in my mind. The recent addition of the silver B has made a bit of a change in position as well as design. I really think I want to make it sheltered but also if I should move, I want to be able to take it with me (if I like it well enough) but, then again, improvements come with every passing brainstorm, aren't they?

I am thinking about building a shelter of some kind on a rear deck I have in my back yard. I need something to protect from the sun & rain in summer and the rain snow and bitter wind in winter.
Way back in the day, I bought a Gazebo from Costco. I paid < $1500 and I sort of remember that shipping was $300 of the $1500. It took me all Memorial Day Weekend (1999) to put it up, but it's been great. Only now is it starting to need to be re-shingled.

788AC0D3-946D-44EB-9CC1-A22313FB0C56_zpsxjnau7px.jpg

Costco no longer sells one like mine, but they do sell this one that's close

https://www.costco.com/YardLine-Gazebos.product.100140618.html

You can get screen kits for Gazebo, which I think would be ideal

I installed the gasket on the door. It was pretty easy to do. It did stop the leaks. Still have to do the top lid but it's been to cold out.

If you would PM me your e-mail I can send you some pictures of my BBQ shack. It sorta fits the description of what you are looking for.

Dan

its heavy 30 MIL clear vinyl tarp...
stands up very well in the open country strong winter winds... practical (in cost), but the tarps do take a beating...
Jim what do you thing of these for the winter? Pretty reasonable and they make them to your specs. I thought in the winter they could be secured to the corner posts with bungee cords and in summer thread a alum rod thru the eyelets top and botton so they could be slide to one side for light or closed when it's raining. I think I wouls build a 3' high solid rail maybe covered with knotty pine and have the tarp from there up or on all 4 sdes with an opening for a storm door to cut down on the cost of the tarps. https://www.tarpsnow.com/custom-tarps-made.html

Bob, mine just happen to be stock sizes... 8 x 10 and 8 x 12.... think i paid 130 for the 10 footer and 160 for each of the two 12 footers...
i did fasten them down by lug bolts directly into the wood

and in the strong winter winds, i believe bungee cords would not stand a chance... but it was not a chance i took.

I thought you were looking for something more durable that's why I suggested canvas. On my present temp setup I tied the tarps off with clothesline tied to a threaded eye like used on a hook and eye latch. Hold very well when wind is strong. We have wind virtually every day here. A calm day is a rarity.

Bob, I was looking for more durable CLEAR walls, i want light inside... the clear vinyl tarps i'm sure are as durable as the canvas tarps...
the part that gives out (rips, tears, call it what you like), is the sewn edges and the grommeted holes.
Year after year after year in the strong cold winter winds, it's bound to give.

4' x 8' Lexan or polycarbonate panels would be great, but the cost is the MAJOR factor, also, storing the panels in the warmer months.

i have only two sides on my pavilion this winter and it's serving the purpose...
i'm out of the wind and not too much snow enters from the east and north open sides...

anyway, good luck with your project.

I change my mind about how I want to do my next pavilion project more often than I change socks! I see something and get a hare brained idea, then have a dream which does something in a different direction!

Back