Making the switch from electric to WSM.

Ryan A

My first smoker and the only one I’m currently using is a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I had cooked a few good meats with it along with some not very desirable ones from user error. I’ve always been interested in smoking with wood/charcoal and managing the fire to cook some awesome bbq. I’ve done my research and I believe I would be pleased with the WSM 18.5/22.5.

I’m leaning to the 18.5 just because I don’t plan to cook for a lot of people. Just my wife and I and the occasional family/friend get togethers. Eventually I want to get into long overnight cooks and I’m just curious if the 18.5 is up to the challenge of maintaining 225 for at least 12 hours without adding more coals. Or would the 22.5 be more capable of longer cooks? I’ve also discovered some aftermarket stainless steel mesh coal basket that not only improves airflow but charcoal capacity from 13lbs to 19.5lbs for the 18.5 WSM. I suppose that could be a possibility for extended cooking times.

I've owned an 18" WSM since 2002 ............ never had a 12 hour cook. And cooking at 225 is yesterday's news. Pork butt is only thing I know of that would take 12 hours, and if you crank it up to 275 to 300 and then wrap in foil at 165 , then bring it inside and put it in the oven ........ you just as well off.

As far as the 22 being better than the 18 for longer cooks, I see no diff.

If you're not cooking in volume, then go with the 18.

I also have no need for anything after market with my WSM. I put gaskets on my 22 and frankly, I thought it cut down the air flow too much. After market stuff is just fun stuff to play around with, not really necessary for good barbecue.

I’m with Lynn on the 18.5. I’ve had all 3 sizes. It’s just me and my wife and occasionally a family get together. Yes, the 18.5 is up to the 12 hour challenge. 22 hours requires a big refill. Been there, done that. One way to extend cook time is to not use water.

Agree with Lynn and Lew I have an 18.5 and it's plenty big enough to do almost anything we do. I've done a couple of 12 hour cooks without any issues. I agree with Lynn I now cook at a higher temp than 225 around 275 gets the job done in a lot less time and I really can't tell any difference in the quality as compared to 225.

The 22.5 is a fuel hog. The advantage is that you can lay racks of ribs flat and easily fit a packer without having to use any tricks. The length of cook time is probably similar.

With a $10 piece of expanded metal from home depot, you can make your coal ring 50%+ taller.

I never add coals during cook.....ever. My 18 has gone 21 hrs, and had coals left. I use a temp controller. I figure 24hrs is about it.
The 21 hr was a brisket i did at 225, usually do 265 and have had time as short as 9.5 hrs.

The big drawback to the 18 is the top grate area. You can't lay several racks of ribs flat and it doesn't hold much chicken quarters laid flat either. even for three people I will cook about 9 chicken quarters because they really don't have that much meat left on them and we want some leftovers too. Can get about 5 or 6 max on the top grate, depends on the size, remembering that you have to leave some room around your temperature probe. And I toss some boudin in there as well the last 30 minutes.

I don't consider brisket up to 18 lb or a pork butt an issue on the 18. I have a Weber rib rack that's curved across the top and I lay the brisket over that for the first couple hours till it shrinks a little. Some will just use a block of wood wood that blocks heat from a spot on the bottom of the meat.

Last edited:
I like the 22.5 because l'm usually cooking for 10 - 14 people on a regular basis with left overs to spare. It does consume more fuel but l make up for that by being able to smoke alot of meat. If l had to cook for a smaller crew then it would be the 18 for me. Either one is a great choice.

I haven't experimented with super long cooks, just never did anything that took that long but the WSM does hold its temperature pretty well until the fuel starts getting low. That may take different amounts of time for different people depending on a variety of different factors. I have a 18" and have had it for about 4 or 5 years with no complaints.

A lot of good info here! The 22” was a pain to maintain until I got a gasket kit, in hind sight I would go 18.
Also as Lynn said, smoke while it can take i, but put that **** in the oven to finish. Once you wrap you are wasting fuel.

Back