Lump vs briquette, and fav brands, for smoking on a 22" Weber Kettle

It's $24 for 40 lb. bags at DIB, not sure where the 20 lb. bags are sold.
Hell, I struggle with 20 lb. bags with my age and a few health problems.

https://www.doitbest.com/products/838136

Bob, you've heard about climate change, well there is something else that's happening those 20lb. bags of charcoal are really much heavier than they were a few years ago. It's because of gravity change, gravity I believe is getting stronger. I first discovered that when I was weighing myself and saw that I was getting heavier. I also noticed that things I picked up felt heavier too.
So it may not be age and health conditions after all. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.:rolleyes:

I have several bags of Embers. I use it for hamburgers and hot dogs. It does put out some wonky smells until it's well ashed over. Maybe they coat it with something to ensure that it lights off quickly.

But if I'm spending time and money for a brisket, butt, ribs, steak or lamb, I use the Jealous Devil lump or the Weber briquettes.

Bob, you've heard about climate change, well there is something else that's happening those 20lb. bags of charcoal are really much heavier than they were a few years ago. It's because of gravity change, gravity I believe is getting stronger. I first discovered that when I was weighing myself and saw that I was getting heavier. I also noticed that things I picked up felt heavier too.
So it may not be age and health conditions after all. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.:rolleyes:
I do believe you've nailed it Rich. The only thing that feels lighter is my wallet.

I have several bags of Embers. I use it for hamburgers and hot dogs. It does put out some wonky smells until it's well ashed over. Maybe they coat it with something to ensure that it lights off quickly.

But if I'm spending time and money for a brisket, butt, ribs, steak or lamb, I use the Jealous Devil lump or the Weber briquettes.
I found Embers slow to light, so I tried it minion method on my WSM thinking it would give a long burn time, it did, but put a creosote taste on the meat.
As I've said before, the RO All Natural is fine, even heard it's the same as Chef's Select in a smaller briquette.

The rumor was that Weber was rebranded Royal Oak Chef's Select. I dunno if it's true, but it would be interesting to do a comparison. I can't get my hands on the Chef's Select that easily. I really enjoy the Weber.

RO has so many different names/packaging by state that it gets a little confusing.
I've been a steady RO user since 06 with zero problems. Reading some of the negative comments makes me think they change formulas state by state.

Tim

The rumor was that Weber was rebranded Royal Oak Chef's Select. I dunno if it's true, but it would be interesting to do a comparison. I can't get my hands on the Chef's Select that easily. I really enjoy the Weber.
One problem comparing is Weber doesn't have ridges, RO CS does, but didn't use to.
It would be nice if RO gave out what all goes into the different types they have.
I like Weber too, except for a snake/fuse setup.

the red bag RO briquettes that go on sale super cheap are junk IMO. RO red bag lump is pretty good. if i had my choice, weber briquettes are the absolute best for low and slow.

My two main issues with the Embers(RO) briquettes:

1. weird smell, even after ashing over. The 'weird smell' transfers over to the food. This was confirmed by wife and son who mentioned it without knowing what briquettes I was using.

2. Take longer to get lit (ya baby :cool:), and have a hard time staying lit. I tried longer cooks with the Embers briquettes, and each time I had to re-light the existing briquettes with fresh lit ones. Tried snake method x2, charcoal baskets x2. Each time, lot's more effort to keep them going (vs. KBB).

Bonus issue: The Embers briquettes produce A LOT of ash. I estimate about 1/3 more the KBB.

Kingsford Pro for me all day every day. It used to be called kingsford competition and was touted for more wood char and less binder. The product absolutely produces a different taste from blue bag. For me it's way better and the ash is far less. Regarding burn time, well, its gonna burn hotter and quicker but I think its negligible. Weather and wind is really a bigger culprit in my eyes. Now... suggesting that Kingsford's corporate ownership by clorox is in some way malevolent, well, I just can't go there with you. If that's what you believe, it's doubtful anyone will change your mind.

BTW... Never chuck charcoal you don't like. I use my mistakes plus whatever cheap stuff I can find for doing burnouts. I'll light a raging fire in a kettle and throw in 5 or 6 grates to burn off the gunk. Then everything brushes down easily. I also light up the smokers if they haven't been used in a while. That way I know I'm starting out bacteria free.

Back