Low'n Slow & VOCs

ZoranM

I've done a lot of grilling on my Performer for about 12 years. Haven't done much low'n slow cooking. The one or two butts I've tried have been in a rush and the family found it too smokey tasting.

Someday I'd like try smoking a brisket. I also have a ceramic cooker that I haven't used much yet.

One thing I've noticed with grilling on the Performer, if I put the meat on the grill when the lump isn't all greyed over or there's some white smoke I end up with a strong tasting cook that my family doesn't like.

I hear people talk of VOC's, nasty stuff that causes off tasting food. This is why we wait for the lump to turn grey and the white smoke to stop or turn blue when grilling with charcoal.

So I'm wondering ... on the low'n slow cook where you don't light all of your lump, as the unlit lump is lighting up some hours into the long cook, is there VOCs being emitted producing a stronger smokey tasting meat?

I have cooked low and slow on the performer for a couple years prior to getting a wsm. Used the snake method with sprinkled wood chips on top. Never had any issues. But it takes time, lots of time.

Let's just start off by saying that everything is gonna kill you. There's not much in the way of VOCs inside your WSM unless you use green wood chunks. By the time it becomes charcoal or bagged chunks, the wood you're using has given up nearly all of its VOCs.

If you really char your steaks or burgers, that black stuff isn't that good for you, but there's not a lot of consensus on how many Pittsburgh steaks per week will do you in.

The bark that develops during low and slow cooking isn't nearly as bad for you.

Here's a short and sweet piece on the issue:

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitc...-good-for-you-or-bad-here-s-what-science-says

Breathing in wood smoke has separate dangers, but they pertain to inhaling rather than ingesting.

Thank you Mr. Hasselberger!
To quote "Doc Boone" in "Stagecoach"
"I have always been a fatalist! There may be the right bullet or, the wrong bottle at some time so, I court danger! Now, pour me another drink!"
Or something pretty darned close to that.
I figure there may be the wrong steak or bottle and my insurance is paid!

Back