Low Carb Eating

Ethan G

TVWBB Super Fan
Since we just finished a summer vacation, my wife has vowed to get back on a low carb diet. I'm not trying to lose any weight, but I've noticed that when I eat relatively low carb, I feel fantastic. However, I do some distance running so I need to constantly feed the monster. But if I cut out breads, pastas, junk snacksand doughnuts (my very favorite thing in the world....), and focus on getting most of my carbs from fruits/veggies/beans, I still run fairly well. Then I usually indulge in whatever sounds good on Saturdays after my long run for the week.

All of that said......do any of you fine people have low carb meals or recipes that you really enjoy? We are always looking for new ideas. We both love all forms of veggies, so salads, steamed or grilled vegetables, etc. are staples. We also use shredded cabbage quite a bit (make your favorite stir fry and eat it over sauteed shredded cabbage instead of rice).

Thanks!

Chicken Cordon "Bleu":

A Chicken breast (pounded flat) then place a slice of black forest ham on top then a slice of swiss on top of that then rolled into a cigar then pinned with some toothpicks to hold it all together. Add your usual "chicken spices" but I found that the built in flavours were sufficient when combined with the dry wine.

Slowly braise it in (dry) white wine till chicken is done. Serve with your fav veggies topped with the leftover wine sauce. My go-to when I successfully used a low carb diet to lose 30 lb.

i missed popcorn the most.

Last edited:
I'm happy to see you're not cutting out fruits, veggies, & beans :)

I'm not a believer in low carb, neither are any of the dietitians I follow.....

I feel best (& most satiated) on a high carb diet myself, but I surely don't have my diet figured out

Some times I switch to a Neapolitan pizza instead of a deep dish. I normally eat more slices of the thin stuff so I think it's a wash in the end.

I'm happy to see you're not cutting out fruits, veggies, & beans :)

I'm not a believer in low carb, neither are any of the dietitians I follow.....

I feel best (& most satiated) on a high carb diet myself, but I surely don't have my diet figured out

I've actually been using the my fitness pal app for about 3 years to track what I eat. I've found that a relatively high fat diet, with an emphasis on relatively healthy fats (nuts and nut butters, eggs, olive oil, avocados, etc.) is very satisfying. My daily goals are 30 grams of protein at breakfast, 30 grams of fiber, and typically less than 200 grams of carbs.

Low carb has worked very well for me in the past, but what I'm trying to do is just eat good carbs. Veggies ok, beans, ok. High starch things like potatoes bad. No white rice or pasta. No sugar. (I'll allow like 2 tablespoons of bbq sauce on occasion. I'm not a nazi.) I will eat some 100% whole wheat bread. Meat, Fat, even cheese I'm all in. I'll eat some fruit here or there. I get blood work done every year. We'll see what my numbers look like on my next appointment. My fasting blood sugar edged up to about 106 last time which is pre-diabetic. My A1C for some reason was normal. My doctor said I needed to do basically what I'm doing which so far is working. I'm down from about 255 to about 237 or so. So far not really exercising much yet. When I cook I tend to cook a protein and a veggie.

When grilling I like meat with some kind of side meat. Sausage is a good side meat. Sometimes it's a good main meat.

I tried low carb and started having issues. Went back to some carbs and within a day felt like my old self. My doc said low carbs are not for everyone. I do try and eat healthy otherwise.

I tried low carb and started having issues. Went back to some carbs and within a day felt like my old self. My doc said low carbs are not for everyone. I do try and eat healthy otherwise.

I tried a thing called the 6 week body makeover around 2005, that allowed for grains, veggies, and fruit, but it also put the body in a state of ketosis, which is what low carb does. The portions were tightly controlled & scheduled... I still remember the time I cooked fish above chicken in my smoker not long after I got it - (yuck!) and how drained I felt! I didn't get any long lasting results but I strayed from it.

I started reading the longevity diet and that started me in another direction.

We just try and eliminate processed foods and sugar. Its really not hard to find delicious meals. Read the ingrediants. The lesser is better. I think any extreme regimen will fail. Eat good natural foods and you will start to balance your caloric budget and have a lot more energy.

I am with Rober T. here.
I hardly ever buy processed foods. I make most myself and try to eat a varied diet.
Carbs are definitely included in it

I never buy processed foods, I eat low carb whole wheat breads, lots of fruits and veggies. Also you need to reduce your sugar intake drop sodas and sugar drinks us natural sugars instead.I have reduced the amount of red meat I eat and eat more . We substitute honey for sugar in most everything we cook.
I do eat rice more than potatoaes love stir frys and asian veggie wrap dinners of chicken and very lean beef and pork.
my weight stays stable and my energy is very good .
I am type 2 but have it under control for many years. My Dr. Says I am good for a guy 64. I just had a check up with blood work and all was good.

Back