Lost marrow recipe, help?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Someone posted a wonderful looking smoked marrow bone recipe a while back and I can’t find it. Seems like it was smoked and then served with toast points and bacon jelly, can anyone help me out with that?

Thanks, Cliff! That’s exactly the one I was thinking of. I just talked with my butcher and he said “Give me a day notice, I cut beef in the morning and pork after that.” Then he asked me what I was going to do with them. I think I will have to make a double batch and take him some. I have a feeling this will hit the menu for one night next week.

Thanks! I think I will use my tube smoker on the kettle, it’s a cold smoke after all. I think I might use chives instead of parsley, give it a tiny bit of “oniony goodness”.
Will report back on that.

Yes, that was me that shared it here, and it was definitely from Guga !!
i usually use it as a finishing butter for steaks, would love to hear other ideas.

Just talked to my butcher this morning, he will have some cut for me around noon, I will smoke off the bones this afternoon and make up the butter for steaks tomorrow (or the next day).
Thanks Brian for joining in!

I totally forgot about the bleedout step! They are in the kettle as I type! Guga says 2.5 hours so, that will give me time to get dinner sorted out for tonight. I’m not using the compound butter yet. Steaks are thawing for maybe Thursday.
DA252374-7A0E-4AD1-BEED-A6809F3A3413.jpeg
Will file the finished compound butter when it’s done, I’m using unsalted butter because I have it. I can add salt easily enough.

I’m being optimistic, doing a big double batch these were large pieces of femur! I want to share some with a buddy AND my butcher. My Dad was very serious about taking care of the people that provide you with food and services. It is something I feel good about knowing the people in my neighborhood store, the cashiers, manager, asst. manager, freezer guy, dairy guy, deli people and especially the butcher! I miss the old guy who retired, he was the kind of guy that was never worried about doing something special when I needed a crown roast or nice standing rib roast.
Treat those people with the respect they deserve and they will do something special when you need it.
“Kindness begets kindness!”

Hey, Tim. I made this after Brian posted it, and it was an amazing addition to top some ridiculously large porterhouse steaks. Talk about indulgent! :) I skipped the bleed out step as well with no real issue. One tip is to really watch your temp and keep it low. It didn't take much to really liquify the marrow when I did mine (temp got away from me a bit), so keep it as low as you can. You are really looking to smoke infuse the marrow while keeping it from transforming into a liquid state.

Good luck!

R

I used my “A-Maze-N” smoke tube, temp stayed very cool. No liquification problem at all.
I’m re doing my kitchen and made the compound up before I realized I’d forgotten to take a picture of the smoked bones.
Now, it’s all made up and divided into two large and one smaller cylinders. Two for keeping (I think) and one for the butcher!

Well, I took a break from the kitchen remodel just long enough to try the stuff and all I can say is WOW!
I think that is going to be a pantry (freezer) staple from here on! I like it a lot,
Thanks folks!

Yep, if not for him, I would not have been able to make the stuff!
He gets his tomorrow, I have to finish painting the walls, trim and ceiling will come later. New gas range and fridge will arrive Saturday!

Had not seen the butcher for a few days but, he said he really enjoyed the stuff! His wife wasn’t so enchanted by it but, you can’t win every time.

Back