Looking to replace '02 Genesis Silver B grates with GrillGrates

BartLeDew

Time for some new grates for my Silver B and I've been eyeing GrillGrates.

For anyone that has done this, did you get the custom cut pieces or is there a weber model on the site that will drop right in for a nice fit?

I don't own grill grates, but the ones listed under Spirit 300 should fit the silver B just fine.

Measure twice :)

edit: here are dimensions on Weber's site and they list some of the spirit 3xx series as the same

I believe TVWBB forum rules prohibit discussions of religion, politics and GrillGrates. ;)

Some people don't like GGs. Some people do. I like them.

I have the full replacement set on my 2001 Silver B. I believe that is the same size as what you'd get for a Spirit 300. 17.375 long panels; four full panels plus one gap panel wide.

Fits well front to back. Just make sure your old cookbox does not bow out too far. Mine was a little bowed out and the GGs still fit fine. If the bowing was more extreme, then the GGs might get a little short in spots.

Side to side, the full set is a little short. Which is fine, since it is a good idea to leave a little gap on the sides for airflow. You can always push the GGs over to one side so they are flush against the side of the cookbox. I usually do that when I use the flat side for griddling.

I also have the GGs on my newer Genesis. I think those are 18.8 long.

Well, there is another one of those threads that just popped up with someone wanting to convert their grill by swapping orifices. So, we have a double header going tonight.

Time for some new grates for my Silver B and I've been eyeing GrillGrates.

For anyone that has done this, did you get the custom cut pieces or is there a weber model on the site that will drop right in for a nice fit?
Brad from GrillGrate here. You are being steered correctly to the Spirit 300 set. We have a 1990's era Silver B as well, in Red that lives in our lobby and regularly rolled out to grill lunch. We also have Genesis from 2009, and a Genesis II in the beautiful ACE Hardware blue, but 'Old Red' still gets most of the love at GG HQ. Enjoying everyone's good humor here! #grillgrateful

Brad from GrillGrate here. You are being steered correctly to the Spirit 300 set. We have a 1990's era Silver B as well, in Red that lives in our lobby and regularly rolled out to grill lunch. We also have Genesis from 2009, and a Genesis II in the beautiful ACE Hardware blue, but 'Old Red' still gets most of the love at GG HQ. Enjoying everyone's good humor here! #grillgrateful
Brad, thanks for confirming.

A suggestion for your website.

Revise the listing to make it more obvious what fits a Genesis silver or gold B / C and the x000 grills.

The last listing for older genesis seems to lead one astray.

I use Grill Grates on my kettle more often than not. For me I find them a fantastic product for the purpose of kabobs, chicken breasts, hamburgers, grilled veggies.

Bart,

It's like anything else. There are pros and cons. I am not currently in the camp that believes they are a health risk, but have a lot of respect for those who do feel that way. As far as cooking, yes, they are a "crutch." It's a lot harder to mess up with these. You will get very consistent results once you get used to them. I know some don't agree, but I think they are a legit choice for grilling - just different.

JimC in Denver said it all better than I could have as far as what you want for your grill. I agree 100% with his assessment that you need a little bit of breathing room on the left and right.

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg
Burgers on GrillGrates.jpeg
IMG_4154(1).jpg

And I will tell you it's a gimmick. Good cooking can do far better than whether or not your food looks like someone took a magic marker to it

Back