Looking to replace '02 Genesis Silver B grates with GrillGrates

Yah, Sear marks are more of a visual thing than anything else. But, in the end, an appetizing looking steak is a great way to start a meal.

Well, there is another one of those threads that just popped up with someone wanting to convert their grill by swapping orifices. So, we have a double header going tonight.
Is it frowned upon to discuss GG or is it just beaten to death? New member here so might still miss some of the nuanced jokes and conversation :)

Here is the technical side of how they work. They block about 80% of the air flow (heat) that is SUPPOSED to take place from the burners and heat deflectors trapping that excess heat inside the fire box. In doing this it forces the temp of the grates to rise to very high levels so when you slap something on them it makes the protein look like you took a magic marker to it and painted lines all over it. Some think that's cool and I say it's BS. First you should never trap air flow in the cook box. Not good for it. Next what's the point of black lines? Good cooking techniques which give an overall Maillard reaction (sear) on your protein will taste better, look better overall and be better for your grill.
But, if lines make you happy and the worry of warping internal components is not on your list have at it. Best IMO to learn to cook properly. To each their own though.

If you want a properly seared steak, buy a cast iron griddle or skillet to use on your grill.

Or, buy a blow torch.
t0sG1c6.jpg

I'm pretty sure these are opinions from people who have never tried them and likely never actually seen them other than in pictures. How can you honestly review something if you've never tried them?

For more of a world view, google "grillgrate review" and read what the established critics have to say.

Ed, I have not tried them. I have nothing against them. I am not pro Grill Grates either except that I do think they make cool looking grill marks.

Ed, I have not tried them. I have nothing against them. I am not pro Grill Grates either except that I do think they make cool looking grill marks.
I tend to use the griddle side most often, but to each his own. I think the grill marks make for good picture taking, if that is your thing. It is true that people eat with their eyes first, but I prefer an all-over char. I might put some grill marks on for those that enjoy a good looking steak. It's nice to have options. I will say that GrillGrates heat up very fast and I never turn my back on a grill these days with things being as dry as they are in the southwest. Besides, I usually use my Smoke to set the grill temp and those probes can be damaged if the grill temp goes much over about 550F.

Yah, the grill marks are key. If you look at any restaraunt commercial that shows some of the food, 90% of the time, whether it be a steak, a burger, chicken or even veggies will have well defined grill marks on it. That is because that is appealing to 90% of the people out there. They are not trying to educate anyone. They are trying to sell food.

I was compensated a set of grill grates, I tried them, I used them on my BBQ themed TV Show, I saw no added value in them, I gave them away.

I was compensated a set of grill grates, I tried them, I used them on my BBQ themed TV Show, I saw no added value in them, I gave them away.
They are not for everybody...this isn't a one-size-fits-all world. I'm happy with mine, so I guess that balances things out. Just don't be a hater...too many haters in this world already.

I see no "hate" in the above posts. Just people posting their opinions. The discussion is good. As long as it stays civil, then I am all for it.

If you want a properly seared steak, buy a cast iron griddle or skillet to use on your grill.

I agree.

Hot metal (i.e. induction) is the most efficient sear/Maillard process. Radiation (IR burner, direct charcoal, or a blowtorch) sears well too. Convection (regular gas grill; indirect zone on a charcoal grill) is the weakest method for sear/Maillard-ing.

A gas grill laid out with one side griddle and one-side grates is, imo, a most excellent set-up if your grill doesn't otherwise have an IR burner. Even better if you set up your griddle/sear zone on the side of your Weber grill that has the extra sear burner.

I prefer an edge-to-edge sear (personal preference) more than the stripes. The flat side of the GGs is an excellent tool for that sear/Maillarding job. My usual set up for steaks is one side GG flat side and one side grate (Weber grate or GGs right side up).

For my 2000 Silver B, the GGs gave me (i) some extra heat overall, (ii) better searing (when using the flat side), and (iii) WAY better flare-up suppression and more even heat distribution across the whole cooktop.

Think of (iii) as effectively the same thing as adding a second layer (like the older deep cookbox Webers had) of flav bars. Really comes in handy when cooking a big load of wings. No need to divide the cooktop into distinct direct/indirect zones. I can squeeze 14 pounds of wings into one big direct zone without any China Syndrome.

YMMV.

Last edited:
I see no "hate" in the above posts. Just people posting their opinions. The discussion is good. As long as it stays civil, then I am all for it.
I agree, but this gets repetitious after awhile. I think the best solution is, if you are wondering about GrillGrates, then try them and if you don't like them, give them to someone who will appreciate them. Don't bash them every chance you get, especially if you haven't tried them. If you've tried them and don't like them, then you have your reasons, but always remember the rehabber's creed: One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure.

Back