Looking for quality offset cooker

FoonGuyen

Greetings Pit Masters, I live in Southern Cali. I own and smoke on a 18 & 22 WSM. I am looking to move towards an offset the size and quality as a Franklin Pit(The one he's selling for $5k+) Can anyone advise/recommend an offset of similar quality and size but cheaper?

Welcome here! I don't have a recommendation on a quality unit similarly built for a lesser cost but I just want to say for your sake that I hope you're absolutely certain you will get good use of an offset. In addition to my WSM's and SmokeFire I also have an M Grills M1. I really do enjoy using it, including chopping splits of wood, but I am sometimes limited in being able to use it because I need to be available to feed a new split every 45-55 minutes, which sometimes requires additional time than just throwing it in the burn pit.

If I were not absolutely certain about one, I'd probably first look at a cheap Oklahoma Joe.

Good luck!

Last edited:
You might also look into Yoder Smokers. I have a 24"x48" Yoder grill and it's built well.

Look for something that's sealed well, and heavy weight steel.

Greetings Pit Masters, I live in Southern Cali. I own and smoke on a 18 & 22 WSM. I am looking to move towards an offset the size and quality as a Franklin Pit(The one he's selling for $5k+) Can anyone advise/recommend an offset of similar quality and size but cheaper?
I have been looking and reading on offsets for awhile, just no room or time right now. If I was going to get one it would be a Workhorse Pit.

I love my Franklin pit. I bought it when the price was quite a bit lower. There are running a sale right now, but it's still pretty high. The Workhorse is good for the price, but I don't like its baffle. You might look into the new Old Country G2 pits. The new style is similar to the Franklin pit. The baffle is removable which gives you some configuration options. It's got a smoke stack collector and a double walled firebox. Their quality is not going to be nearly as high.

Lone Star Grillz would be my pick. If you’re wanting under $1k, you’re getting largely junk. Maybe an XD Series would be a decent choice but it’s not perfect

A lot of companies have broken down and started copying the Franklin design. LSG has a Texas model that $3195. It has a weird design that's a more extreme version of what Jambo does, by having a baffle directing all the heat upwards. I fear it might interfere with airflow and convection. You can also get their regular models with a Franklin style collector. The problem is they use tuning plates.

Gator pit has started making Franklin style pits.

Here's the Workhorse 1957 which is comparable

There's the Goldees smoker that uses a completely different design;

Shirley Fabrication has a Franklin style offset as well, but their website is garbage. They are so well known, they probably don't need one. I'd check out their instagram page.

Everyone wants that Franklin style collector these days, but where a lot of these pits differ is how the firebox connects to the cooks chamber. A lot of these use a baffle to direct the excess heat downwards. The problem with this is it creates bottom up cooking which isn't ideal for rendering the fat cap on a brisket. Some like Jambo and the LSG Texas model direct the heat upwards and it comes back down on the meat. The Franklin and Millscale almost fall into this camp with their waterpan shelves but I think you get a slightly better mix of top and bottom heat. Goldees uses a tube to connect the firebox and cook chamber. The problem with them is where the tube comes into the cook chamber it's almost like a blast furnace but everywhere not in that area is great bbq real estate for brisket. They all have tradeoffs. Having bottom up heat makes upper shelves more useable. In top down pits, that uppershelf is called "the microwave" because it gets so hot. But it's great for chicken. If you don't intend on cooking briskets, a lot of this stuff doesn't matter.

Anyway, sorry for the book. Good luck on your search. There's even more out there I'm sure.

Last edited:
Here's another really good option, but he's in Texas.

Back