looking for dedicated smoker, what do you recommend?

Jim, read about the slow'n sear on Amazin Ribs. I have not found any bad press about it. Mine is still in the box, but they say 8-10 hours at 225-250. You could further control it with a tip top temp (yard and pool still has them for $20 if you search this site - I think it might take a code) or an ATC like a Party Q from BBQ Guru. BBQ guru also has a wifi model that you can monitor (and control I think) from away. To just monitor from away, you could back the Fireboard. If you're handy you could also build a heatermeter to control and monitor.

All that being said, a pellet grill will hold a stable temp out of the box, it's cooking with wood and I have many friends that love theirs as much as I love mine. Since it's still cooking with a fire, I don't like leaving it completely unattended, but with my heatermeter to monitor, I don't worry about leaving for a quick errand. But if you have your grill in a place that couldn't burn down your house, you could easily leave with about anything that has temp control.

I also understand with the kids. I bought the big smoker so I could cook a ton and eat on it for days as leftovers before kids practices and such.

Last edited:
Jim, if it was me I would keep the gas grill and get a WSCG or similar Kamado and sell everything else. A Kamado or WSCG can cook anything and bake your dessert. That is my preference based on how and what I want to cook now. My experience goes back to the early 1980 using Webers Kettles and more recently over the last 10 or so years using WSMs both for backyard cooks and KCBS competitions. I also help out with bbq catering and festival vending with my brother’s company using Meadow Creeks.

Between my brothers and I we either own or have owned:
Traeger Little Tex (pellets), Meadow Creek 48 and 60 inch cookers, Ugly Drum, 22 and 18 WSMs, Ranch Kettles, Performers, 22 and 18 OTSs, and a Pizzeria Pronto propane pizza cooker.

I am slowly selling, trading, or donating all or most of my Weber grills and WSMs. I will likely keep a Smokey or Jumbo Joe. Earlier in the year I was considering a WSCG until I seen the price.

I ended up taking and leaving the Ranch Kettle to work for larger cooks. Traded my 22 WSM for a BBQ Grillware, a 18 x 30 horizontal grill which is like a Charbroil CB940x but stainless with an adjustable fire pan. This is great for grilling large quantities but not for low and slow or high heat pizzas.

Sold the Performer and I was at Walmart looking at 14 inch WSMs when I noticed Akorn Kamados on sale. They are insulated steel like WSCGs. Did some research and found a nice community of happy users. I found a Walmart floor model for $90 and have 4 cooks in; pizza at 600+, chicken 2x at 350ish, pork butt at 275ish. I have a 14 lb brisket in the frig which is going on this weekend.

The Akorn really holds temps (oven like) from the mid 200s to mid 600s+, hardly uses any charcoal, and is more versatile unlike anything else I have used before. With the brisket I will only monitor the meat temp with a digital therm probe (or not and just check the meat when I think it is done) but not the cooker that’s how confident I am with the stability of how it cooks. I’m sure the WSCG or other Kamados can do the same as they are all similar cookers.

As far as ceramic Kamados, a Vision or Pit Boss can get you in with fewer funds compared to a BGE or Kamado Joe. Pit Boss (22 in. grill) was at Costco for $588 (clearance for $399) back in July. Akorn Kamados are smaller (19.75 in. grill) but priced at $288 (Lowes, Home Depot) or $190 on sale at Walmart. I now have my Pizzeria Pronto on sale as the Akorn cooks pizzas just as well.

I expect to end up with the Akorn or a ceramic Kamado (if I upgrade next year) and a propane grill like a Genesis. The gasser adds flexibility for larger cooks or weeknights. My weekend cooker is the Akorn but for larger parties I can put low and slow proteins on the Kamado (or roast whole chickens) and use the gasser for side dishes (veggies, salmon, garlic bread, burgers, appetizers, etc.).

Good luck,

Last edited:
My question on the slow-n-sear is, with that much charcoal in a tight space, how does the temp stay down?

When I do low tem indirect, I have unlit coals behind firebricks. I am using a 26.75 inch Weber kettle. In my limited experience, I can only hold temps of 275 or less, if my stack of unlit coals is pretty short (no more than 5 or 6 high. If I put a huge pile of unlit behind my firebricks, like the slow-n-sear does, what happens to me, is that a few hours in, too many of them light and I get a big spike. Maybe I'm letting too much air in?

My question on the slow-n-sear is, with that much charcoal in a tight space, how does the temp stay down?

..................If I put a huge pile of unlit behind my firebricks, like the slow-n-sear does, what happens to me, is that a few hours in, too many of them light and I get a big spike. Maybe I'm letting too much air in?
Jim.
I think you're right about letting too much air in. I pack out my 14.5 charcoal ring with briqs, & only add 10-12 lits briqs. With the bottom vents fully open, the temp climbs quite quickly. Shut off the air supply and the burn slows right down.
Just crack the ash sweep a smidgeon to let the air in to allow just enough combustion to keep the fuel slow burning.
Water in the SnS water pan will also increase fuel consumption.

Last edited:
If I needed to leave the cooker for any length of time, I'd just get the pellet cooker and call it a day.

I have been thinking about a larger smoker just for the ability to do more meat at a time. I think a weber smokey mountain smokes as well as anything if the cook holds up to his end of the deal and if you are worried about easy get one of the temp control devices on the market. Im looking at the 270 smokers brand and saving my money thinking of doing a few comps a year. I would never get rid of my WSM. The MAIN thing with the WSM is keeping it out of the wind. I built a 3 sided cinderblock wall using my smoker behind and smoke at times with 30 plus mile an hour winds with 0 problems. Just using vents to control temp on mine.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a DEDICATED SMOKER to back-up your Grill -

I've found that it's pretty hard to beat a WSM (at least, for a "first smoker")
That's what I did about 6 years ago - and I've never regretted the choice

At first, I was intrigued by the tradition and build-quality of the Stick-Burners (like Klose and others) - but once I did some reading and research, which let me HERE, I decided that a WSM seemed like a Quality piece of equipment that was not ridiculously expensive, should I decide that running a smoker was not for me...
I like my gasser and Performer for quicker cooks. But when I have the time, I really enjoy my WSM and the results that I am able to achieve with it. I have found that it is "just right" for what I want to do and the amount that I use it. My lust for a stick-burner has worn-away (maybe someday when I semi-retire...)

If you get a quality unit - the Pellet smokers are even MORE hands-off, but once you "learn the ropes" with a WSM; it is also pretty low-maintenance to run.
(I spend about an hour setting it up and dialing it in - then, I just need to "eyeball" it once an hour or so / sometimes even less until things are getting close to being "done".)

If you're looking for a DEDICATED SMOKER to back-up your Grill -

I've found that it's pretty hard to beat a WSM (at least, for a "first smoker")
That's what I did about 6 years ago - and I've never regretted the choice

At first, I was intrigued by the tradition and build-quality of the Stick-Burners (like Klose and others) - but once I did some reading and research, which let me HERE, I decided that a WSM seemed like a Quality piece of equipment that was not ridiculously expensive, should I decide that running a smoker was not for me...
I like my gasser and Performer for quicker cooks. But when I have the time, I really enjoy my WSM and the results that I am able to achieve with it. I have found that it is "just right" for what I want to do and the amount that I use it. My lust for a stick-burner has worn-away (maybe someday when I semi-retire...)

If you get a quality unit - the Pellet smokers are even MORE hands-off, but once you "learn the ropes" with a WSM; it is also pretty low-maintenance to run.
(I spend about an hour setting it up and dialing it in - then, I just need to "eyeball" it once an hour or so / sometimes even less until things are getting close to being "done".)

Thanks to all.

I bough the slow-n-sear for my 26.75 inch kettle, will try it out this weekend. If it works as advertised, that will be my go-to smoking unit. If not, they have a 30-day no questions asked money back guarantee, and I'll take my refund, and likely get either a 22" WSM, or a Kamado or Bog Green Egg.

I'm not familiar with the slow-n-sear, but I do have a Smokenator and it does a good job turning the kettles into a smoker.
IF it doesn't work out, keep in mind that ceramics can be fragile.
If you are looking at a Pit Barrel Cooker, you owe it to yourself to check out the Hunsaker Smokers as well.
As has been said, the WSM is hard to beat. Add a ATC and you're about as set and forget as they come.
Good luck and enjoy your food!

Last edited:
Jim, if you want a true dedicated low & slow smoker that provides great results everytime, I suggest the Good One smoker line. They are heavy steel off set stair type smokers. That are easy to use, burn lump and provide the best flavor & smoker rings that I have every been able to do at my house. I have used Webers & Green Egg. And the Good One is my favorite smoker. And good old USofA made. Well that's my 2 cents for whats it worth.
Keep grillin' & chillin'
The old Grill Goat

Jim, just in case the SnS doesn't do what you want, perhaps you might revisit your setup on the 26'er. I can hit and hold just about whatever temp range I want, for upwards of 12 hours or more using the Snake method. you basically control the chamber/cooking temp by how you build the snake. i.e. 2 coals wide x 2 coals tall, or 2x2x1, or 3x2x1, or 3x3x1, etc. the more coals in each segment, the higher the chamber temp. Overall length of the snake helps determine how long the cook can go. Of course, vents play a part as well in raising/lowering the temp and shortening/lengthening the burn.

I have a kettle for single item smokes but for low n slow larger items go with assassian smokers. Built the same as a stumps but you get way more and much more room for a cheaper price. They are built like tanks and the owner Jeff is a top notch guy.

You could do low & slow smoking with your 22" performer or ranch kettle by banking coals at one side. I use the Smokenator on my Performer. By following the detailed instructions it works great. Folks have done it for less $ with a few firebricks to block the coals. Only problem is that it decreases the cooking grate by about 40%. To alleviate this you could add a Hovergrill or similar stacked grill..top grill will be hotter.

If you want a "dedicated" smoker, as many have suggested, the WSM is a great lower cost smoker. Many competition BBQ folks use one. Once you learn how to set the vents based on wind, ambient temp and amount of coals used you should be able to maintain a temp +/- 5 degrees for at least an hour or two before adjusting. I cooked a turkey breast a few days ago on my 22" WSM and it maintained my target temp for at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours as I monitored it on a Maverick remote guage.

The Weber Summit would be great...but much more expensive.

Back