Looking for a "Tried and True" Method to Cook a TENDER Sirloin.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
As the title implies, I've cooked a few sirloins in my lifetime, but they are not the most tender cut of meat. Taste okay and the price is right, but generally can be tougher than other cuts of beef.

So, I am looking for advice on how to cook a tender sirloin. I've asked Dr. Google and read a few entries on the interwebs, but you just don't know what to believe or what to ignore. Everybody has an opinion and I'm not sure who to trust.

So, I thought I'd come to the definitive source for advice and here I am!

Discuss...

Thanks!

For me:

1) no more medium rare and
2) when slicing on your plate make sure your first mouth-size piece is cut against the grain. Also, not to thick a cut cuz remember you want to minimize the size of the "grain" you're eating, very similar to when you're slicing brisket. Against the grain.

1) no more medium rare and
2) when slicing on your plate make sure your first mouth-size piece is cut against the grain.

What Len said^^^

In addition, try salting the meat liberally about an hour before cooking. Put it back in the refrigerator. When you get ready to grill, rinse off any excess salt and dry the steak thoroughly with paper towels. Use the reverse sear method to cook.

If you can find a prime grade that helps. I found a few at my local Costco. Plus what was already said above.

A question about your sirloin.... is it top sirloin or bottom sirloin? Have you tried marinating before you grill it?

I usually marinate mine, seems to help tenderize it and other than that basically what Len said.

Do you mean no more than medium rare? Or no more medium rare, we gotta cook the heck out of it! I remember in the 80s the sirloin was supposed to be healthier because of less fat. I remember pretty much my whole life until maybe the last 10 years always ordering them. These days I prefer ribeye or straps, but occasionally I like a good sirloin. Makes me feel like a canivore.

Jeff.

Invest in a Vortex. (Are you watching Rich D). Fill it up with hot coals. Go indirect to an IT of 120[SUP]o[/SUP]f.

Then put each steak over the Vortex for 30 seconds either side. This is the only way I will cook steaks. Period. I cannot say any more than that.

Tony, the next give away on the forum for a Vortex, we should all stuff the ballot box for Rich. Might be the only way to get him one.
Just my 20 cents. And yes, the Vortex is revolutionizing the way we cook some things.

Jeff.

Invest in a Vortex. (Are you watching Rich D). Fill it up with hot coals. Go indirect to an IT of 120[SUP]o[/SUP]f.

Then put each steak over the Vortex for 30 seconds either side. This is the only way I will cook steaks. Period. I cannot say any more than that.

Bob, I agree. My name is Rich D., & I claim my Vortex. ;)

Edit: Apologies Jeff for de-railing your thread.

Last edited:
Jeff.

Invest in a Vortex.

In fact, I own a Vorex but have only used it to cook chicken thus far. I will give it a try with the sirloin.

For the record, my wife put the sirloin in the slow cooker last night on high for about 4 hours and it came out fairly tender. Not fall apart, but it was good.

I've seen the recommendations to marinate first but have not had a chance to try it yet.

Do you mean no more than medium rare?
No matter how many times I proof read something, I miss something :mad: Yah, no more than med rare. Any more and you start losing more moisture. In any case, slicing in the right direction is probably most important.

Since switching to the reverse sear grilling method, my steaks seems tenderer, juicier and more flavorful...even when overcooked.

Back