Looking for a pickle recipe

B Krikalo

TVWBB Member
Love store bought dill pickles, but have a garden and want to make my own this year. I want spicy dill or what ever you love to make no bread and butter thought. please share. thanks

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on your post but maybe try this one next year. Freezer pickles may sound strange but these truly have become my favorite pickle recipe. Sweet and spicy and no canning necessary. I just freeze them in canning jars. I can eat an entire jar by myself of these. They are very addicting.
Hot and Sweet Freezer Pickles

Prep Time: 0 hr 0 min | Cook Time: 0 hr 0 min | Servings: 1 serving | Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:

3-1/2 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 1 pound)

1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings

2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and sliced

3 large garlic cloves, pressed

1 tablespoon salt

1 cup sugar

1 cup white vinegar

2 tablespoons water

Directions:

Combine first five ingredients in large bowl.

Cook 1 cup sugar, 1 cup vinegar and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture over cucumber mixture. Cover and chill 48 hours.

Spoon evenly into 6 half pint or 3 pint canning jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch of room at the top; seal, label, and freeze pickles 8 hours or up to 6 months. Thaw in refrigerator before serving; use thawed pickles within one week.

Source: My collection

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager. http://www.paprikaapp.com

I think I'll have to try those Len. If I can't find pickling cukes I suppose I could just chop regular ones into 2-3" sections? (I bot that book on Jeff's rec)

I see in Bears link that they cut the end (doesn't say stem or flower) to prevent mushiness. Bicks doesnt do that and they're always crispy. So I don't know how valid that tip is.

If I can't find pickling cukes I suppose I could just chop regular ones into 2-3" sections?

Yes, into whatever size you want.

And if you like store-bought version, just save the brine, stick your unpickled cukes in it, refrigerate for 2-3 weeks. Then eat.

Back