Loin Back ribs.....Lampe Style

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Well, since we scored in the meat department today, I figured the best way to reward myself was to cook up some ribs.......but it was already 3p! No problem, HH Loin Backs a la Lampe will be perfect!

I lit up some leftover charcoal in the 26'er, and dumped a chimney of unlit on top of that. While that was doing it's thing, I opened up my package of ribs, selected one rack for dinner, and FoodSaver'd the other two for down the road. I did a little olive oil massage, then a good dusting of DP Red Eye Express on both sides.

IMG_6657.jpeg

Once the fire was ready, the ribs went on indirect with a chunk of Apple (trying to stay true to Jim's first post):

IMG_6658.jpeg

After 30 minutes, I popped the hood for the flip, and the ribs looked like this:

IMG_6660.jpeg

20 minutes after that, I opened the grill up again to foil, and things looked like this:

IMG_6661.jpeg

After 20 minutes in foil, I put the ribs over direct heat for 1 minute per side, then pulled indirect again:

IMG_6663.jpeg

18 more minutes (90 total), the ribs came off for a 15-20 minute rest loosely covered on my cutting board. When we were ready to eat, they were carved up:

IMG_6665.jpeg

These ribs were among the best baby/loin backs I have ever had. Juicy, flavorful, crusty, and tender as all get out! It has been quite a while since I did high heat ribs, but I can guarantee that it will not be that long before I do them again. What a great treat! Thanks for posting your recent cook, Jim, it was the inspiration I needed!

Rich

Awesome Ribs, Rich. I need to do some on the kettle too. Doing them on the WSM is kinda cheating LOL

Awesome Ribs, Rich. I need to do some on the kettle too. Doing them on the WSM is kinda cheating LOL
This was one of the easiest cooks ever, Chuck. Just get charcoal lit, put ribs on, turn, wrap, unwrap, eat. I didn't look at the thermometer at all, ran with vents full open (I know my 26'er with one chimney likes to run between 400-450), and trusted in Jim's original timing.....worked great, no stress. :)

R

Those BBs look great Rich. I've been doing my ribs HH since I saw Jim's first post at least the first time I saw him do it. Did a few time changes and now also do St. Louis spares with the same good results.

Those BBs look great Rich. I've been doing my ribs HH since I saw Jim's first post at least the first time I saw him do it. Did a few time changes and now also do St. Louis spares with the same good results.
What's your timing on spares, Rich? I don't think I've ever had spares cooked hot/fast that were tender......I'm willing to learn, though! :)

R

Ribs look very tasty i have never done HH always did them in the weber smoker now you got me thinking:unsure:i just picked up some fresh BB yesterday now i'm not sure which way to cook them......decisions decisions

Ribs look very tasty i have never done HH always did them in the weber smoker now you got me thinking:unsure:i just picked up some fresh BB yesterday now i'm not sure which way to cook them......decisions decisions
That's easy.....cook them both ways..... :)

R

i would but i only bought one rack, but it seems it would be less work doing HH on the jumbo i just don't want to wreck them for what i paid. i still have a few days to decide, decisions decisions:unsure:

well rich, i'm glad it worked for you as well it has for me and many others over the years...
honestly, it IS the ONLY way i make baby back ribs.... and i'll do them again in a few days.

Your Ribs, My Friend, Look Absolutely Perfect! And I'd eet.gifEet At Least Half Of What You Got Cut Up There!!
Nice EZ Cook, With a GREAT Outcome!

Back