Lock Washer ineffectiveness? Who knew?

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
I found this while going down a Quora rabbit hole. Then I searched some more and found other citations of the same. I had no idea that lockwashers seem to be ineffective (even detrimental) in preventing bolts from loosening. In researching multiple people from NASA to the USAF claim that they are not even used. If you want to secure you use Safety wire, cotter pins or self-locking nuts. Here is a link from Bolt Science (who knew there was a site Bolt Science?)
Interested in your thoughts and experiences on this.

David Lewinnek
20+ years engineering, mostly cars and factory equipmentUpdated 3y
What is an open secret in your profession that we regular folk don't know or generally aren't allowed to be told about?
Originally Answered: What is an open secret in your profession that us regular folk don't know or generally aren't allowed to be told about?
You know those extra parts in your Ikea desk that you spent hours searching for, the little lockwashers? Here’s the open secret: those damn things are useless, and the desk would probably have held together for longer if you hadn’t found them under the rug.
To the untrained eye, split ring lockwashers look like they will dig in and keep screws from loosening, but in reality they are as useless as, well, I actually can’t think of an example of anything as useless as these things. Maybe as useless as the percentage of argon in the air we breathe? As useless as a horoscope prediction from ten years before you were conceived? As useless as the caps lock on e.e. cummings’ typewriter? In a world with well-informed designers, rational users, and honest sellers of hardware, these would not exist:
main-qimg-b959139f5db94a5ebd23df7721dc625b-pjlq

I’m a cranky arrogant old guy, and I admit that I have a completely irrational dislike of split ring lockwashers and the young whippersnappers who don’t listen to me about them. It’s true that they (both the lockwashers and the young whippersnappers) offend my delicate sensibilities and make me swear a lot, but it’s not just me who thinks they are useless.
NASA administrators traditionally get unhappy when they have to send an astronaut up to tighten a loose screw on a satellite. For much less than the cost of a single manned rocket launch, they commissioned a study on fastener reliability, and made it available to the public as NASA Reference Publication 1228. Here is an excerpt:
The typical helical spring washer shown in figure 14 is made of slightly trapezoidal wire formed into a helix of one coil so that the free height is approximately twice the thickness of the washer cross section. They are usually made of hardened carbon steel, but they are also available in aluminum, silicon, bronze, phosphor-bronze, stainless steel, and K-Monel.
The lockwasher serves as a spring while the bolt is being tightened. However, the washer is normally flat by the time the bolt is fully torqued. At this time it is equivalent to a solid flat washer, and its locking ability is nonexistent. In summary, a lockwasher of this type is useless for locking
You don’t have to trust just the fancypants academics at NASA, though. An unsmiling German guy named Gerhard Junker invented the Junker test to evaluate just how useless split ring lockwashers are, and that was back in the 1960s. Junker took a fastener, held two parts together with the fastener, and shook the assembly until it came loose. The results of the first Junker tests were that split ring lockwashers loosened about twice as fast as if they were not present. In other words, split ring lockwashers actively sabotage your assembly:
main-qimg-a795bcb5b22f65cf414f36f1b6837315-lq

There are some down to earth people at the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) who try to make people’s lives easier by releasing standards so that different nuts and bolts and washers are interchangeable. The section on split ring lockwashers in ASME B18.21.1–1999 says:
2.1 The helical spring‐lock washers covered in this Standard are intended for general applications. Helical spring‐lock washers compensate for developed looseness between component parts of an assembly, distribute the load over a larger area for some head styles, and provide a hardened bearing surface
Note that ASME doesn’t say that split ring lockwashers are used for locking anything in place. They do say that the springiness can compensate for developed looseness, but I have yet to see a situation where that is useful. The force from a split ring lockwasher is generally about 1% to 10% of the screw tension of a properly tightened fastener. Once the tension has gone down by 90%, the joint has generally failed even if there is a forgiving spring to account for that last 10%. In fact, most of the time I would prefer to hear a rattle if my joint tension has changed by an order of magnitude or two.
In conclusion, just say “No” to split ring lockwashers! Unless you’re German, then you can say “Nein.” Or if you’re Japanese you can say “Iya”. I don’t actually care what language you speak, just don’t use split ring lock washers, OK?
Update 8/28/2019: Several questions have come up multiple times in the comments. I’ll try to answer the most frequent questions here:
Q1: Why don’t they work?
A1: When you apply force to this kind of lockwasher, it becomes flat and the sharp edge is not pointed in a useful direction. When the sharp edge is pointed towards the nut or flange, there isn’t enough force to make it dig in. At no time during the screw tightening sequence do you get both the force and geometry needed.
Q2: Why were they ever used?
A2: James Watt built steam engines 49 years BEFORE Sadi Carnot first published the second law of thermodynamics. In the same way, threaded fasteners were used because they mostly worked, and were used long before the 1960s when we first developed a detailed theoretical understanding of why they worked. One unfortunate result of using bolts before we knew why they worked is that people thought split ring lockwashers would work, and by the time it was shown that they didn’t, their use had become customary. Also, they’re called “lockwashers” so one could be forgiven (although not by me) for assuming that they lock things in place.

731K views
10.2K upvotes
173 shares
546 comments

I had always wondered how a lock washer could do anything if it has been flattened. Thanks for sharing.

IDK I have forgotten lock washers and been bit in the butt. IMO they work and in proper application protocol and torque are indispensable in keeping things together. I can see where they might not be the best solution but they do work

IDK I have forgotten lock washers and been bit in the butt. IMO they work and in proper application protocol and torque are indispensable in keeping things together. I can see where they might not be the best solution but they do work
I’ll just leave this here while confessing I feel exactly like Larry does more often than not....
1D8744B4-5E19-4664-B6F7-1DB4D6FA649E.png

As with many of the articles on Quora, the information isn’t as universal as the writer wants to make it appear. Split washers can work, under some circumstances (but not all). They also can fail, under some circumstances (but not all.)

The effectiveness of split lock washers is highly dependent on many factors, including the surface hardness of the bolt/nut and the underlying material. They will work with soft steel fasteners on aluminum, for instance, but as the hardness of the materials goes up the less effective they are. With hardened bolts and many steel alloys, they can in fact be less reliable than a plain but properly torqued fastener.

It comes down to suitability for task, which is why there are other options like Schnorr washers and Nordlocks (not to mention castle nuts, tab washers, Loctite 271, and so on.) There is no one answer.

Before reading the posting on Quora it had never even occurred to me that lock washers may not work as I thought. Before posting that link here I researched more and found many other links supporting the Quora posting and that is why I supplied one of the other many links that seem credible to me. Don't get me wrong. If I take something apart that has lock washers, I will put it back together with lock washers, as I would hope the manufacturer would know what they were doing. But will I trust lock washers absolutely not to loosen anymore, nope.

Aa a 46 year aviation tech. I have used safety wire tons of it and it works very well.
But there is the need to use the right wire for the job. The wire comes in these sizes.
.20 .25,.32, and .41 there is also a .51 but is not used much as it get weak if twisted to much.
The lower wire is used for electrical connectors like cannon plgs, the higher wire is used for about everything else that needs to stay tight.
The basic rule is to use a wire that fills 75% of the hole to which thecwire is routed through. Except on say cannon plugs or light electrical connections.
The wire is the be twisted 8 to 10 turns per inch, and then you must go counter clock wise when you add a second bolt or nut to saftey'd.
Up to three is a usual number but I have done more as to manual may call out.
All the rules can be found online in a book FAR 43-13.
Way more info than you may ever want to know.

I have tons of respect for most aviation techs, mechanics, engineers, ok one I don't respect but that's a separate topic.

For me, for stuff on the ground, (I'm not qualified for airborne grills) I use loctite if I want it to stay put and I use antisieze when SS bolts thread into aluminum.

The only time I see it, is on wooden chairs / stools. Always going back with a Allen wrench and retightening.
Metal on metal never a problem.

Just installed them on a set of pots my wife brought home from Ikea (but, of course!).

Now I know that I still don't know.

Well agree that they do work but I would say a couple factors help.
1) the more surface area you have to apply torque to will help plant the lock washer into the bitting mode.
2) the material that you are securing the fastner to should of like similar, metal to metal, not metal to wood .
Like when building a deck on your house and you are securing outside band board to say uprite post. You would drill install a thur bolt then add a area washer then loch washer, then your nut, so the lock washer would have a surface tooth to bit into.

Now as I stated above I'm aviation we use washers but not lock washers much as most attaching surfaces are machined hence the safety wire requirement.

Just installed them on a set of pots my wife brought home from Ikea (but, of course!).

Now I know that I still don't know.
Funny that reminds me we have a 35 year old Salad master cook set and it has lock washers and I had to tighten or put the handles back on at least once a year until I started using Loctite. These pots, handles, and fasteners are all stainless steel.

Funny that reminds me we have a 35 year old Salad master cook set and it has lock washers and I had to tighten or put the handles back on at least once a year until I started using Loctite. These pots, handles, and fasteners are all stainless steel.
That's mildly interesting. Stainless on Stainless galls, it's almost a self locking single use fastener.

As far as lock washers go..... I've wondered for a long time about split ring, star, and other sorts of lock washers that depend on a spring loaded compression. If I put enough torque on the fastener to squeeze it down completely, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that the locking capabilities are largely lost. That's a case where the opposing serrated ramp style lock washers (name eludes me,) might be a better fit.

If I'm worried about a nut coming off I'll mash the threads with pliers or a chisel.
Did a lot of window work on high rises and didn't like taking any chances.

Back