Lock Washer ineffectiveness? Who knew?

It's a 2 fold process. First is by maintaining spring tension against the screw, and second the washer is usually (or should be) slightly harder than the bolt and it's mating surface allowing the edges to "dig in" slightly and prevent backout

It's a 2 fold process. First is by maintaining spring tension against the screw, and second the washer is usually (or should be) slightly harder than the bolt and it's mating surface allowing the edges to "dig in" slightly and prevent backout
Correct as you say digging in. In the wrong conditions is the first step to corrosion
n I would rather go the Dan Ho route and use lock tight for two reasons it will hold the fastner tight without adding any undo stress or marring of the metal surfaces. Two it also fills the threads to prevent moisture from forming rust, corrosion which is the killer for removing hardware in the first place.

A plain washer helps level and spread out the torque load, lock tight keeps it there.

Correct as you say digging in. In the wrong conditions is the first step to corrosion
n I would rather go the Dan Ho route and use lock tight for two reasons it will hold the fastner tight without adding any undo stress or marring of the metal surfaces. Two it also fills the threads to prevent moisture from forming rust, corrosion which is the killer for removing hardware in the first place.

A plain washer helps level and spread out the torque load, lock tight keeps it there.
There are many cases it's impossible to use Loctite. If you're in a situation you cannot clean the threads or keep them clean for instance. Washers are then the only practical way or some other means of mechanical fastening (wire or such). Lock washers are good devices and again, in their proper application they're as good as it gets.

There are many cases it's impossible to use Loctite. If you're in a situation you cannot clean the threads or keep them clean for instance. Washers are then the only practical way or some other means of mechanical fastening (wire or such). Lock washers are good devices and again, in their proper application they're as good as it gets.
True, as is many places where neither are used. Such as car engines head bolts and other areas. There is no one fits all it is a case case of the lessor evil. All good points Larry good conversation

True, as is many places where neither are used. Such as car engines head bolts and other areas. There is no one fits all it is a case case of the lessor evil. All good points Larry good conversation
Actually I have seen lock washers spec'd in some head applications. I.E. when studs rather than bolts are used. But for the most part in head bolt applications they're generally "torque to yield" or "torque to spec". IOW the engineer has spec'd enough torque to "stretch" the bolt and bring it under a certain amount of tension. Ex: you would torque to say 90 ft lbs then go back and tighten 1/4 turn additional. But, you can then never use those bolts again. In these cases it's the stretch of the bolt itself holding it in place under precise tension rather than another mechanical fastener i.e. the lock washer or safety wire, etc.

I just got done assembling my Akorn Auto-Kamado. It had a combination of split washers, thread lock and nothing.
I don't understand the whys or why nots but all fasteners and mating parts were painted black. I was always taught to go bare metal to metal.
I'm not worried about it tho it's not like i'm driving it down the street.:D

Back