Local Newbie Help?

Over the last several months I've read many instances where newbs have had questions, issues, problems, disasters, etc. for their first or second cook. Most could have been answered (averted) if somebody would have been close by (phone or geographically) to help out.

I may be waaaay out there but would it be advantageous to have a local area call list where somebody would be available locally to help out or answer questions or even help get a first cook underway for somebody? I think it would go a LONG way to eliminating some of the supposed 'mystique' in cooking with WSM or grilling.

Maybe Chris could put it out there (a linked map like he does for the smoke day) where those of us that have been cooking a while would sign up to be available to be a sort of 'local link'. I know I would gladly help out somebody getting started in east central Florida.

I can hook up a local for meat, wood, charcoal, tools, etc. that I've found and would be more than happy to share what I've learned.

Russ

I think it's a good idea for a number of reasons. I can understand if some wouldn't do it because of privacy concerns but I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of volunteers.

I don't imagine that many would want to have their information published and therefore the interest may be small.

Personally, I think just posting on this board will usually get a response pretty quick. The other thing to understand is that if your under stress, you're breaking a BBQ rule of some sort.

You can always post your e-mail address and location in your profile and if you and others in your local want to hook up, that's entirely possible. A number of folks have gotten together from this board. Another option is to get involved with a BBQ organization in your area and I'm sure there will be some wsm'ers there. There's lots of opportunities to find someone local.

I think that is a great idea... I am a newbie and need all the help I can get!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Sorta like Food 911 but with a WSM.
Might be an interesting side-job (free of course)
icon_cool.gif

Tim

I helped a buddy get his equipment purchased and set up. Then the real questions began when he realized he didnt even know how to prepare the meat.
So...I made him a dvd video of me going thru the whole nine yards. I even included the best places to set up the WSM to block wind, minion starts...the whole cook from a to z. He took the disk and watched it several time. He had virtually no questions after looking at it.
Maybe this would work for some of your buddies....just a suggestion.

BTW......he has gotten another friend of his cooking on a WSM so he gave him the disk I made. Passing on the tradition so to speak.

One of the snowmobile forums I frequent is very friendly much like here. There is a section for emergency mechanics questions. The descriptions says your hands must be dirty, the engine apart and have an emergency question. Perhaps we could have an "emergency" section and your coals must be lit and meat on.

Well I've seen help required threads in the new section and most are responded to very quickly. Seems some of us have nothing better to do than sit and check on TVWBB numerous times a day.

This site provides more info (well, usually more) than any other site I visit.

I'm referring to using your name as a "user name". Some folks refuse to (that's ok) but far more do.

Also, we usually put in a city plus state/province. Some don't and that's ok too.

BUT all you have to do is go to an online telephone directory, input the person's name and city and you'll get a selection to choose from. And if you use skype or google-phone, you can call them free.

I know. I've done it.

If you're asking a question, make sure your correct name and city with state/province is in your sig.

Only takes a minute and it won't give away any "vital info" that a searchbot can scoop. Those look for email addresses in any case for spam purposes.

Now, you might say someone can find me and steal my unit

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...271028136#7271028136

Well, I see that C Moore doesn't list his city (unless he recently deleted it) yet it was still taken (my condolences, BTW). As was said, if someone is going to steal something, I doubt they're trolling the boards looking for addresses.

OTOH, maybe they are.

In any case, it's up to you. Maybe institute a private message system where that sort of info can be exchanged. A possibility with the new system going into place here?

PS:
I love this comment:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Perhaps we could have an "emergency" section and your coals must be lit and meat on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>. Priceless
icon_biggrin.gif

Back