lighting charcoal

Enrico Brandizzi

TVWBB Honor Circle
I've started recently using charcoal w/WSM.
ANOTHER word!
The aroma, the odor in the air during the cook is complitely different (BETTER) then briquettes.
How can I say in a better way: there is NO odor in the air. Only hickory or what I like to smoke with.
Before, I could smell onother odor which was not awful, but was rilevant.
Ok.
Now the problem.
Before, using briqs, I started the fire using weber cube buried in briquettes and always started perfectly.

Like this

IMG_6610 di BBQness, su Flickr

Now, with lump charcoal the weber cubes don't work at all. Then I moved to some lit briquettes spilled over charcoal: this works well. But slowed the procedure.
Like this

IMG_6929 di BBQness, su Flickr

Any other idea????

Thanks in advance
Enrico

I would suggest a chimney , sir. works well on lump either with newspaper crumpled underneath or a lighter cube at bottom of pile.

Last edited:
Enrico;
I use KIngsford Original Briquettes. However, if I were to go to lump charcoal, I would light a partial chimney of lump and pour over top of the unlit (a Minion start with lump).

Me, I like briquettes due to their consistency. I KNOW what I am going to get.

However, we all have different wants and needs. Try the lump and let us know how it works for you, long term.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I switched to a weed burner or a propane fire starter. I bought a cheap weed burner off Northern Tool and should have known better. Didn't work worth a dang. So I found this on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008ZA0F/tvwb-20). It works great and you can use the small 2lb propane bottles. I don't need to lug my 20lb propane tank anymore. (I do use my 20lb tank to fill my 2lb bottles with a cheaper adapter and that works well too)

I used to use a chimney, but honestly found that took an extra 30 min to light the charcoal and I usually am in a rush to even cook on my WSM. So I switched to the propane and I couldn't be happier. I just hold the flame in the charcoal for about 30-45 seconds in 3 different places in the ring (form like a triangle), then add my smoke wood, and assemble the cooker. It lights right up and I never get too hot out of the gate (by lighting too many coals in the chimney).

And I do this with lump, not briqs.

Good luck,
Kg

Enrico. I've seen some of your fantastic cooks with the WSM, & I'm surprised you don't have a chimney starter. :confused:

I'm pretty sure Enrico gets the chimney. I was about to ask him for a detailed explaination of the weber cube method. Seems pretty cool. Didn't realize it wouldn't work with lump. Those are some big pieces of lump charcoal though. Seems like if they were broken down into smaller pieces at least near the cubes maybe that method would work.

Dustin. Upon reflection it does seem pretty cool to put a couple of cubes in the middle then surround/stack with unlit briqs. I'm gonna try this.

I second (third? fourth?) the chimney idea. I use newspaper (delivered free to my driveway three times a week) in the bottom and a kitchen match. This works fine for either briquettes or lump. It takes about 15 minutes but that is a small price to pay for the quality of food cooked on a charcoal fire IMO...

Regards,

John

Some brands of lump are denser than others ( and your lump looks pretty dense ) and can be a bear to light. Starter cubes should work if you place several under the corners, or the chimney with a small amount of briqs.
If that don't work, than the propane torch as mentioned would be my next choice, because if the lump is dense than it can take awhile to get going.:wsm:

Tim

Any reason one of these wouldn't work? AT $20....seems like a cheap option. I personally just use a chimney with a piece of crumpled paper.

91432ddd-b27c-4303-a874-0d1e05f3f13a_300.jpg

Set a chimney with however much charcoal you want in it on a side burner or some other source of flame for maybe a minute and in 10-20 minutes you are good to go. Some other source of flame could be crumpled newspaper or one of those starter cubes. This is the only way to go in my opinion.

I used a Weed burner from Harbor Freight which is overkill but I had and it works great. I bought on of these http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000I1QATQ/tvwb-20 to put in our toyhauler when we go camping. I use it now on my patio too instead of that weed burner

Do you use MAPP or propane?

Do you light charcoal in a chimney or in the grill?

I have something similar and i am thinking of drilling a larger hole in the base of the chimney so the torch head will fit in through the side in the lower chamber of the chimeny pointed up at the coals.

Do you use MAPP or propane?

Do you light charcoal in a chimney or in the grill?

I have something similar and i am thinking of drilling a larger hole in the base of the chimney so the torch head will fit in through the side in the lower chamber of the chimeny pointed up at the coals.

I don't use a chimney I just pour the charcoal in my kettle and light it. I use the plain green propane bottles you see everywhere.

Back