Lessons Learned from my Memorial Day Smoke

Andy-CaliCowboy

Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum I managed to successfully pull off some smoke chicken for my Memorial Day Weekend (did it on Saturday due to a busy weekend with graduation parties and what not) party.

I went hot and fast and used pieces based on both recommendations from people here and the white to dark meat ratio that was requested by guests. I unfortunately didn't think to take pictures and the meat vanished before I got yhe chance. Which is a good sign I suppose.

I had some trouble getting it above 275 for the first 30 minutes. Maybe due to the amount of meat? But the last 30 I got it to 350-400 (measured off a digital probe) by offsetting the lid a bit; which I probably should have done from the get go. So the skin wasn't as crispy as I would have liked but I apparently was the only one that noticed; ot at least the only one that said anything.

I however did notice a good amount of smoke leaking from around the thermometer. So I was wondering if any of you had a solution for that. I was thinking some silicone sealant (high heat of course) around the base would do the trick but wasn't 100% certain.

Congratulations on your first cook. And a successful one at that !
But your last paragraph has me concerned. If you are concerned about smoke "leaking" from around the lid thermometer, in what position did you have the top vent during this time ? NOTE... should have been wide open !!!

Congratulations on your first cook. And a successful one at that !
But your last paragraph has me concerned. If you are concerned about smoke "leaking" from around the lid thermometer, in what position did you have the top vent during this time ? NOTE... should have been wide open !!!
That's the weird thing, it was wide open. It wasn't like a lot of smoke coming out around the thermometer, definitely more coming out of the vent where it should have, but it was noticeable.

I'll have to check and maybe just tighten it up too, I bought mine off the floor so it was already assembled maybe that was the issue?

My WSM leaks smoke but I have never worried about it. It just factors into the air flow. The individual leaks of each WSM are part of the individuality that makes each unit smoke slightly different.
Enjoy

Don’t worry about smoke leaks. It’s largely irrelevant and for some reason, fellas choose to get their panties wrapped up about it for some unknown reason. I guess thinking totally sealed magically leads to better cooks, which is a myth.

I wouldn't be surprised if the leak becomes a non issue once you get the cooker gunked up. A gunked up cooker is a good thing. :)

That's the weird thing, it was wide open. It wasn't like a lot of smoke coming out around the thermometer, definitely more coming out of the vent where it should have, but it was noticeable.

I'll have to check and maybe just tighten it up too, I bought mine off the floor so it was already assembled maybe that was the issue?
As others have noted, it's not an issue.
Given that there have been at least one member, back before TimA became a member, that had the incorrect assumption that one was to keep top vent closed so as to keep the heat in, asking the question had some validity.

Don’t worry about smoke leaks. It’s largely irrelevant and for some reason, fellas choose to get their panties wrapped up about it for some unknown reason. I guess thinking totally sealed magically leads to better cooks, which is a myth.
Like in golf. It’s always the equipment, never the player. 😁

Have seen much in my 44 years cooking on a vertical water smoker. First cook was a turkey for Thanksgiving 1977 on a Meco smoker I had just bought new.

I wouldn't be surprised if the leak becomes a non issue once you get the cooker gunked up. A gunked up cooker is a good thing. :)
I agree with Lew. Leaks will seal themselves a lot of the time as you get that smoker seasoned. Mine will leak a bit of smoke at first, but as she warms up the leaks seem to stop.

Back