Last Saturday Cook: Turkey; wings; and, salmon

Jim Bounds

TVWBB Fan
Haven't posted in awhile and I've been traveling and gone a lot of weekends and I was itching to smoke. All four kids rolling home on Saturday so I hit the local harris teeter and picked up a 9 pound turkey breast; 2 packages of wings; and, one fresh salmon.

Breast was pre-brined or enhanced. Poked some holes in skin and dusted with turkey cajun seasoning. Fired up 22.5" WSM vents wide open, foiled pan and no water. cherry and apple wood: 1 chunk a piece. Put a empty aluminum pan underneath to catch drippings. On the WSM and let it roll up to 325. Breast took nearly 3 hours. It was a bit cold outside. Turned out moist and tender. Crispy skin. Kids went crazy on it.

I brined both packages of wings for 3 hours in water, salt and sugar. First batch did things a bit different and used corn starch in a rub w/ montreal steak and a bit of dizzy dust and lemon powder and I forget what else - just kept mixing it to taste. Cornstarch was to determine if added extra 'crispness' to the skin. Girls said it 'was best ever'. While I was cooking the cornstarch rub in some areas was not melting into skin until i did a light coat of sweet baby ray's bbq sauce. Water pan was out! Coals were hot and temps in the 350 range. Here is a late pick of what is left after the first serving.

Second batch of wings I was a more conservative and used a rub I concocted before. High heat again and the coals were flaming and really crisped them up. Girls again said 'best ever'. Must be easy to please. Here is a pic a beginning of cook:

Still running the same cook on WSM (started at NOON). I had dry brined the salmon with my bro-in-laws recipe. The salmon, along with any leftovers, were to be served on sunday for family members attending my youngest son's high school play. Drop WSM to 200-225 range and put in some cherry and apple and I put the foiled water pan back in with no water. Let it roll for around 2.5 hours. Wrapped it up and put in fridge to serve tomorrow with whipped cream cheese; bread; capers; red wine vinegar onions.

Wish I took more pictures. The next day my family destroyed the turkey, wings and salmon. All gone and the play was a success for my son! I had the WSM going for nearly 8 hours. I did accidentally drop a wing into the coals - No, I did not eat it the next day when I cleaned out the WSM. Guess you need to make a sacrifice to the 'charcoal gods' every now and then.

Last edited:
Everything looks fantastic, but that second picture with the wings in the tray, that's crazy good

Great spread, Jim!

Is it just the light, or is that a green Jumbo Joe in the first pic?

Looks like you ate well. I'm smoking a turkey breast this Thanksgiving; hope it turns out as well as yours.

Back