Large rub batch

Jeff Langer

TVWBB Fan
I am going to be cooking 16 butts this weekend and am hoping someone can either steer me to a website or give me a recipe. If I am making a couple of butts I just pour everything into a bowl and adjust until it tastes OK. Making 16 butts I will need WAY more rub!

So, does anyone have a bulk recipe for rub, or can you point me in the right direction? PLEASE?;)

Meathead's Memphis Dust recipe makes about 3 cups, which should be adequate for 6-8 butts. Note that there is no salt in it, so you'll want to salt the butts first (about 1/2 teaspoon per pound), let 'em sit an hour or so (in a cooler with ice or a fridge), then rub 'em.

What's wrong with paprika?

I must say, that KKs rub looks pretty amazing and I have everything to make a batch all the time. I'm making a load tomorrow!

Last edited:
Paprika works OK on shorter cooks but K Kruger says the flavor doesn't hold up on long cooks. I've compared paprika to Kruger's chile blends and must agree. Paprika is OK, but I usually a mixture of ancho, aleppo, cascabel, new mexico, and/or other chilies.

Yea. Paprika based rubs always taste gritty to me.
Love some Hungarian or a good Penzey's smoked Paprika on the indoor appliances.
Just not on the outdoor, when smoke is added.

Tim

Just do the 8 + 3+1+1 rub 8 parts brown sugar 3 parts Kosher salt 1 part chili powder 1 part whatever you like (can be mixed spices)

Just do the 8 + 3+1+1 rub 8 parts brown sugar 3 parts Kosher salt 1 part chili powder 1 part whatever you like (can be mixed spices)

Or something like that. The butt rub for Jane has a lot of spices and ramping it up to 16 butts could be a challenge. I'd go with something simple like Bill suggests.

I ended up using the Memphis Dust recipe and tripling it. Wife and son #2 said it was the best I have ever made so it might be my new rub.

Good news is we raised $700 for a young lady going to California for surgery.

Thanks again everyone.

Back