Ladies Smoker?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Is an 18" WSM too big for most women?

I've had to remove the stack before with a load a butts, and a drip pan with water, and that thing was pretty heavy. Any forum women out there ever try this with success? I was thinking a 14" smoker might be better for ladies.

I'm quite sure I could lift it. But maybe not as the whole thing incl (filled) water pan. But why would you want to move it? You can add charcoal and water via the door...

I would more look at the amount of people you want to cook for...
If the 14 is too small, it is not going to be used.
Having said that, if I would have a big group, I would just have more grills and smokers going.

Other thought: why don't you just ask the lady involved ;)

Money is no object, but I am concerned about her back issue. Not that I disassemble a loaded stack very often, but I have seen times when I needed to. I'm leaning towards the smaller smoker.

Wonder if Weber ever made a 16" prototype?

Why move it? Charcoal is easy enough to reload through the door.
Several reasons.

I like added charcoal to be hot, and it is difficult to add hot charcoal through the door.

Cold charcoal (even lump) gives off undesirable odors and smoke, and it can affect the flavor of the finished product from my experiences.

The lady in question had back surgery (not sure when), and I was concerned she my injure herself with an 18" model. She is not a weakling, but she has complained about her back at times.

Several reasons.

I like added charcoal to be hot, and it is difficult to add hot charcoal through the door.

Cold charcoal (even lump) gives off undesirable odors and smoke, and it can affect the flavor of the finished product from my experiences.

The lady in question had back surgery (not sure when), and I was concerned she my injure herself with an 18" model. She is not a weakling, but she has complained about her back at times.
Understood, however it's not difficult to add hot charcoal.
You can get a piece of sheet metal from a hardware store, bend it to make a chute, and add the hot charcoal thru the door. It's easy.
Some folks use a piece of aluminum downspout, cut, (or separated, at the seam), and use that as a chute to load lit charcoal thru the door.

As you know, unless they're doing really long cooks, additional fuel is seldom needed. Using a chute seems like a better,
(safer), alternative to buying a smaller smoker, for the rare occasion that she may have to add fuel.
JMHO

Several reasons.

To be honest its never been an issue for flavor for me. If you think about it the charcoal or lump all starts at different periods of time anyway during a cook. I started out waiting an hour + for the thin blue smoke then watched how Harry did it as soon as it got up to temp on goes the meat. I couldn't tell the difference so I stopped wasting time waiting. Also adding too much hot coals will spike the temps. I just don't see the benefit.

Understood, however it's not difficult to add hot charcoal.
You can get a piece of sheet metal from a hardware store, bend it to make a chute, and add the hot charcoal thru the door. It's easy.
Some folks use a piece of aluminum downspout, cut, (or separated, at the seam), and use that as a chute to load lit charcoal thru the door.

As you know, unless they're doing really long cooks, additional fuel is seldom needed. Using a chute seems like a better,
(safer), alternative to buying a smaller smoker, for the rare occasion that she may have to add fuel.
JMHO
Thanks for the chute idea. I may consider that option myself.

To be honest its never been an issue for flavor for me. If you think about it the charcoal or lump all starts at different periods of time anyway during a cook. I started out waiting an hour + for the thin blue smoke then watched how Harry did it as soon as it got up to temp on goes the meat. I couldn't tell the difference so I stopped wasting time waiting. Also adding too much hot coals will spike the temps. I just don't see the benefit.
Harry Soo and Steve Raichlen must be magicians. I've had no success adding wood chunks (hickory, for example) on top of the coals without inducing an acrid creosote odor / flavor. One tell-tale sign is watching the grill turn yellow from all the smoke. One swipe with a wet finger and you can taste the creosote.

However, one could wait for the smoke to die down before adding grill and meat. Two center-cut hickory splits placed under the coals have been my salvation, but I still have to wait for excess smoke to die down. Some woods like cherry are more forgiving though.

Harry Soo and Steve Raichlen must be magicians. I've had no success adding wood chunks (hickory, for example) on top of the coals without inducing an acrid creosote odor / flavor. One tell-tale sign is watching the grill turn yellow from all the smoke. One swipe with a wet finger and you can taste the creosote.

However, one could wait for the smoke to die down before adding grill and meat. Two center-cut hickory splits placed under the coals have been my salvation, but I still have to wait for excess smoke to die down. Some woods like cherry are more forgiving though.
I don't add wood on top, I put it in first, then add the charcoal on top. I use a #10 can in the center, and add the small end upside down of the chimney about 20 or 25 hot coals. I also use 1 pc of wood in the #10 can under the added hot coals. I use 6-8 chunks for long runs 4-6 for short. That includes the center chunk. I just pull the hot can out with channel locks, and wait for the temp to stabilize.

No need to add any more wood even for overnight runs when you add more cold charcoal in the morning. Has always worked for me. I've never experienced bitter taste adding meat as soon as it hit my desired temp.

I use the minion method for lighting and bury the wood chunks in the unlit charcoal, except for shorter cooks, like ribs.
In those instances, I'll put a couple chunks on top, just touching the lit briquettes.
Some people throw the meat on, as soon as it's lit. I usually wait for the temp to stabilize and add the food, regardless of the amount of smoke coming out. Admittedly, by that time, the smoke isn't as thick.

I've never noticed an off or creosote-like taste.

I’ve been using the “Enrico Brandizzi Sidewinder” method incorporating Harry Soo’s “Put the smoke medium on the bottom” technique, it works so well I don’t think about doing it any other way. Yes,I do sometimes need to add coal, right through the hatch with a fireplace shovel. After reading so much about the headaches of water pan maintenance and use, I simply never have even attempted it. The 18” WSM is a great unit, and with careful thought I do not think any woman unless suffering from a recently replaced shoulder or something similar (my wife has had shoulder replacement) should be pretty well able to manage it.
I’ve never needed to do much “hot squatting” simply because the WSM is designed so well, once one learns the “why and wherefore“ (thank you Messers Gilbert and Sullivan) management really doesn’t need much working attention. Learn the equipment, the use becomes much easier.

A fully loaded 18" was very cumbersome and painful for this old man's bad back Like Rick P said, I modified a length of metal ducting to fit under the water pan on my 18" and no more hot squats. If she needs more cooking space than the 14" provides, I recommend that you go the chute route.

I think you need a 14" WSM rather she uses it or not. It's just a fun little cooking machine!

I must admit, I use the 14" model about 75% of the time. I think the 18" smoker is a better unit, but it is cumbersome for small jobs.

Thanks for the input, all!

Back