Kitchen Hack - what’s yours?

I have some luthier friends so, I asked one for a “Peghead ferrule” (non bearing bushing) and my dear friend sent me a couple of them that he had leftover from his mandolin building days. It just cleaned up the hole very nicely. I’ve spent a lot of time cultivating the nice woman at the deli counter and I asked her for the two pound container when I did it. I took her the picture and she was impressed! Being nice is so easy with people like her. Ordinarily, I have a handful of them but, I was out when I wanted to get this finished!

Microplane for garlic and ginger, no more hand chopping. Fast and easy.:) I had one in the drawer for years and didn't know, I thought it was only good for zesting.
Microplaned garlic is way more potent, even spicy, than minced. That microplane creates way more cell damage than a sharp knife. I use the microplane for garlic a lot but it doesn't not do subtle. Even tiny amounts of microplaned garlic are bold. Microplaned fresh garlic in a basic Franks and butter Buffalo sauce is the best on some crispy vortexed wings.

One that just made sense today!

00835BE5-4DBB-4131-BADD-6B5614DB0765.jpeg

i used the tie for the umbrella to keep the blasted paper towels from making pretty ribbons across the yard!

Something crossed my tiny little brain while I was making dinner tonight..... and it's worthy here.

Biscuits, the baking power buttermilk variety. Folks in the southern part of the US make em' with self rising flour, lard/butter/fat and buttermilk. One of the secrets is to not overwork the dough. Overworking the dough starts forming gluten, even in a low protein flour, losing tenderness.

The hack? Don't use a hard spoon to combine the liquid with the dry. I've been using a soft spatula for years, just because it makes it easier to get the dough out of the bowl. But, because it's soft, I really can' exert much force on the dough. Tonight's biscuits were about 3/4" thick when placed on the sheet pan, and doubled in height in the oven.

I’ve known many southern belles who proclaim (they do NOT swear) that mixing by hand, no spoon, no spatula just gentle lovely hands, without rings Is the real key!

I like to keep several varieties of Better Than Bouillon on hand. When a jar gets low, almost empty, rather than try to scrape it out (or throw it away) I try to eyeball how much I think is left. If a couple teaspoons, I fill the jar half full with water, cover and shake until none is left stuck to the glass in the bottom. I'll then pour into a 2-cup measuring cup and fill to make up the difference. If not using right away, store in the fridge for 2-3 days or freeze in ice cube trays (another leftover broth trick). If only a teaspoon is left in the jar, I just fill the jar the rest of the way (it's 8 oz, 1 cup) and store it in that.

Back