Kitchen Hack - what’s yours?

I'm also a squeeze bottle fan, but for years, been frustrated with bottles that leak around the threads between bottle and nozzle cap.

Take a 1" wide strip of cling wrap, wad it up loosely so you've got a long thin rope, and wind it around the bottle threads like sealant tape. Congratulations, you now have a gasket. Picked this up from a commercial kitchen forum.

Barb and I do a weekly menu for dinners we use the freezer inventory list and try and used the oldest things in the freezer first. We verify we have what is needed and what we don't have goes on the grocery list. Really cuts down the expenses by not buying random things at the grocery store that we really don't need. Plus, we buy all our proteins on sale which saves a lot. The other thing it does is we don't have the 4:30 pm "what do you want for dinner question"
Also a big fan of the paper clamps for keeping bags closed and squeeze bottles for cooking oils.

OXO squeeze bottles on Amazon, possibly the best squeeze bottle made. These have a 2 piece top with a built in cap, the top has an outer lock ring that seals very well. You have to see it to understand the superior design.

I’ve had excellent success with these. Although the red caps break over time, I have a stash of them on hand from the selller to easily replace the broken ones.

No leaks. I cut the tips off for my homemade bbq sauces. Cheap and easy to own and are great for the 3-4 oils I use in the kitchen.

6-pack Premium Plastic Condiment Squeeze Squirt Bottles for Sauces, Paint ,Oil, Condiments ,Salad Dressings, Arts and Crafts - Food Grade-Includes Funnel, Erasable Marker and Reusable Labels (16 oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HB8RJD4/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited by a moderator:
OXO squeeze bottles on Amazon, possibly the best squeeze bottle made. These have a 2 piece top with a built in cap, the top has an outer lock ring that seals very well. You have to see it to understand the superior design.

I am not a fan of Pioneer Woman products, but I recently bought one of her squeeze bottles for this very reason - the flip top that
moves out of the way. This one tends to pop off at the hinge though. It can easily be put back, but it's kind of a hassle when using it.

I'm going to order some of these OXO bottles. They look like quality and I've always had good luck with OXO products - in fact I've
been trying to talk myself into springing for a $16 pizza cutter (4") for cutting my holiday fudge.
That just seems like a lot for a cutter, but I'll probably eventually give in. :rolleyes:
(Then, maybe I'll have a good hack to share. LOL)

Thanks for the recommendation.

Microplane for garlic and ginger, no more hand chopping. Fast and easy.:) I had one in the drawer for years and didn't know, I thought it was only good for zesting.

View attachment 58156

Mason jar hack for a blender.
Should be noted that it only works with Oster blenders...

I've been doing this for years. My brother came over once and told me about his newly-acquired "Bullet" blender, which apparently is the same concept but a lot more expensive. I pulled out a Mason jar, stuck the Oster impeller assembly on it, and said "mine does the same thing!" He wasn't nearly as amused as I was.

This isn't a hack that I actually have, though it would be simple for me to implement. My neighbor does have this in his kitchen which, like mine, is connected to his screened porch (mine is not screened). The nice touch is a small, sliding pass-thru window from kitchen to porch. Allows easy passage of items up to platter size back and forth. One of the most convenient things I've seen.

My beloved is the main reason I haven't done this. All I would have to do is remove one of two screen panels and add a small shelf outside (simple half day job) to have a 2-foot port directly out to space next to my grill. I don't know why I've gotten so much opposition to this since the other screen panel in the matching window still would remain. My reason for not making it more of an issue, is that after passing something outside or in, I still have to walk through the door 6 feet away and around a 6 foot kitchen counter extension. Since my wife is usually sitting right next to the door which she can reach to open for me, I just borrow that service. It's when she's not there that I have to handle the inconvenience of juggling things to get through.

Back