Kirkland Stainless Grill - is this a new thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am convinced that was made by Kitchen Aid for them. Jay pointed out the handles and I have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher same handle its kind of their trademark those handles. NexGrill really does not play in this higher end market and again I think its the same grill they carried last year with their name on it instead of Kitchen Aid.
Are KitchenAid grills made by Nexgrill?

You’ll find the answer is made clear on the about page of Kitchen Aid Grills’ website.

They state:

“Nexgrill Industries, Inc is licensed by Whirlpool Corporation to design, manufacture, and sell KitchenAid globally.”

I see the Member's Mark stuff in Sam's and this stuff in Costco but I keep coming back to the fact that they are both some sort of copy or an attempt to mimic the Weber. So, in my logic I'm just going to go get the grill that they are targeting. I know maybe I might save a hundred or two but personally that's not enough to keep from just buying the one they are trying to imitate. JMO

I always got the NG to light by the 3rd knob. Keeping the lid closed ensured I was able to get the grill lit; wind or no wind conditions.
I hope you are kidding keeping the lid closed when lighting I sure don't want a newbie on here to follow that practice with bad results. My Silver C had never had any problem lighting with wind and the lid open. Weber certainly makes it clear to open the lid.

I hope you are kidding keeping the lid closed when lighting I sure don't want a newbie on here to follow that practice with bad results. My Silver C had never had any problem lighting with wind and the lid open. Weber certainly makes it clear to open the lid.

nope, i was spot on. once the NG line was loaded from the house, i'd open one knob and click the instant start and it'd light.

the worst case was getting to the third knob if for some reason the other two knobs didn't spark the gas.

never had a problem lighting a weber, lid open or closed. on very windy days, i've had my NG Summit blow out. i'm talking a very windy day.

i think the issue is people open every valve at 100% and then push-start the igniter. that's a plan for natural selection. that's about as dumb as one can do. like mega dopey.

my best recco for any griller is to go to back to charcoal. it's worth the move 110%. i digress. i'll stop here.

I agree with most of these points.

A couple of years ago, I recouped my annual fee in a single transaction when I bought new tires at Costco. We save a lot when buying Costco gas at home and when travelling, it's almost always the lowest price. Using the Costco Citi credit card got me $700 back on purchases last year, including 2% on Costco purchases and 4% on Costco's already low gas prices.

But I would go so far as to say that it's fine to pay for a Costco or Sam's membership even if your level of purchases doesn't completely justify it. If you enjoy occasionally shopping at Costco for Kingsford Competition charcoal and chuck short ribs and USDA Prime briskets and don't recoup $60 in value, there's nothing wrong with that. People blow money on things far stupider than a warehouse membership!
People will go out and spend 150 or 200 bucks on one dinner and then obsess about 60 bucks, you are 100% correct!

i'd add to this to try CostcoTravel.com. we have been using them as our travel agency for a few years now and the cash back on membership, citi card and actual vacations saves us around 12% on each trip we book through them.

the money saved by buying in bulk is fine as retail, smaller sized products just seem somewhat unreasonable these days. we still have to run the dishwasher, laundry, need TP, bbq fuel, eat and drink (costco has an amazing wine selection that you can't really go wrong with).

I always use Costco travel for rental cars. I like that they give 4 agencies all on one screen to compare prices. I guess it is possible that I could get something better by wading thru Kayak or whatever but the prices always seem good and it is simple with that grid on the screen

I always use Costco travel for rental cars. I like that they give 4 agencies all on one screen to compare prices. I guess it is possible that I could get something better by wading thru Kayak or whatever but the prices always seem good and it is simple with that grid on the screen
I get an “industry “ discount from a few rental companies and CostcoTravel car rentals beats my discounts 100% of the time.

I was in Costco again a few days back and looked at this Kirkland once again. I just can't get past how flimsy it feels. The side tray, the cabinet doors, just feels like it is made with a stainless gauge that is just a bit thicker than a few sheets of aluminum foil stuck together (I know hyperbolic statement haha)

Also the burner knobs have a sort of loose feel to them and they also pull off with almost no effort at all.

The grill may perform well but for that much money it just feels cheap to me, and I would rather get a Weber Genesis even with fewer burners, or could of course get a very nice used Weber for probably less money than $900 including tax....

just my sense

I was in Costco again a few days back and looked at this Kirkland once again. I just can't get past how flimsy it feels. The side tray, the cabinet doors, just feels like it is made with a stainless gauge that is just a bit thicker than a few sheets of aluminum foil stuck together (I know hyperbolic statement haha)

Also the burner knobs have a sort of loose feel to them and they also pull off with almost no effort at all.

The grill may perform well but for that much money it just feels cheap to me, and I would rather get a Weber Genesis even with fewer burners, or could of course get a very nice used Weber for probably less money than $900 including tax....

just my sense
I would rather have a Weber myself, even given the shortcomings that many of us have noted in the later models.

Or, you could come get my fully restored Genesis 330 SE with a thicker firebox, and totally new almost everything for $725 - no sales tax, either. That will leave you some money to pick up a bunch of steaks at Costco instead:cool:. I will even throw in a Weber handle light with the kettle on the logo painted red to match!!!

I agree with most of these points.

A couple of years ago, I recouped my annual fee in a single transaction when I bought new tires at Costco. We save a lot when buying Costco gas at home and when travelling, it's almost always the lowest price. Using the Costco Citi credit card got me $700 back on purchases last year, including 2% on Costco purchases and 4% on Costco's already low gas prices.

But I would go so far as to say that it's fine to pay for a Costco or Sam's membership even if your level of purchases doesn't completely justify it. If you enjoy occasionally shopping at Costco for Kingsford Competition charcoal and chuck short ribs and USDA Prime briskets and don't recoup $60 in value, there's nothing wrong with that. People blow money on things far stupider than a warehouse membership!
This. One brisket and a box of king crab for the wife and I feel I got my money's worth.

Regarding the grill, I really like the top down broiler and twin grease pans that fit in the dishwasher. But, it weighs 80lbs less than my similar size new Genesis, which itself feels flimsier then my Genesis II. Must be some scary thin sheet metal somewhere.

Last edited:
This. One brisket and a box of king crab for the wife and I feel I got my money's worth.

Regarding the grill, I really like the top down broiler and twin grease pans that fit in the dishwasher. But, it weighs 80lbs less than my similar size new Genesis, which itself feels flimsier then my Genesis II. Must be some scary thin sheet metal somewhere.
Yeah....everyone loves Costco and justifies paying to shop with all sorts of rationalizations. Costco loves you and you are all looking forward to Costco's next membership price increase...which you can than justify as inflation, cost of living(same thing) or whatever makes you feel better about paying a fee to buy stuff.

Yeah....everyone loves Costco and justifies paying to shop with all sorts of rationalizations. Costco loves you and you are all looking forward to Costco's next membership price increase...which you can than justify as inflation, cost of living(same thing) or whatever makes you feel better about paying a fee to buy stuff.

I am reading your note to be "how foolish it is to pay a store for the privilege of shopping there" which I assume is your intent

For people who like the products there, and end up saving more money buying those products there at Costco prices than they would be able to through other sources, such that they saved more than the membership price, then I don't see the big problem. We certainly shop at other places too and it is hard to get "everything" at Costco but their product quality is generally high, and you do save some money getting products there vs at Target etc. I do understand that Costco doesn't work as well for a single person or a 2 person household, nor does it work if you end up buying a bunch of things in bulk and then throwing them away because you don't use them all up.

I have looked at that Kirkland grill in GREAT detail as I was actually considering one. Honestly don't know what you're seeing to call it "flimsy". Honestly IMO that thing is nearly as solidly built as my Wolf. If I was going to go another gasser I would grab one in a heartbeat

I have looked at that Kirkland grill in GREAT detail as I was actually considering one. Honestly don't know what you're seeing to call it "flimsy". Honestly IMO that thing is nearly as solidly built as my Wolf. If I was going to go another gasser I would grab one in a heartbeat
Larry, I wasn't calling the Kirkland flimsy. I haven't seen one in person. But, it's a lot lighter than the new Genesis that does feel flimsy in places. For example, Genesis ships with all the gas plumbing hanging off the manifold. 10ft hose, regulator, quick connect. The cookbox twisted so much with the weight, I decided to deviate from the instructions and disconnect it from the manifold for assembly rather than risk cracking.

Based on lots of features and relatively light weight, I guessed the metal must be very thin. I'll be sure to look for one next time I'm in Costco.

Larry, I wasn't calling the Kirkland flimsy. I haven't seen one in person. But, it's a lot lighter than the new Genesis that does feel flimsy in places. For example, Genesis ships with all the gas plumbing hanging off the manifold. 10ft hose, regulator, quick connect. The cookbox twisted so much with the weight, I decided to deviate from the instructions and disconnect it from the manifold for assembly rather than risk cracking.

Based on lots of features and relatively light weight, I guessed the metal must be very thin. I'll be sure to look for one next time I'm in Costco.
I didn't look as closely at the Weber as the Kirkland. But from my quick perusal (in fairness to Weber) it felt pretty solid to me. Much more solid than the new spaceship looking ones with the lopsided table sizes.
Honestly yeah, that Kirkland is a pretty solid piece. All 304 SS welded as well. Honestly for a little under $900 I am pretty impressed. Not enough to buy it (only because with my Q320 and the Wolf) I have all the gas burners I need.

I didn't look as closely at the Weber as the Kirkland. But from my quick perusal (in fairness to Weber) it felt pretty solid to me. Much more solid than the new spaceship looking ones with the lopsided table sizes.
Honestly yeah, that Kirkland is a pretty solid piece. All 304 SS welded as well. Honestly for a little under $900 I am pretty impressed. Not enough to buy it (only because with my Q320 and the Wolf) I have all the gas burners I need.

I think I was the one that called it flimsy

What I mean is, when you pull up on the side table it flexes a lot and feels really thin. The cabinet doors also feel really thin when you are opening and closing. The knobs are really loose (a bit wobbly) and also pull right off with very little force. I realize none of those directly impact the cooking, and I didn't go down to touch and feel the burners and flavorizers etc, so those might be "solid"

I think I was the one that called it flimsy

What I mean is, when you pull up on the side table it flexes a lot and feels really thin. The cabinet doors also feel really thin when you are opening and closing. The knobs are really loose (a bit wobbly) and also pull right off with very little force. I realize none of those directly impact the cooking, and I didn't go down to touch and feel the burners and flavorizers etc, so those might be "solid"
Tables are able to fold. That type will never feel as solid as ones fully bolted to the side of the grill. The one in my store had double walled doors. Same as my Wolf. Very solid (though not assembled well). Poor assembly is fault of the in store person doing it not the product. Unit you looked at may have been dropped as well. Again, in the valves I saw/felt none of what you indicated.
Comparison
(again I realize different product but same idea) I have the Member's Mark Pro Series Pellet grill. I assembled mine carefully, and all pieces installed and tightened well. If you looked at the same product on the floor of my local Sam's you would not believe they were the same product. Everything loose and flimsy. Yet, it's a VERY solid product. High quality material and honestly quite well made.
Very hard to judge something put together by a min wage employee who doesn't care, to one done by the owner who takes their time, uses good tools and does it correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back