Kingsford's flavored charcoal ....

I've been cooking onions with my rotisserie cooks and there's some benefit (imho)

As far as flavored charcoal goes... I've been buying Winco's brand charcoal ($6 for 18LBS) toss in a chunk of wood or two (usually Cherry) works for me
Chuck
,I have never heard of this brand where do you pick it up from. I have never used a onion during a cook may have to give it a shot.But i do use a wood along with any coal i am using from Oak,Hickory,Apple, and Peach. to pump up the flavor.
Kevin

I'm sorry to say, but those 'flavor briquets' look like something I scoop out of the cat's litter box. I'm passing on this one.

I'd imagine dumping some old spices into a foil pack and tossing that on the coals would do the same thing and you'd have total control over what goes into it.

Chuck
,I have never heard of this brand where do you pick it up from. I have never used a onion during a cook may have to give it a shot.But i do use a wood along with any coal i am using from Oak,Hickory,Apple, and Peach. to pump up the flavor.
Kevin
Winco is a grocery store. They brand a lot of their product and the savings are huge. A good example is their charcoal. If I had to bet, I'd bet that Kingsford makes Winco's charcoal

They also sell Pellets. A 20LBS bag is < $10

Winco is a grocery store. They brand a lot of their product and the savings are huge. A good example is their charcoal. If I had to bet, I'd bet that Kingsford makes Winco's charcoal
I've only tried one bag of Winco, a year or so ago, but at that time it was definitely Royal Oak.

The hickory is great, no more or less ash than others, trying a bag of cumin pellets they make, gave a little different flavor when I smoked a rack of ribs, I will do a steak at med-high to get a little different flavor maybe,

I'd imagine dumping some old spices into a foil pack and tossing that on the coals would do the same thing and you'd have total control over what goes into it.
exactly.
You have to wonder how/what they've used to 'flavor' the charcoal, versus, as you say, having total (and exact) control over it.
Same reason i'm not interested in flavored vodka.
Was offered a taste of bacon flavored vodka once and could NOT choke it down.

Maybe the Kingsford is trying to make "charcoal flavor" a bad thing vs gas, or designed for small apartments/profile who don't want to deal with wood chunks?

Not for me at all.

Bill - if you want to try one more vodka, see if you can find some Blue Ice Huckleberry Flavored Vodka around you. Goes well with just club soda.

Back