Kettle Vortex'd Buffalo Wings

Had another go w/ wings on the Vortex this past weekend (twice actually), and this time I shook them in a bag w/ rub and corn starch prior to putting them on the kettle. Whoa! I highly recommend this method if you want VERY crispy, nearly fried tasting, wings on the grill.

IMG-7742.jpg

IMG-7743.jpg

IMG-7744.jpg

IMG-7745.jpg

I will try the addition of some cornstarch, when I do my next batch of thighs and drumsticks!

It will really crisp them up! I put some thigh on w/ corn starch too, but I didn't care for how they turned out. Almost too crispy.

Let us know what you think!

Baking powder added to the spices will do the same thing. The nice thing about using baking powder is it doesn't change the flavor or texture.

Great looking wing!!! Approximately how much corn starch or baking Bowden are we talking about? I’ll definitely try this the next time we cook wings!
Tim

Great looking wing!!! Approximately how much corn starch or baking Bowden are we talking about? I’ll definitely try this the next time we cook wings!
Tim

Sorry for the late reply, as I see you're flawlessly already experimenting w/ the Vortex. :) I just use enough to cover the wings/thighs, and I notice no taste of anything other than the chicken and the seasonings/sauces, and I've done it a few times since posting.

Did Vortex wings again and took some pics. I thought I would add to an existing thread rather than creating new one. These were marinated for an hour or two with Country Bob's All-Purpose Sauce, Louisiana Hot Sauce, and little Weber KC BBQ Rib Rub. Then half way through, I squirted an oil and cornstarch mixture (slurry? IDK) on them (saw it on a Food Network show) to crisp them up a bit more. They got crispy and got crispy FAST! I know it goes without saying, but be careful w/ a sugary marinade and the oil and corn starch w/ The Vortex! Next time I'll use one or the other.

Pics after about 20/30 minutes on the grill:
IMG-1453.jpg IMG-1454.jpg

And these pics are after I put the mixture on them, and I took them off shortly after. They cooked for probably 45 minutes(?).
IMG-1455.jpg IMG-1456.jpg IMG-1457.jpg

I did toss the wings in some Cookie's Wings 'N' Things buffalo sauce once off the grill, but I forgot to snap a picture.

Thx for looking. ✌😎

***The grill was my bro-in-law's Kettle.

Did wings again last night on the Kettle w/ the Vortex... I really need to pick a procedure and stick with it. 🤪 They seem to turn out differently each time, but good nonetheless. Thanks for lookin'.

IMG-1763.jpg IMG-1766.jpg IMG-1768.jpg

My notes: Franks Red Hot marinade for 24hrs and then dumped on the grill, and later tossed in Franks and butter. Wings were cold out of the fridge, which I don't recommend, and the Vortex only had a full chimney (white-hot) and a dozen or so un-lit briquettes tossed on top for good measure. I think a mix of half white-hot (100% full chimney) and half un-lit to completely fill up the Vortex is the best method for getting crispy skin.

Back