Kettle rotisserie

George Santos

TVWBB Member
I have been lucky successfully making chicken on my OT kettles so far. Then I am curious about the rotisserie accessory. At 160.00 tag price, I am pondering whether is worthy to buy or not.

I will appreciate input, comments, suggestions; why you think it worth to have it, or why does not.

Thank y'all!!

I have been lucky successfully making chicken on my OT kettles so far. Then I am curious about the rotisserie accessory. At 160.00 tag price, I am pondering whether is worthy to buy or not.

I will appreciate input, comments, suggestions; why you think it worth to have it, or why does not.

Thank y'all!!

I have one and I love it, though honestly, I don't use it that often. But, I wouldn't pay full retail for one. I picked mine up on Craigslist for $60 or so shipped.

just gonna do chicken on it, George? then, forget it. not worth it.

spin ribs
[video=youtube;vURBHXvnTvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vURBHXvnTvI[/video]

spin some wings

IMG_1375.JPG

spin a hunka pork...

IMG_0296.JPG

chicken halves...

IMG_0762.JPG

bird sticks...

IMG_4867.JPG

Turkey breast...

IMG_4064.JPG

Tri Tip...

DSCN0153.JPG

and finally, pork steaks...

DSCN2473.JPG

but if you Just wanna spin bird.... ok.

IMG_1781.JPG

Thanks Jim. Impressive display. We are a small family of three, a 9lb pork shoulder picnic pulled pork last for days in the fridge. We do chicken halves, drumsticks, the ribs they come awesome without the rotisserie. Are they better using the rotisserie?

Again, thanks.

I have one, paid $100 for it new, love it, but don't use it very often, even though I keep a kettle set up with it attached.
Most foods taste better?
Probably not, but birds are really great, and the fun factor is part of the charm.

IMGP5796.JPG

IMGP5804.JPG

Best leg of lamb I have ever had I spun on a rotisserie in my Weber. Nice thing about making your own rotisserie chicken is that you can change the flavor profile rather than eating "Costco bird" all the time too. IMO its not a must have but it sure is really really nice having one!! Its easy to impress your friends with it too, watching meat turn is mesmerizing!!!

Just did a roti chicken on Labor Day. I think whole chickens come out much more moist then if set in a pan and rack. Although I do my roti work on my gasser because I don't do it to often I can't justify the cost for a few times a year on the kettle. But after seeing Jims display of roti cooks I may rethink my position. I'll have to convince Barb it's going to be an uphill battle.

Just did a roti chicken on Labor Day. I think whole chickens come out much more moist then if set in a pan and rack. Although I do my roti work on my gasser because I don't do it to often I can't justify the cost for a few times a year on the kettle. But after seeing Jims display of roti cooks I may rethink my position. I'll have to convince Barb it's going to be an uphill battle.

I am going to "hunt" for a roti out of CL. While we're a small family, who isn't in for more fun?

Another thing that turns out GREAT on the roti is Pineapple! If you haven't cooked one on the roti yet, you owe it to yourself to do one. You won't be dissapointed :cool:

I bought one at a liquidation store that was going out of business, paid $35 brand new, never opened. That's the ONLY reason I bought it.
Now that i have it, and have used it, I'd pay $160 any day, well worth it! chickens...amazing, wings in a roti basket, WOW. and this past weekend i did a chuck roast...MAN OH MAN was it good. I'm not sure what makes such a difference, maybe the drippings never have time to actually drip off, and it pretty much self bastes, but it sure turns out some good food. Pretty fool proof also. I use my charcoal baskets with a drip pan in between. with baskets half full I get 300-350 degrees for an hour or so. when I did the Chuck Roast, I put taters, carrots & onions in a clean pan underneath it...Yeah...I'll be doing that again soon. I'm glad I bought it, and I use it a LOT.

I love my rotisserie! I wouldn't want to be without it, John is correct-leg of lamb is the greatest off a rotisserie, and prime rib is also unbelievable on a rotisserie. Jim did a great job with the pics of different meats on the roti. Get a good basket- I really like my One Grill Performer Basket- and between that and the standard spit rod you can do almost any kind of meat. I virtually walk down the meat aisles since I got my roti and think to myself " I wonder how that would taste done on a rotisserie?". The thing I really like about the rotisserie is your meat self bastes so if you're busy with something you can just fire up the roti and keep doing whatever your doing and the meat pretty much takes care of itself, it gives you some built in buffer time that prevents over cooking unless you leave it on well over the normal amount of time conventional grilling takes.

Christmas Turkey in the UK - love my rotisserie!

- - - Updated - - -

double up time - chicken and pork loin with crackling

Okay you guys are killing me! I just picked up a Ducane gasser for free with a inferred roti I'm going to try for the first time today, I also have one for my Genesis 1000 which works well. I know it's not charcoal so if the Ducane doesn't work out this may be my last post. Why? Because I'm going to ask/tell Barb I want a roti for the performer and she is probably going to kill me. Wish me luck!

I sold all of my grilling gear when we moved to the islands a few years ago. Broke my heart to part with my "Weber Army" - three kettles, a WSM, and numerous accessories - including a rotisserie. I didn't know where we'd be living, how much space we'd have, how they would handle getting shipped down here, and if I would be able to store them anywhere.

Fortunately there is a Home Depot just a car ride, barge ride, and another car ride away, and my wife, seeing how "blue" I was, insisted that I at least buy a new kettle there (I've since added a used one from a friend that moved off island). I'd love to get another rotisserie, but not sure if any of the regular places will ship one down here (US Virgin Islands) and the house I currently rent has no outside power outlets. Do you know of any way I could run a rotisserie on a battery set up?

Seeing these pictures sure gives me the old "yearning"...

Do you know of any way I could run a rotisserie on a battery set up?

The Cajun Bandit rotisserie kit runs on two D batteries, with an optional AC adapter. It's the same price as the Weber unit, too. I'm strongly leaning toward getting one, but I can't decide between the 18 (for my JJ and WSM) or the 22 (for my kettle, and the Performer I'll get someday). I'd really like the option of multiple chickens or a decent-sized (12-14 lb) turkey, so I'm thinking the 22 would be best.

Back