Karma! New toy!

Steve D MI

TVWBB Member
Was driving home after picking up my daughter from school.... Saw something at the curb that caught my eye.

43dbce34fd2276b57cfe50b089db78cc.jpg

e5ff549a781262fe14c9617c03079870.jpg

I was going to buy one sometime soon anyways. The weber gods have given me good karma after a deal I had in place to buy a used wsm (smoker not gun) fell apart when the guy sold it to someone else.

Obviously never used. Flip side grill still chrome and no ash in the catcher. Just slight amount of rust on the charcoal grate.

Wow, excellent save. Just need to swap the rear handle and the lid handle with the tool hooks. Aside from that small assembly goof it looks perfect!

no idea. maybe they were cleaning the house for sale and it was a worker or something. there was also a table and some other junk with it. I couldn't believe it when I opened it up...

Nice find!! The best I've done is find a early 1990's kettle that took some scraping and polishing with 0000 steel wool to make like new. I gave my $30 2014 kettle to my son and kept the old one. No thermometer on the oldster, but it cooks the same as the new one did. Now, all you need is a new Weber cover and you're all set.

Looks brand new! I bet they knew someone would pick it up if they put it on the curb. Good thing you drove by when you did.

One time I placed an old outside chair by the curb and I kid you not it was gone in less than a minute. I put it on the curb walked back to my back yard, turned around a with the trash can and it was already gone. I figured someone would take it, but not that fast!

With my hesitant nature I would have screwed the whole deal up by knocking on the door to verify it was actually free and the homeowner would have changed his/her mind.

couldn't believe it myself. especially when I opened it up. I figured I was picking up a dirty project. I didn't know I was picking one up off the showroom floor!

I decided to go aftermarket on the cover... the last weber cover I had was a lot thinner material than the older one and cracked/tore... so there is a brand on amazon that I like and I have matching ones for my summit, landmann fire pit, WSM (though I got lucky and it came with it from an estate sale still in the box, in matching colors to my others no less!), and now kettle.

Nice pickup. As clean and new as it is, I'd almost be tempted to stop back by and talk to someone to make sure that they were getting rid of it. Can't remember whom it was, but a member here picked up a nice looking grill off the curb in his neighborhood only to later find out that the owner had placed it there while they were unloading their vehicle or something like that. They reported it as missing/taken on their neighborhood email listserv.

Just did some searching. Turns out that the post was over at the WKC, not here.

Last edited:
When I finally moved from gas to charcoal, I put the old POS gas grill out at the curb. Sure enough, within 10 minutes a neighbor asked about it and wheeled it down the street to her yard. 5 years later and it's still sitting there, never been used since.

Awesome find for you. I need neighbors like that!!

for whatever reason, my neighborhood throws out a lot of grills... I've seen quite a few older weber and non-weber gas grills for free on my neighborhood message boards.

Back