Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

I haven't found any cons. I really like these LX models. I don't see them around very often and I feel like they get mistaken for a lower model because they don't have separate seer burner station. In fact each burner has its own sear station which I feel like is great for preheating quickly. Also each burner has its own igniter built in instead of one button for all burners. Maybe it's just me I'm not sure but I feel like I can regulate the temperature much easier on this barbecue than others. The size of the Cook area inside the two burner was bigger than I anticipated. I barbecue large pizzas in the small two burner. I could fit tons of burgers and steaks on it also. To be honest I don't even use the three burner hardly ever unless I'm doing multiple pizzas or Carne Asada with separate vegetable baskets for peppers and stuff like that.

The only thing I can say is kind of finicky is the knob lights with the three size D battery reservoir. Sometimes when it's pouring down rain hard they will come on and stay on.

Honestly the 340 and the 240 work quite well. I wouldn't say that one is better than the other but I can't say that I was surprised how little I need the 3 burner now that I have the 2 burner.

I just ordered them also, flavorizer bars for one grill, the burner tubes for another grill, worked out great and I saved 15 bucks, thank you, Cody 🤙

Josh, is that keeper grill going to get used ?
I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

Congratulations on those new parts. Sounds like a hell of a deal!

I agree with you 100%. It's easy to see that these old Webers are built to last and the design is better with less compromise. I'm excited to grill on them. I couldn't believe how fast they get up to temperature. I'm excited to use my 2000 or any of my 1000s. I'm excited about these older Weber's. Yes I do like my new ones but I do know they are inferior and I would have no problem selling or donating them. I'm going to have a harder time parting with these older Weber's. Problem is how many barbecues does a guy need?

I agree with you 100%. It's easy to see that these old Webers are built to last and the design is better with less compromise. I'm excited to grill on them. I couldn't believe how fast they get up to temperature. I'm excited to use my 2000 or any of my 1000s
They are great cookers as long as all your parts are good and everything is clean. The other cool thing is that if you have worn out parts and everything is dirty and grimy, they still do a great job!

When the cook boxes get warped sometimes or bulge on the older ones is that from getting your barbecue really dirty and greasy inside and then having a grease fire? Just curious cuz that's the only con that I can find?
They are great cookers as long as all your parts are good and everything is clean. The other cool thing is that if you have worn out parts and everything is dirty and grimy, they still do a great job!

When the cook boxes get warped sometimes or bulge on the older ones is that from getting your barbecue really dirty and greasy inside and then having a grease fire? Just curious cuz that's the only con that I can find?
As good as these grills are, nothing lasts forever. I just threw away a cook box that had holes in it. I have also been able to bend a warped one back into shape and am still using it. Interesting thing about that one is that the cook box otherwise looked brand new. All the original paint was still on it and it was perfect other than the bulge where the grates would easily fall into the grill. Some of the problems are I'm sure from grease fires, but not all of them. Some of it is probably age or just how many times a particular grill has been used over the years.

As good as these grills are, nothing lasts forever. I just threw away a cook box that had holes in it. I have also been able to bend a warped one back into shape and am still using it. Interesting thing about that one is that the cook box otherwise looked brand new. All the original paint was still on it and it was perfect other than the bulge where the grates would easily fall into the grill. Some of the problems are I'm sure from grease fires, but not all of them. Some of it is probably age or just how many times a particular grill has been used over the years.
I appreciate all the knowledge and information that you share

I have a 2002ish Genesis Gold grill that has never seen sun light or rain.
It's dusty but if I dusted it off, it would look brand new.
Problem is, the front of the cookbox has the Weber bow in it, I baby that grill, have since putting it together with my then 6 year old daughter, so I'm not sure how the bow happened.

I have a 2002ish Genesis Gold grill that has never seen sun light or rain.
It's dusty but if I dusted it off, it would look brand new.
Problem is, the front of the cookbox has the Weber bow in it, I baby that grill, have since putting it together with my then 6 year old daughter, so I'm not sure how the bow happened.
It can be fixed.

I took two 3/8s bolts, 4 inches long and cut the heads off.
Layed the headless bolts in the rear of the cookbox and then RCplanbuyers grates are up agents the metal bolts so to speak.
It works, even if I didn't lay anything down in the rear, the cooking grates would not fall in to the cookbox.
I got so many other user grills, it doesn't really bother me.

It’s strange to me that the cook boxes bow out. I’m no metallurgist, but the fact that they bow outwards, a few inches above a significant bend (which is a strength point) in a casting, just above where it rests on the frame, is crazy to me. I’m guessing it’s just from engineers thinning out the thickness of the cook box. Again, just my thoughts/theories.

Honestly the 340 and the 240 work quite well. I wouldn't say that one is better than the other but I can't say that I was surprised how little I need the 3 burner now that I have the 2 burner.
Same here..... my little Spirit (2013-2016) actually taught me how to 'cook and bbq (and smoke)' where before I would just throw meat on a hot grill. Its been my workhorse for the past 8+ years --- I picked it up basically brand new with a full tank and cover Xmas Eve 2016 for free. Before that, I had a Spirit 500 that I bought new in '97 -- only grill I have EVER paid for -- that the frame rotted out on in '14 or '15 -- I had finally picked up a scrapper grill where the firebox was actually MELTED out the bottom to scavenge the frame - it sat there for a year or two before I got to it since I ran across the new Spirit. It was at that time that I realized people were GIVING AWAY really NICE grills!!! I felt compelled to build up a SilverB with all the nicest parts of the grills that I ran across --- I have only used that grill twice and that was 3+ years ago, but I keep it around 'in case' I need it --- and I like it and keep having delusions of picking up a rotti for it that I would probably use two or three times before I just go back to the kettle or WSM. The WSM is my favorite to run but is a coal hog so the kettle ends up being my goto grill nowadays with lots of killer smoke!

Same here..... my little Spirit (2013-2016) actually taught me how to 'cook and bbq (and smoke)' where before I would just throw meat on a hot grill. Its been my workhorse for the past 8+ years --- I picked it up basically brand new with a full tank and cover Xmas Eve 2016 for free. Before that, I had a Spirit 500 that I bought new in '97 -- only grill I have EVER paid for -- that the frame rotted out on in '14 or '15 -- I had finally picked up a scrapper grill where the firebox was actually MELTED out the bottom to scavenge the frame - it sat there for a year or two before I got to it since I ran across the new Spirit. It was at that time that I realized people were GIVING AWAY really NICE grills!!! I felt compelled to build up a SilverB with all the nicest parts of the grills that I ran across --- I have only used that grill twice and that was 3+ years ago, but I keep it around 'in case' I need it --- and I like it and keep having delusions of picking up a rotti for it that I would probably use two or three times before I just go back to the kettle or WSM. The WSM is my favorite to run but is a coal hog so the kettle ends up being my goto grill nowadays with lots of killer smoke!
Thank you for sharing!! I come across people frequently that either love the old stuff and hate the new stuff of hate the old stuff and love the new stuff. Or charcoal vs gas same thing. I really like all types of Weber grills but some more than others and for different reasons. I'd really like to give charcoal a go at some point. Not as a replacement but an alternative for different options. I can totally respect anyone preference and it's nice to hear what other people like and why they like it. It's fun to try different models and keep an open mind.

My life changing epiphany was when I traded into a WSM18 in early '20.... I never knew how good smoked meat was --- and how easy it was to make --- once you go thru the learning curve. Now its all about the SMOKE..... there isn't much that I eat that isn't smoked. I picked up a smoke tube to use in the WSM, but it never worked worth a damn - it kept getting snuffed out - so I started using it on my 2 burner with really good results and I proceeded to round up all the different (single) wood flavors to try/test/mix. Then I ran into a kettle - 2nd gen Performa w/gas start - for free (with a hose adaptor and a FULL 20#er) that I thought would be an easy flip..... Now that kettle is my goto 85%+ of the time. I wish I would have learned how to smoke 15-20 years ago.....

You need to get into the smoke game.... its easy and I'll help make the learning curve really easy for you! Get you started out with a tube on the gassers until you find yourself a nice kettle.... then you can decide whether to go WSM or pellet smoker.

Back