Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

Josh Dekubber

TVWBB Fan
I'm new here. I've been doing teardown rebuilds of newer Weber barbecues Genesis and Summit for a while now. I'm excited now to start working on some of the older stuff. I picked up two so far and I have my eye on a couple more. This Genesis 2000 is like a Time capsule. I haven't cleaned it yet. I just got it from someone who had it in storage for many years. Other than the dirt and dust it looks to be in perfect condition with very little use. Even though everything in the cook box looks to be in great condition I ordered new burners from Weber and 9mm 304 stainless grates from QuliMetal and new stainless flavorizer bars from RC. The bbq is an excellent condition I just need to clean it. I kind of want to sand down the slats and stain them a more desirable color than the orangish finish from the factory but I might just leave it and keep this one period Correct because it is in such immaculate condition. Maybe I'll play around with the stain on the slats and types of wood on my other upcoming rebuilds. Maybe on the Genesis 1000 behind on the right.
I'm excited to be here and talk to some knowledgeable experts.20240609_171059~2.jpg
I need to work on getting it cleaned up before the new parts get here. I got a new propane line installed today because the old one had an obsolete connection. Fired right up and got up to temperature very quickly.

I'm new here. I've been doing teardown rebuilds of newer Weber barbecues Genesis and Summit for a while now. I'm excited now to start working on some of the older stuff. I picked up two so far and I have my eye on a couple more. This Genesis 2000 is like a Time capsule. I haven't cleaned it yet. I just got it from someone who had it in storage for many years. Other than the dirt and dust it looks to be in perfect condition with very little use. Even though everything in the cook box looks to be in great condition I ordered new burners from Weber and 9mm 304 stainless grates from QuliMetal and new stainless flavorizer bars from RC. The bbq is an excellent condition I just need to clean it. I kind of want to sand down the slats and stain them a more desirable color than the orangish finish from the factory but I might just leave it and keep this one period Correct because it is in such immaculate condition. Maybe I'll play around with the stain on the slats and types of wood on my other upcoming rebuilds. Maybe on the Genesis 1000 behind on the right.
I'm excited to be here and talk to some knowledgeable experts.View attachment 93092
I need to work on getting it cleaned up before the new parts get here. I got a new propane line installed today because the old one had an obsolete connection. Fired right up and got up to temperature very quickly.

Nice score on that 2000. What did you end up paying for it if you dont mind sharing ?

I didn't see that one hit the Seattle CL...... how'd I miss that one?
Good score!

Reconsider replacing the burners if they are in fact original ---- you probably have the 'double sided' center burner that I have not seen replacements for..... others would know if they actually are still available.

That is a helluva find there!
Thank you! I'm excited
Good score!

Reconsider replacing the burners if they are in fact original ---- you probably have the 'double sided' center burner that I have not seen replacements for..... others would know if they actually are still available.
Thank you!
I ordered new burners today directly from Weber. Curious do you think the old ones are better than the new? Both made by Weber? Maybe I'll just keep the new pair on standby for spares.

That is a helluva find there!
Thank you! I'm excited
Good score!

Thank you!
I ordered new burners today directly from Weber. Curious do you think the old ones are better than the new? Both made by Weber? Maybe I'll just keep the new pair on standby for spares
Heck of a find! Welcome to the forum.
Thank you! Happy to be here

Thank you! I'm excited

Thank you!
I ordered new burners today directly from Weber. Curious do you think the old ones are better than the new? Both made by Weber? Maybe I'll just keep the new pair on standby for spares.
Those grills came with a center burner that had two rows of slits run, one down each side - aftermarket replacements are one row down the center --- I'm not sure what real Weber ones will be...... but let us know. I'm betting that weber is just running with the B/C tubes in the 1000-3000 and just swapping out the 1" longer crossover tube..... (I would have to guess they know to do that)

My neighbor still has the originals in his 1000...... thats the only reason I know about them.

Those grills came with a center burner that had two rows of slits run, one down each side - aftermarket replacements are one row down the center --- I'm not sure what real Weber ones will be...... but let us know.

My neighbor still has the originals in his 1000...... thats the only reason I know about them.
Let me check my 2000 and my 1000 to see what burners are inside them. I'll get back to you and let you know. Thank you for your input I really appreciate it. Everybody here seems nice and helpful.

Those grills came with a center burner that had two rows of slits run, one down each side - aftermarket replacements are one row down the center --- I'm not sure what real Weber ones will be...... but let us know. I'm betting that weber is just running with the B/C tubes in the 1000-3000 and just swapping out the 1" longer crossover tube..... (I would have to guess they know to do that)

You're absolutely right. I just checked both my 1000 and my 2000 both of them have slits down both sides of the center burner. I just checked on Weber's site and the burners I ordered for it have just the slits on the top in the picture. We'll see if that's what I receive but most likely it will be. Just another reason to pick up some more donor grills. I've got my eye on a few.

Last edited:
Honestly if the burners are sound, use the originals. They'll be far better quality (even compared to new OEM). Thicker, better quality steel as well. Clean them up and stay with them

There is something 'magical' about those old school burner tubes..... if they are still solid and functional --- run them! Crossover tubes are the problem.... Other will chime in where to find the right one.

LM beat me by 3 seconds....

There is something 'magical' about those old school burner tubes..... if they are still solid and functional --- run them! Crossover tubes are the problem.... Other will chime in where to find the right one.

LM beat me by 3 seconds....
Thank you so much I really appreciate it!!

Back