Just My New Grill Space

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
I enjoy seeing some of the setups and environments folks here have for their grilling/smoking, so wanted to share my new space. We moved from 10.6 acres in the woods with 2600 sq feet of deck/porch (my space was on a large covered porch) to a townhouse 8 miles away with 0.6 acres and 588 sq feet of patio/gravel "yard". In some ways I miss my old space, but have worked hard to make this new area comfortable for grilling/smoking. Got the last of the updates done last Saturday. Pics below.

Part of what we did was to update doors to the rear area including changing a large window in the kitchen to a door into the 8'x11' "utility" courtyard. The back area also has a 10'x15' brick patio outside a sunroom with a pathway over to the courtyard. That path was almost blocked by a huge access door (which I reduced by 1/3) to the crawlspace entry -- that's the sloped panel shown in the pics. All the back area except patio and path were basically mud and a strip of grass when we moved in. We have extended the brick around the crawlspace door, somewhat leveled and graveled over the mud and grass so that the whole yard is now fenced with brick or gravel. [I've had lots of fun with the HOA and have gained a bit of a "reputation". They liked and finally have approved (some after the fact) what I've done, but objected to almost everything on "principal" (rules).]

These first pics show the courtyard -- first from the new kitchen door out then back from the pathway in front of the grill.
From Kitchen Door.jpgCourtyard.jpg

I just completed a refinishing of the black walnut grill cabinet which faces the grill. You can see it on posts at the house end of the privacy fence we installed. This cabinet hung on the wall of the porch in a similar position in the grill deck of our previous house. I can simply turn from the grill to access accessories/supplies that won't fit within the grill cabinets. I made the cabinet for my grill space about 12 years ago using all wood joinery, no hardware except hinges. You may be able to see the through tenons on the sides. Sliding dovetails hold partition and shelving together. The roof is walnut "shingles". Because it's no longer covered, I decided to add a plexiglas cover to the roof -- working well. This is all on the south side of the house, so lots of weathering going on here. A/C is on one side of the courtyard, utility entries are behind the storage box. We keep Sheila's Q beside my Genesis to stay away from house walls.
Grill Cabinet.jpg

When open, the umbrella shades the entire grill (it's HOT here in summer) and my seat/work area as well as allowing me to grill and smoke in rainy weather. So about 200 sq feet of our space is mostly committed to the grill area shown here.
Grill Area.jpg

From my seat at the grill, I look along the larger part of the back yard to the patio. On the right from there is a small potted garden we brought from our previous home. (I almost wrote "pot garden", but that would be very illegal in conservative, short-sighted NC).
Patio.jpg

Looking back from the patio, you see the grill area and "garden" on the left.
Garden.jpg

While we live in a townhouse community of 200+ units within the larger Fearrington Village complex (2100+ homes), you can see the our back area is well sheltered by surrounding shrubs and trees. What we see back here is mostly green with very little visibility to/from other homes. Coming from 30 years in an old forest environment, this was a special find for us. Even with the small space, I'm quite content, happy and private for grilling and relaxation. I'm sitting on the patio writing this. 85* now at 11:00am heading for 93* later on. Hot spell coming -- makes it nice to have a fan that can be pointed in the direction I'm sitting...

This pic gives an idea of the space around the patio.
Patio Surrounding.jpg

Looks wonderful but I gotta say if I had 10 acres ANYWHERE only way I would be leaving is DOA

I felt exactly the same way, Larry, but age and infirmity have their effects. 10 acres with smaller fenced yard and house makes for a LOT of maintenance -- especially out in the woods. When my back almost incapacitated me, I couldn't do it any more. After 3 years of paying for help on a small part of it, when we found this place with HOA maintenance fees less than I was paying for upkeep and all main living on the first floor (rather than 3), I finally agreed it was time to accede to my wife who had been looking for a new home for 10 years. We missed one or two that might have been good and pounced on this one when it came up. Good deal and, as noted, fits us well. Even the dogs are happy here! :p And frankly I have to add that moving from 20 miles (30 minutes) to anywhere to convenience just down the road a bit has been really nice. And believe it or not, it's actually quieter here and darker at night than where we were. THAT was shocking!

In the winter, there are two single family homes visible through the trees in that last shot. But still not at all intrusive. When we first saw this place, I honestly didn't even see them. That's how they built these townhomes back on the '80s. And with the firewall between units here, my neighbor can't hear Independence Day or Dune in my LR home theater. And we can't hear their renovations. Just luck -- we didn't know that when we moved in.

Great setup looks really laid out nice.
Barb and I did the same thing about six years ago. We had a 2600sq ft home, two level with a 1000 sq ft enclosed storage area underneath the house which I converted into a shop.
With a very large lot. It just became too much to manage.
We now have a 1600 sq ft patio home with a 20 X 60 backyard for the pups. I'm sure glad we did it with our health problems it's all that we can manage now as projects are a thing of the past.

That looks great. Good job. One thing I failed to expect was how debilitating old age can be. We now have a lawn guy and a cleaning lady that does the deep clean every 3 weeks. I have one BBQ cooker and it rolls in and out of the garage easily. We adjust.

Great setup looks really laid out nice.
Barb and I did the same thing about six years ago. We had a 2600sq ft home, two level with a 1000 sq ft enclosed storage area underneath the house which I converted into a shop.
With a very large lot. It just became too much to manage.
We now have a 1600 sq ft patio home with a 20 X 60 backyard for the pups. I'm sure glad we did it with our health problems it's all that we can manage now as projects are a thing of the past.
You hit that one on the mark, Rich. What i want to worry about is whether to smoke those ribs soon or wait a bit. That cabinet refinish was a two week (retirement effort) job. Also cleaned up a sundial, which was my first significant carving, to hang in our sunroom. The followup sundial from a few years ago has turned into a PIA to refinish for our "garden", but just a little effort most days is just fine with me.

That looks great. Good job. One thing I failed to expect was how debilitating old age can be. We now have a lawn guy and a cleaning lady that does the deep clean every 3 weeks. I have one BBQ cooker and it rolls in and out of the garage easily. We adjust.
I agree -- I knew I would get older but failed to understand what it meant. "We adjust." Good asseřtion.

I enjoy seeing some of the setups and environments folks here have for their grilling/smoking, so wanted to share my new space. We moved from 10.6 acres in the woods with 2600 sq feet of deck/porch (my space was on a large covered porch) to a townhouse 8 miles away with 0.6 acres and 588 sq feet of patio/gravel "yard". In some ways I miss my old space, but have worked hard to make this new area comfortable for grilling/smoking. Got the last of the updates done last Saturday. Pics below.

Part of what we did was to update doors to the rear area including changing a large window in the kitchen to a door into the 8'x11' "utility" courtyard. The back area also has a 10'x15' brick patio outside a sunroom with a pathway over to the courtyard. That path was almost blocked by a huge access door (which I reduced by 1/3) to the crawlspace entry -- that's the sloped panel shown in the pics. All the back area except patio and path were basically mud and a strip of grass when we moved in. We have extended the brick around the crawlspace door, somewhat leveled and graveled over the mud and grass so that the whole yard is now fenced with brick or gravel. [I've had lots of fun with the HOA and have gained a bit of a "reputation". They liked and finally have approved (some after the fact) what I've done, but objected to almost everything on "principal" (rules).]

These first pics show the courtyard -- first from the new kitchen door out then back from the pathway in front of the grill.
View attachment 76869View attachment 76870

I just completed a refinishing of the black walnut grill cabinet which faces the grill. You can see it on posts at the house end of the privacy fence we installed. This cabinet hung on the wall of the porch in a similar position in the grill deck of our previous house. I can simply turn from the grill to access accessories/supplies that won't fit within the grill cabinets. I made the cabinet for my grill space about 12 years ago using all wood joinery, no hardware except hinges. You may be able to see the through tenons on the sides. Sliding dovetails hold partition and shelving together. The roof is walnut "shingles". Because it's no longer covered, I decided to add a plexiglas cover to the roof -- working well. This is all on the south side of the house, so lots of weathering going on here. A/C is on one side of the courtyard, utility entries are behind the storage box. We keep Sheila's Q beside my Genesis to stay away from house walls.
View attachment 76874

When open, the umbrella shades the entire grill (it's HOT here in summer) and my seat/work area as well as allowing me to grill and smoke in rainy weather. So about 200 sq feet of our space is mostly committed to the grill area shown here.
View attachment 76875

From my seat at the grill, I look along the larger part of the back yard to the patio. On the right from there is a small potted garden we brought from our previous home. (I almost wrote "pot garden", but that would be very illegal in conservative, short-sighted NC).
View attachment 76877

Looking back from the patio, you see the grill area and "garden" on the left.
View attachment 76876

While we live in a townhouse community of 200+ units within the larger Fearrington Village complex (2100+ homes), you can see the our back area is well sheltered by surrounding shrubs and trees. What we see back here is mostly green with very little visibility to/from other homes. Coming from 30 years in an old forest environment, this was a special find for us. Even with the small space, I'm quite content, happy and private for grilling and relaxation. I'm sitting on the patio writing this. 85* now at 11:00am heading for 93* later on. Hot spell coming -- makes it nice to have a fan that can be pointed in the direction I'm sitting...

This pic gives an idea of the space around the patio.
View attachment 76878
Looks really nice Rich. Now it's time to relax and enjoy. You earned it.

The thing with old age and health issues is you have good days and bad days and days that are even worse. Sometimes I get the urge to go out in the garage and get some things done that need to get done. Of course, the garage is hotter than... well you know what. So, I go to the garage frig and get a cold one to help keep me cool and go to my workbench to get things set up. Now I've been in the garage for about 15 minuets and my brain says to me, why are you out here sweating your butt off when you could be in the air conditioned house sitting at your computer reading what everyone on the TVWBB is doing.
Oh well the things that have to get done can wait another day.

Last edited:
Yeah, I face the same thing in my garage/workshop, but with humidity. I keep a 20" fan running when I'm out there -- helps some if I'm doing light work (Ido a lot of hand sanding on carvings) and helps blow the saw dust away from my lungs. No fun sweating in a hot garage with a dust mask on... Regardless, summer isn't the best time for garage work. I haven't been here in winter (at least when the garage wasn't full after moving) so I don't know how well my one element (of two) oil heater will work with no insulation on the walls and ceiling. But the garage is supplied by the HOA, so I'm not complaining at all!

Good days, bad days and some worse -- you got that right. Some days just resting to recover from whatever it is that exhausted me the day before when I don't remember doing anything difficult! Not for sissies! And yeah, the best thing about retirement is that the deadlines are mostly imaginary and very adjustable.

Back