Just a couple of cheap $1lb butts...

That PP looks great! Up here in Canada the cheapest I've been able to find it is 2.79/lb. If I could find it for a buck a pound I'd have to go buy a new freezer first

great looking pork dave! did you say it took over 15 hours?

Fifteen hours and fifteen minutes for both butts, and they were fairly identical in thickness and size, at least when putting on the grate. Both were deemed done by poking a bit with my pen and the bone was loose, meat was jiggly. If I recall, the internal temp was about 190*, and both were very moist.

I just felt like doing a long overnight cook and was stretching it out since I was cooking for supper. My gauge read about 200* when I went to bed and when I got up, and I kept it low all day, avg. no higher than 215* or so.

Thanks...Dave! :)

Excellent lookin pulled pork! You mentioned something about missing the injected flavor. Why not add some rub & a small bit of liquid after it's pulled? I've done pulled recipes before.....I have been known to add some warm water or adult beverage just before I start to break down the meat. Once the liquid percolates through, it picks up a good amount of goodness from that. I'll add a small bit of rub over the whole mass of meat, then mix it all up with my hands.

Looks Absolutely PERFECT Dave!
and I don't complain about the price of pork anymore... after seeing AND tasting how it turns out, better than 10dollar steaks!

Excellent lookin pulled pork! You mentioned something about missing the injected flavor. Why not add some rub & a small bit of liquid after it's pulled? I've done pulled recipes before.....I have been known to add some warm water or adult beverage just before I start to break down the meat. Once the liquid percolates through, it picks up a good amount of goodness from that. I'll add a small bit of rub over the whole mass of meat, then mix it all up with my hands.

Next time if not injecting I'm going to hit 'em with more rub and a little salt when I first start pulling. That way I'll be mixing seasoning in at the same time, since I don't like to mess with the meat any more than absolutely necessary. I've tried AJ, watered down Carolina dips, etc, but most just seem to either dilute or sauce it, and my folks don't want much vinegar at all in the pork. Injections add flavor without doing any of that, so ????

Back