Just a couple of cheap $1lb butts...

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
...that I couldn't resist at that price. On at midnight with Kingsford Comp after waiting an hour for TBS, with six chunks of shagbark hickory for additional smoke. :eek: Gauge was at about 200*when I finally hit the sack sometime after one yesterday morning. Got up at almost six and going by the butts, charcoal, and water, I wasn't surprised that the gauge was back at 200*. (I didn't use the Maverick to monitor temp any overnight.)

Almost done!

Done in 15:15

After letting them lose some steam for about 15 minutes, I covered and put in a large "cooler bag" that we use to keep stuff cold in. An hour and a half later it was time to pull for supper.

Mashed butts and ready for the claws

Not hardly any fat left or tough bark when you go low-n-slow. ;)

Where's the buns?

These were as moist as any I've ever smoked, so I wasn't thinking about adding anything for moisture. However, I did miss the injection, so the goal is to somehow come up with something that adds some of the same flavors post cook in a finishing sauce.
Thanks for checking out my little butt cook...Ya'll have a good 'un!
Dave

A dollar a pound???...never see that kind of pricing around here. Nice and moist for sure Dave. They look great.
Did you use water for your overnight cook?

Fine looking pulled pork Dave!
Butts go on sale here several times a year for a buck per lb., whole or sliced into pork steaks.

Nice and moist for sure Dave. They look great.
Did you use water for your overnight cook?

Thanks, they were might fine, but like I said, I did miss the injection flavors, But on the water, I wouldn't have gotten as much sleep and have been able to stretch the cook out as long, otherwise. However, If I knew an ATC would keep my temps as even across the grate as water does, I'd get one.

Thanks for all the compliments, folks! And any of y'all are welcome over any time. I usually have one or two gallon ziplock bags of pretty good BBQ in the fridge and we could make some nachos! =-)

Great looking PP, Dave! Wish I could find butts for a buck a pound here! The cheapest I've ever seen them here is $1.49/lb. and they're usually $1.79/lb. I think I'm gonna do another butt cook for smoke day.

Great pics. Was it a local store or chain where you found that deal? I am curious if I can find that here.

Thanks, guys. For some reason that I'm not going to complain about, pork prices seem to be down a good bit.

They were both about 8lbs and I actually started by buying only one at our neighborhood Al's Foodland since I'd just cooked a whole case. Well, it was fresh and cryoed, so when our local Save-a-lot put them on sale for the same price last week, I figured that since I've never smoked just one lonely butt, why start now?

Thanks for all the compliments, folks! And any of y'all are welcome over any time. I usually have one or two gallon ziplock bags of pretty good BBQ in the fridge and we could make some nachos! =-)

Not that Tennessee is anywhere close to me...but directions please, Thankya.

Back