June 14 National Bourbon Day

NATIONAL BOURBON DAY – June 14​

NATIONAL BOURBON DAY – June 14

NATIONAL BOURBON DAY

On June 14th, National Bourbon Day recognizes the Official Spirit of America.
Like Scotch, Cognac, and some other spirits, Bourbon must meet certain standards and be produced in a specific geographical region to earn its name. Bourbon is a whiskey that can only be called by the word when it is distilled in the United States. For a distiller to legally label their whiskey as “Bourbon,” they must meet specific criteria.
  • The whiskey must be 51 percent corn.
  • The distiller must story the whiskey in new (not aged) charred-oak barrels,
  • They also must distill the whiskey at no more than 160 proof.
  • Finally, distillers must ensure the Bourbon is barreled at 125 proof.
This particular whiskey derives its name from the Kentucky county of the same name. Early settlers established the county in 1785 and were large producers of corn. Back then, once they distilled the corn, they put it in barrels stamped “Old Bourbon,” and shipped them down the Ohio River.
In 1964, a Congressional Resolution designated Bourbon as America’s native spirit. Since then, nowhere else in the world can make a whiskey and call it Bourbon.
Bourbon’s deep roots start with the immigrants who would homestead in Kentucky. With an abundance of corn, these pioneers set their stills to work, producing a whiskey that lives on today. They also put their own stamp on the quality and flavors into their whiskey. From the oak barrels to the rich soils, Bourbon’s character continues to grow throughout the years.

Woot!

Edit: I think that I'm gonna have to dig deep..... maybe some Ezra Brooks, Eagle Rare, or something on that order.

Last edited:
This particular whiskey derives its name from the Kentucky county of the same name.

A little more detail.

"Old Bourbon" County was originally the western region of Virginia (but different than West Virginia). So you could argue that bourbon was invented in VA.

The Old Bourbon region consisted of 34 out of KY's current 120 counties. Today's Bourbon County, KY is just one of those 34. Old Bourbon was carved out of VA and became eastern Kentucky when the new Commonwealth of Kentucky was admitted to the Union.

Ironically, most of the big bourbon producers in KY are located in central and western KY. So they are outside of the original Old Bourbon region of eastern KY.

Woot!

Edit: I think that I'm gonna have to dig deep..... maybe some Ezra Brooks, Eagle Rare, or something on that order.
Some Basil Hayden's. We have an unopened bottle of Double Oaked from Noble Oak that we're saving for a whiskey tasting party to come around again.

Time to hit the stash of the good stuff::
View attachment 30351
That's a NICE stash, @Jeff Boudman !! I just poured myself some Blanton's (harder to find than hen's teeth these days....without paying through the nose!) I'd love a pour of any of your EH Taylor! Haven't been able to find any of the small batch for quite some time (used to be readily available locally for $40. I also lit an Oliva Master Blend as well to enjoy some football (non-American) and a nice NorCal evening. :)

1623722137965.jpeg

Enjoy!

R

Nice!! Haven't seen Blanton's in a couple of years and I refuse to pay twice retail. Even Colonel Taylor is becoming harder to find.
Every now and then I luck into an allocated bottle. We have state stores here so that isn’t often. Upside of state stores is that everything sells at MSRP.
There so much good bourbon available now that there’s always good stuff on the shelves.

Every now and then I luck into an allocated bottle. We have state stores here so that isn’t often. Upside of state stores is that everything sells at MSRP.
There so much good bourbon available now that there’s always good stuff on the shelves.
Agreed. There is a lot of great whiskey out there, and reasonably priced too.
I've never understood why Blanton's became so hard to find. It's good, but not great, to my palate anyway. I was gifted a bottle, and it lasted us for years. Some of the Booker's releases were really good, (but a couple were hot messes). I quit buying it a few years ago when Beam jacked the price way up.
If you like barrel proof whiskey, the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel proof is an excellent choice and reasonably priced.

Agreed. There is a lot of great whiskey out there, and reasonably priced too.
I've never understood why Blanton's became so hard to find. It's good, but not great, to my palate anyway. I was gifted a bottle, and it lasted us for years. Some of the Booker's releases were really good, (but a couple were hot messes). I quit buying it a few years ago when Beam jacked the price way up.
If you like barrel proof whiskey, the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel proof is an excellent choice and reasonably priced.
If Blanton’s was on the shelves I’d buy it and drink it. The bottles in my stash are for my son’s FIL, as he really likes it. I give him a bottle when I visit. Surprisingly, Blanton’s wins every blind taste test it is in.
I do like Booker’s. Some batches are outstanding.
I mostly buy Knob Creek. I don’t think you can beat the Single Barrel Reserve at 120 proof.

If Blanton’s was on the shelves I’d buy it and drink it. The bottles in my stash are for my son’s FIL, as he really likes it. I give him a bottle when I visit. Surprisingly, Blanton’s wins every blind taste test it is in.
I do like Booker’s. Some batches are outstanding.
I mostly buy Knob Creek. I don’t think you can beat the Single Barrel Reserve at 120 proof.
Agreed on the Booker's....I just hate to pay $90.00, or more, for something that may be exceptional, without trying it first.
I can snag a bottle of JD Single Barrel Barrel proof for less, (or 3 bottle of Old Grandad 114 ;))
Knob Creek is a staple on our bar and I haven't had one that I don't like.
Cheers!!

Back