July 22 Saturday Brisket

Sucks it didnt turn out as good as you would have liked, but it looks really good. Thanks for sharing the updates. This helps me out for tomorrow. I'm thinking the 9 hours for the 6 pounder might not be as excessive as I first thought. I'll let ya know how mine turns out, and maybe post a pic or two if I can figure out how to do that.

Sucks it didnt turn out as good as you would have liked, but it looks really good. Thanks for sharing the updates. This helps me out for tomorrow. I'm thinking the 9 hours for the 6 pounder might not be as excessive as I first thought. I'll let ya know how mine turns out, and maybe post a pic or two if I can figure out how to do that.

Good luck - I'm thinking for the time allotted a higher temp would have been better.

Keep us posted. Happy smoking.

FYI followup.

12.5 hours after pouring coals, my WSM is at 210F with the Weber briquettes (see first post for how much I loaded).

All vents 100 open.

That is WAY longer from any KBB I've gotten.

9pm on the West Coast, 13 hrs after pouring coals - temp on the WSM is 214.

I cracked the door for more airflow to see if there was still 'life' in the coals - yup, got a little rise.

But, I'm whacked - been up since 5am. So I'm done. Gonna let the coals die out.

If you all have any other tips or advice, it will be graciously accepted and appreciated. Lots to learn for brisket - hardest cut to get right.

Goodnight!

Sorry to hear you were not happy with the results. It was really beneficial that you documented your process, I'm sure many of us learned a few things from your experience. One thing that I learned early on with long cooks is if you think it will take x number of hours add a few more to it. You can't rush a long cook but most of the time you can keep it warm and rested if it gets done early.
Again thanks for sharing.

Your brisket looks pretty damn good from here.

Sometimes we are our own worst critics. Give yourself a break & accept the praise from the choir.

Your brisket looks pretty damn good from here.

Sometimes we are our own worst critics. Give yourself a break & accept the praise from the choir.

But my plan for world domination via brisket was 'foiled'...again (bad pun intended).

It seems straightforward enough, but difficult! I appreciate the positive vibe. I'm more determined now to just keep at it.

That Brisket looks awesome. Sometimes we have are problems and the cook doesn't go like we want it to. We just have to learn from our mistakes and keep trying, it will come together for sure.

Back