July 2 WSM Smoked Tri-tip

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
3.6lb Choice Tri-tip

Trimmed, rubbed with canola oil and dusted with my concoction of spices and black pepper

Smoked on the WSM with 1 chunk each of post oak and pecan.

1 hour at 225F to get to an internal temp of 115F. Then, I broke down the WSM to be a grill with the grate right over the coals to get a sear on, flipping every 2 minutes until I got to an internal temp of 128F before pulling to let rest. Final temp at slicing was 132F.

Served with twice baked potatoes, grilled green beans, cornbread stuffing with gravy, and butter toasted sourdough bread.

tri-tip-sliced-7-2-20.jpg
tri-tip-plated-7-2-20.jpg

Overall - prominent smoke for 1 1/2 hours of cook time, good beef to seasoning balance, right temp to color for how the family likes beef. But a tad tough and chewy.

Scratching my head on that one.

Last edited:
Looks darn near perfect, as Kevin said. 132 is exactly where I like mine. Only thing I can think of is that maybe your angle of slicing was a little off. Either way, I'm sure I'd have enjoyed chowing down on that.

Erik, that looks great, and a great way to treat a tri-tip with the smoke then sear technique. I'm with Jim, the only thing I can see is angle of slice could be more perpendicular to the grain......I always cut my tri tips in half right between the two grains that don't quite run the same direction. Then I do the thin bias slice against the grain for each piece.

Oh, and I'd be right behind Jim in line for seconds! :) Taters look perfect!

R

Thanks again for the tips - I'm going to go for the more exact cross cut grain slicing for the leftover half and see if that does the trick.

Back