Joining the fun

Derrick H

TVWBB Fan
I ordered my SmokeFire EX4 today. We got an unexpected bonus at work and instead of saving all of it for a rainy day, I put a portion towards a new grill. The fact that people here are alot more positive about it than at launch and this is the gen 2 with all the upgrades made me take the plunge. It should be here a few days after Christmas, so I am looking forward to it.

I bought a few bags of pellets at Lowe's while on clearance and I bought a cover that was on clearance as well, for $14.

Congrats!
If I wasn't planning on winning the EX4 with the TVWBB drawing, I'd be tempted by the $200 off as well as 12 month interest free financing with an Amazon credit card.
It's been a long time since I've bought anything "on time" as us old folks used to call it.

They say timing is everything. Worked out well for you. Barb and I just came back from Lowes with three bags of Weber Hickory they had on clearance for $8.49 a bag. Had four EX4s on display and two EX6s, imagine that.
Looks like the might be turning that disaster start around, sure hope so.

I went over to the local one here-no clearance on Weber pellets, just Kingsford. They also had 2 EX4's on display, but they were older ones and updates hadn't been done.

I went over to the local one here-no clearance on Weber pellets, just Kingsford. They also had 2 EX4's on display, but they were older ones and updates hadn't been done.
They must be discontinuing them like they did the Weber Charcoal, probably my guess they will be special order down the road. I live in ATL same price as Rich stated. My local Lowes 2 ex4's 2 ex6's but those are display models not the new ones with the fixes this was as a few weeks ago need to go in there tomorrow for some other stuff see what they have left.

Edit: No question they are discontinued if you look at the link I posted says delivery available at the regular price but anyone needing pellets in Woodstock load them up at least in the Woodstock store plenty of stock at the reduced price. Kind of like how I ended up with 20 bags of Weber Charcoal at 4 bucks and change.

Last edited:
Rich, I believe and it was discussed they did recall them but really don't know if that applied to the floor models. I know in my Lowes after the recall they had marked down a few EX6's to $989 so I doubt they had the fixes. My guess it applied to un-opened stock but I really don't know.

A "recall" implies all sold units were returned, which was not the case. Unsold units were returned to Weber for "refurbishing."

A "recall" implies all sold units were returned, which was not the case. Unsold units were returned to Weber for "refurbishing."
Apparently what ever you want to call it it didn't happen. I went back today to get a couple of more bags of pellets. I talked to the sales person in the grill area and he said those had been sitting in the back for a long time and they decide to assemble them and put them out for Christmas.

It seems the floor models in some places are probably in limbo, but they should still be marked way down below the lower priced new gen 2's? People that buy them will have to complain to Weber to get the updates. I heard the same thing as Rich. They're still out of my price range-I'm happy with the deal I got on my T575.

I doubt Weber is discontinuing the pellets. They say the Weber pellets are designed for the SF.
I wonder why it is only Hickory that is on sale. Maybe they are re-formulating them? Regardless of the reason, I have 5 bags so far. Thankful for the sale. But the covers are on clearance as well at Lowes, so not sure what it going on. Might be just a matter of them having too much stock of both the Hickory and covers.

In my Lowes if you look at the link above the Grillmaster and Hickory were on sale or clearance whatever you want to call it most likely clearance as if you notice in that link there are 2 different item numbers for the ones that are regular price so I assume you can still special order down the road. I think the reason the Apple were not marked down is they probably never carried that in stock so their was no inventory to blow out.

Bruno I was not inferring that Weber was discontinuing their pellets I just think that Lowes is as a stock item but I guess you will see in the springtime. This happened in HD a few years ago with the Weber Charcoal they blew the stock out but I believe you could still order it delivered to the store for pickup or to your home

Lowe's is a fickle vendor. Truly big box going for low bid products. With the biggest margin and smallest problem. About two years ago, Weber was the major BBQ in HD, now it is something else. Weber pellets are priced at twice the money as others in the same shelf space, which means lower turn over, which means less profit. Simple economics.

A search shows both SF models no longer for sale at Lowes.
I just checked the Prescott Lowes web site and they say none available at the Prescott store, interesting as there were 4 EX4s and 1 EX6 on the floor in the grill area at about 2:30 pm yesterday when I went back to get some more pellets. I also checked the Phoenix area stores and they all say unavailable for store pickup but delivery is available.

My guess is that Weber will my make another big push this spring as bbq season starts back up. They can’t afford to be knocked out of this market, and now that they have fixed the many if it’s issues, they need to convince people to give it a chance.

I would like to have an EX-4 as a second pellet grill, but the Recteq Bullseye stainless pellet kettle makes an interesting alternative for less money and the opportunity to adapt kettle grates and even the Weber GBS attachments. It can do low and slow or searing hot like the SmokeFire.

I finally got to fire up my EX4 today. I put it together a couple of days ago, but because of weather I didn't really have a chance to even do a burn off until tonight. It was 44 degrees outside and windy. The unit got up to 475 in about 13 minutes. I kept it going for about an hour and then did a shut down. I did a software/firmware update before the first burn, but after I was done, they asked me to do another one. Kind of surprising, but so far so good. One thing that they haven't fixed yet is the initial burn in has conflicting instructions. The unit itself says to immediately close the lid, the app says keep it open until you see smoke. Thought they would have gotten consistent on that by now. Also, the instructions now says do the initial burn in at 450 instead of 600 as they said previously.

I see why people stuck with it through all the issues. It is a solid unit. Well built. Looks really slick as well. Tomorrow I am going to try some beef ribs on it for my first cook. I really haven't been this excited about a grilling unit since I bought my Performer like 10 years ago.

Back